No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, I'm not at all impressed with it. We cerakote parts at work (Leatherman) and it really isn't much better than paint in my mind. It flakes/chips easily and is complicated to do correctly. Timing of every step has to be just right or you get a mediocre result.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      Honestly, I'm not at all impressed with it. We cerakote parts at work (Leatherman) and it really isn't much better than paint in my mind. It flakes/chips easily and is complicated to do correctly. Timing of every step has to be just right or you get a mediocre result.
      That's odd, what are you guys using for surface prep? I've sprayed various metals and polymers at my friends shop and haven't experienced any problems beyond my first piece. That one ended up rough feeling because I didn't want to spray it too heavy. Can you go into how it is complicated and how timing is everything? I'm not seeing how it is complicated, bjt i used to paint cars and people would say "Oh man that's so hard to do" or something similar, I'd end up scratching my head trying to understand how it was so hard.

Comment

Ugh, I got too many hobbies. I really need to find the motivation to make some adjustments to the Brake pedal and master cylinders on the dumpster fire, Just can't find the motivation to make it happen.
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

hey.. today is 3/25!
          have a little motivation...
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          '90 325i sedan daily driven
          '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
            That's odd, what are you guys using for surface prep? I've sprayed various metals and polymers at my friends shop and haven't experienced any problems beyond my first piece. That one ended up rough feeling because I didn't want to spray it too heavy. Can you go into how it is complicated and how timing is everything? I'm not seeing how it is complicated, bjt i used to paint cars and people would say "Oh man that's so hard to do" or something similar, I'd end up scratching my head trying to understand how it was so hard.
            We currently have it done out of house but are working on bringing it in house.

It gets complicated because there is a short window for spray time, then there is a flash time before baking, ramp up and down temperatures and times for the oven, correct temperatures, humidity, etc. Lots of variables that have to be right. In researching bringing it in house, we've heard from others that they don't even spray some colors past a certain time at night because the temperature change.

"Regular" paint is a bit more forgiving.

I'm by no means an expert though. All my knowledge is learn second hand.

Comment

First time hearing of cerakote. WHat's so good about it? And what is it?
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

It's a ceramic coating that's finish is similar to powdercoat, but it's not limited to metals like powdercoating is.
                m106 1990 e30
                e36 daily
                e32 cruiser

Comment

We currently have it done out of house but are working on bringing it in house.

It gets complicated because there is a short window for spray time, then there is a flash time before baking, ramp up and down temperatures and times for the oven, correct temperatures, humidity, etc. Lots of variables that have to be right. In researching bringing it in house, we've heard from others that they don't even spray some colors past a certain time at night because the temperature change.

"Regular" paint is a bit more forgiving.

I'm by no means an expert though. All my knowledge is learn second hand.
                  Weird, I've never heard of that, and I know a few people that spray cerakote. I think the guy you farm the work out to is retarded. Pot life of cerakote is 2 hours, flash time is 5 to 15 minutes at I want to say 150 degrees and you only need that if you are using stencils for a different color. Ramp up and down temp and times? What the hell is that? Turn your oven on before to spray, then move your parts into the oven and if they are metal you bake them at 300 for an hour. Temp and humidity really don't affect a stream of fluid that is 6 inches from what you are spraying.

Like i said you guys were fed a ton of bullshit and it sounds like someone was trying to cover their ass by saying it's hard to spray when it's literally just like spraying paint.

Comment

Temp and humidity really don't affect a stream of fluid that is 6 inches from what you are spraying.
                    That's very not true for regular paint. But dunno shit about cerakote.

Nor Chillicothe, for that matter...

t
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
                      Air pressure has a bigger affect, more so if you are using a sata spray gun. Then again i have always sprayed in a heated down draft

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
                        You aren't missing much as far as Chillicothe is concerened, trust me

Comment

Originally posted by Mediumrarechicken View Post
                          Weird, I've never heard of that, and I know a few people that spray cerakote. I think the guy you farm the work out to is retarded. Pot life of cerakote is 2 hours, flash time is 5 to 15 minutes at I want to say 150 degrees and you only need that if you are using stencils for a different color. Ramp up and down temp and times? What the hell is that? Turn your oven on before to spray, then move your parts into the oven and if they are metal you bake them at 300 for an hour. Temp and humidity really don't affect a stream of fluid that is 6 inches from what you are spraying.

Like i said you guys were fed a ton of bullshit and it sounds like someone was trying to cover their ass by saying it's hard to spray when it's literally just like spraying paint.
                          This is what our engineer has found while researching and developing an in house process. This isn't bullshit. All this information has come from reputable applicators and from Cerakote themselves.

It gets a lot more complicated when you are using robots to apply it.

Comment

This is what our engineer has found while researching and developing an in house process. This isn't bullshit. All this information has come from reputable applicators and from Cerakote themselves.

It gets a lot more complicated when you are using robots to apply it.
                            Well maybe I'm just lucky then.

Comment

Or there's more than one way to skin a chicken.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                                Or there's more than one way to skin a chicken.
                                I see what you did there

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Working...
                                X