335i
    Curb weight: 3571
    HP: 300
    Power/weight ratio: 11.90

332is (my car)
    Curb weight: 2720
    HP: 266
    Power/weight ratio: 10.25

Peak power is rather irrelevant in drag racing, unless you have a CVT. Your power/weight ratio may be better at a certain RPM, but is that the case the whole way through your usable power band? It may be, I'm not doubting you. Just saying peak power isn't the whole story.

An example, my friends 475whp Integra Type R only makes 475whp at 8000 rpm's or so. At 7000, it's probably only 425. At 6000 it's probably only 350. A muscle car that makes 425whp flat from 3k to 6k, even if a bit heavier, would probably beat it. And if they both started at 3k rpm's or so, it would be a joke. The integra has a much better peak power to weight ratio, but it doesn't show the whole story.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

The thing is, the teg driver would have to be retarded to drop down as low as 3k.

Running through the gears he probably never drops below 6k, and at higher speeds in a longer gear you spend a lot of time near redline.

Power under the curve is all important, but in a street pull you're really only going to see the top end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Two View Post
        The thing is, the teg driver would have to be retarded to drop down as low as 3k.

Running through the gears he probably never drops below 6k, and at higher speeds in a longer gear you spend a lot of time near redline.

Power under the curve is all important, but in a street pull you're really only going to see the top end.

OK, my point wasn't exact. I'm just saying, you can't just look at peak numbers. You'll still see a 3k RPM range that power can vary in. When you're talking about motors that are within 30hp or so of each other, that is important.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          OK, my point wasn't exact. I'm just saying, you can't just look at peak numbers. You'll still see a 3k RPM range that power can vary in. When you're talking about motors that are within 30hp or so of each other, that is important.
          Gotcha. Point taken :D
          I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_E30 View Post
            Not bad.

Would it be cheaper if you swap a M52? Fuck i am such a newb, i wish i have the skills to do work on my own cars lol :(
            The cheapest and most powerful would be an S50 swap because it doesn't require any OBD1 conversion. You might be able to find a low mileage M52 cheaper than an S50 but there's the added parts and time required to convert everything. PM me if you have more specific questions and I'll give you the rundown.
            '89 325is S50 Track Montser
            '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

This is "Yoshi Slides @ ODS 1/23/10" by pr0craztinazn on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

not my best by far but you get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Devin1205 View Post
                I agree that there is the right way as I too have been a bmw tech for over 10 years and have training on e36s to our s85's(which like to drop valves) not every motor needs all those parts and thats why engine builders get paid good to replace whats needed and not shoot every part just because it might have a few miles on them. most of us know that many of these motors will way out last our cars with the current rate of destruction so I don't believe in spending money (unless customers want the extra extra insurance) when funds could be stretched to other needed parts. to add a little up 1k for head 1k for bottomend (which is way over priced) is 2k total and you got a new motor, not 5k. lets rebuild these great cars one at a time without trowing our hard earned money out the window(again not saying you are) i just like to give people educated choices for themselves to make.
                WTF, my machine work alone cost me 1+K, not to mention all the gaskets, seals, bearings, bolts, rings, pistons, the actual engine, and a bunch of other stuff. 5k is pretty dead on.
                -Alex

Comment

yeah I want to know how you do a full rebuild (not just a reseal) on a 24v head for $1000, parts and labor. lol.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

smexy 0 mile crank?

-Alex

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      yeah I want to know how you do a full rebuild (not just a reseal) on a 24v head for $1000, parts and labor. lol.
                      He's spending $1000 on gasket sealer.
                      '89 325is S50 Track Montser
                      '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Originally posted by Uber E30 View Post
                        smexy 0 mile crank?

Look at those sexy hands.
                        Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
                        Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
                        Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

Originally posted by jrdeamicis View Post
                          Look at those sexy hands.
                          I know! Lets finish this bad boy up!
                          -Alex

Comment

Working...
                          X