Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member - 1989 325ix and Evo

Hey all,

I recently traded a Saturn for a 325ix that needed some love, and figured that this would be a good time to join the site, as I was but a lurker since I picked the car up.

Some progress/plans I have for the car:

Plans

The exterior of the car needs some work, but the grime that was all over this car essentially preserved most everything under it, so my first phase has been to bring the OEM paint back up. The fender flares, the front and rear bumpers, the side skirts, and part of the driver's fender all need to be repainted, and the car needs a hood as well (someone stepped on it).

The last two days I spent buffing the car by hand with compound, and I was shocked to see how it looked underneath, minus the parts spray painted by the previous owner. I have slowly been working overspray off the car as well.

The Auto trans only has reverse gear, and I've since sourced a new trans/tcase, replaced the input shaft seals, and got the old trans out.

After tearing into it thus far it is obvious that the car was garage kept before the last owner had it, and the last owner only had it for two months, in which time he almost destroyed it. All weatherstripping, foam pieces, etc are all in fantastic shape without any dry rotted plastic. The dash has but one 2" crack in it as well!

Parts needed:

-Exhaust (2' of pipe missing, no cat, and fart can currently on there)
    -Fog lights and corner bumper lights - Purchased
    -Hood (dented severely)
    -IS Lip (blunttech) - Purchased

Modification Plans:

-HD Bilsteins and IX specific H&R Springs
    -Possible rear swaybar upgrade

Pictures

Before (door) and after (quarter):

Drivers Side Buffed and Waxed. The original paint on the car is very rich.

The back quarter and trunk came out great as well.

Areas of concern. First, the rear bumper and rusty battery tray/valance (and rice exhaust). Then, the jacked up front bumper and hood. Then, the drivers fender.

Passenger side came out great:

And this is how clean the underside of the trunk lid was without me touching anything.

FWIW, my other car is a 2003 Mitsu Evo that I've spent the last few years building. She's set up with a 2.4L, 280 Cams, Ohlins, etc.

Picture:

Idle:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Anyway, seems like a great community thus far, and seeing how [over] engineered the 325ix is has me excited to dive into the platform.
    Last edited by AWDBOB; 08-24-2013, 09:29 AM.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

The ix is still salvageable, but it's one of those "cut out the rust and weld in panels" type of deals in at least two places. Check under the driver's side carpet for rust, too.

Just to settle my curiousity--did the person who installed the fart can also paint the wheels black and wreck the transmission?
    '90 zinno 325iS

Comment

That poor ix! glad to see you're saving it. sadly I believe most of the ix's left are being treated as beaters, or completely neglected.

I'd consider a 5-speed swap while you're at it. you need the stuff to do a clutch, pedals, MC/slave, lines, and at the very least, the front half of a manual TC, or an entire manual TC if you can't find a cheap dead one.

since reverse works, it's probably worth doing the jack test to see if the VC functions - if it does, then you can use the internals and rear half with a 5-speed swap. if it doesn't work, a 5 speed swap is even more appealing as you need a new TC anyway.

the driveshafts and everything else are the same between manual/auto. the car is so much better with a 5-speed!

if your evo is an example of what we can expect out of the ix, this should be pretty good! most of the evo's I see around here are riced out piles of shit.. :(
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have always wanted an understated ix that has the ability to poop on Evos and STi's ;)

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

AWD HOARDER! lolol! I've been wanting to get one for a while now but most are beat to shit :(
          sigpic

Comment

I've seen this car before, my buddy was looking at it. Glad to see its at a good home though!
            Good luck with it and nice evo by the way
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Judging by your evo i think i can safely say you'll make the e30 look good too

Comment

Originally posted by goldenbb View Post
                The ix is still salvageable, but it's one of those "cut out the rust and weld in panels" type of deals in at least two places. Check under the driver's side carpet for rust, too.

Just to settle my curiousity--did the person who installed the fart can also paint the wheels black and wreck the transmission?
                Let your curiosity be settled. The car was garage kept and beautiful before he destroyed it in the short time he had the car. I'll check under the carpet too, thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                That poor ix! glad to see you're saving it. sadly I believe most of the ix's left are being treated as beaters, or completely neglected.

I'd consider a 5-speed swap while you're at it. you need the stuff to do a clutch, pedals, MC/slave, lines, and at the very least, the front half of a manual TC, or an entire manual TC if you can't find a cheap dead one.

since reverse works, it's probably worth doing the jack test to see if the VC functions - if it does, then you can use the internals and rear half with a 5-speed swap. if it doesn't work, a 5 speed swap is even more appealing as you need a new TC anyway.

the driveshafts and everything else are the same between manual/auto. the car is so much better with a 5-speed!

if your evo is an example of what we can expect out of the ix, this should be pretty good! most of the evo's I see around here are riced out piles of shit.. :(
                It really is a shame. Most of the IXs I see around here are used as beaters and it kills me to see people let 'em go.

I actually already purchased an automatic trans and tcase with a good VC that had ~80K on it. I replaced the steel seals that people say go bad. A manual swap would've surely been ideal, but for now I need to get her kickin' to relieve the Evo from daily duty!

You're damn right about the Evos, too. Kids buy them, trash them, and sell them. However, when done correctly, they're an awesome platform to work with. They just don't look as cool as the E30s!

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                I have always wanted an understated ix that has the ability to poop on Evos and STi's ;)
                I don't blame you, man! Sleepers FTW.

Originally posted by 808e30325i View Post
                AWD HOARDER! lolol! I've been wanting to get one for a while now but most are beat to shit :(
                Yep, people kill them, man. Every once in a while a nice, low mile, one owner car will pop up, but at that point you're looking at a $25-30K price tag.

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                I've seen this car before, my buddy was looking at it. Glad to see its at a good home though!
                Good luck with it and nice evo by the way
                Thanks, man! Car needs some work [obviously] but I think it's going to be a fun little project.

Originally posted by INDOMI View Post
                Judging by your evo i think i can safely say you'll make the e30 look good too
                Thanks man, that's the plan. The IS lip is here, and I already can't decide if it should go black or red.

Comment

Red :D
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Red :D
                    After some investigation, I think I agree :)

----

Also, I need a stock cat (have a catback), a drivers fender, and a hood if anyone has any of that!

Comment

Glad to see you're saving it...I also have an ix '91..took me a while to find a clean one..I need to make a thread on here to show progress..

Sent from my GS4 Active
                      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
                      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Car looks awesome!

My little brother (Addison325ix) has a pretty clean gray IX as well! Part of me wanted to dump this one before it becomes a money pit, but I think I'm going to stick it out.

Some pictures of his ride:

Comment

Way to renew the paint, looks like a million bucks!

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                          You're damn right about the Evos, too. Kids buy them, trash them, and sell them. However, when done correctly, they're an awesome platform to work with. They just don't look as cool as the E30s!
                          You're alright.
                          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Cool Red Ix ;)
                            Last edited by litu; 08-01-2014, 09:37 PM.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                            https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

nice to see another ix
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377526878.355331.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	7159873

and yes check the floor board underneath the carpet just to see what's there, it may fine down there...this is what turned out to be under the rug in my ix

rear passenger:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377527684.288289.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	7159874
                              front passenger:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377527741.487298.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	7159875