Fully refurbished OEM BMW Alpine CM5907 and CM5908 slider radios, Trunk Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bradnic View Post

This is the key part needed. Let me know what amp you've gone with and we can build it.

Cool I am thinking of pulling out my old 5 channel amp and run a passive sub.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Hello Gents,
      Apologies for derailing the thread a bit, in but this is one of the few alive threads regarding E30 radios. Especially the CM 5908.
      I think I shorted something inside the unit today. the left side of the unit was moving and while driving I pushed it in, which for some reason triggered the anti-theft feature. In an attempt to get the code screen I shut down the car and turned it back on. After that the radio did not turn back on at all. Its now dead and not responding. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Also very interested in the Bluetooth addition and looking forward to the new version. I am using an FM transmitter, which does the trick but absolutely does not belong in this car.

Comment

sounds like you shorted power to ground. Check the glass fuse in the back of the radio, and the fuse in your car.

I expect to share news on some Cantaloupe BT developments towards end of the year
        Last edited by bradnic; 07-28-2023, 04:27 AM.
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

sounds like you shorted power to ground. Check the glass fuse in the back of the radio, and the fuse in your car.

I expect to share news on some Canteloupe BT developments towards end of the year
          That was it. Thank you... for both replies.

Comment

Any update on the BT setup? Would love to continue to display the factory stereo in my M3.

Comment

Originally posted by spencurburgring View Post
              Any update on the BT setup? Would love to continue to display the factory stereo in my M3.
              spencurburgring Cantaloupe continues to make progress on some new product. I don't have a production date for you yet, but what I've seen from them is very compelling. Will def post here once I have info I can share.
              Last edited by bradnic; 07-28-2023, 04:27 AM.

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

spencurburgring Cantaloupe continues to make progress on some new product. I don't have a production date for you yet, but what I've seen from them is very compelling. Will def post here once I have info I can share.
                BIG NEWS FROM jaysterling and Cantaloupe Radio!!
                https://cantalouperadio.com/pages/co...bluetooth-kits

One Series, Three Models

For technical reasons, having one product support all 4 radios would have been impossible or very expensive. The core design is shared by all, but with some different components and accessories.

Thus, we are naming the series the BA30 series. Within it, we'll have three models:
                • BA31 - For CM5908
                • BA32F - For CM5905 & CM5907
                • BA32J - For AJ8700 (Jaguar!)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bradnic; 07-28-2023, 04:28 AM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

This is awesome. I am looking forward to the Amp+ the most. And I just changed all the capacitors on a spare radio amp I got from the junkyard.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221004_031230933.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	10089142Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221004_054308172.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	10089143

Does the Display+ work with both types of screens? I tried to buy a replacement on eBay but it wasn't compatible with my radio. Turns out there are multiple versions of the screen for the same CM5908.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221004_231244630.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	10089144

Comment

Originally posted by amarino View Post
                    This is awesome. I am looking forward to the Amp+ the most. And I just changed all the capacitors on a spare radio amp I got from the junkyard.
                    amarino definitely circuit board damage on that amp board. make sure you're using automotive grade caps and have fun :-)

Originally posted by amarino View Post
                    Does the Display+ work with both types of screens? I tried to buy a replacement on eBay but it wasn't compatible with my radio. Turns out there are multiple versions of the screen for the same CM5908.
                    Yes there are a couple of suppliers. You may have something else going on with the main board though. The Canteloupe Display+ module includes a high-res LCD and has it's own connection to the BA31 board. So yes it replaces the existing LCD module in the 5908.

BTW this is what makes the Cantaloupe stuff so cool - the original hardware still thinks the tape deck is installed, and now the original LCD and amp board.
                    Last edited by bradnic; 07-28-2023, 04:29 AM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Yeah those traces were toast. I had to solder few jumper wires to replace them and it works great. But definitely going to think about getting all new BA31 with Display+ and Amp+ once available.

Comment

God, this is a must. I will do my best to wait for drop, but please let us know here asap! I want one.

You mentioned that you can't say a price, but do you have a broad estimation? I'd better start saving!
                        sigpic1989 325i Cirrusblau Sedan-Sold
                        1989 BMW 325ix-Sold
                        1991 325ix-Sold
                        1988 325iX-

Comment

I'm coming out of deep retirement to get one of these.

I don't know what radio came in the 1988 e30 m3 but that's what I have right now, and I would like to have it upgraded/blessed by you audiophile nerds.
                          world renown Harry Potter expert
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                            I'm coming out of deep retirement to get one of these.

I don't know what radio came in the 1988 e30 m3 but that's what I have right now, and I would like to have it upgraded/blessed by you audiophile nerds.
                            you're right on the borderline switch from 2 to 4 channel radios, and before the 5908 came out. So if you have the fader knob above the HVAC panel you have an AM/FM button on your 2-channel 5905. Drop me a note bradnic at oemhifi.com and I can walk you through some options.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

you're right on the borderline switch from 2 to 4 channel radios, and before the 5908 came out. So if you have the fader knob above the HVAC panel you have an AM/FM button on your 2-channel 5905. Drop me a note bradnic at oemhifi.com and I can walk you through some options.
                              Email and Facebook Message sent. Let's spend some money!
                              world renown Harry Potter expert
                              sigpic

Comment

Great to see you coming back! Would there be a way to connect this board while keeping the tape deck functional? Perhaps have it think it's using the CD Changer? Even if it's a standalone box(if space is an issue).

Comment

Working...
                                X