No announcement yet.

M50 swap that will blow your mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reached out to him a couple months ago and received no response. Personally I'm going with the X3 setup which considering you have to cut and rethread the shaft anyways, you should have no issue using the stock e30 clevis.
    2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
    1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
    1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

You need to find a Metric female T fitting from an aircraft/automotive supply store. I got mine from Deering Industries in Long Beach.

Did your e30 brake master have 3 lines leading into it or something? Both my 1991 318i and 1992 325i have only two lines bolting into the stock brake master. I picked up a e83 booster today for the 318i undergoing a S50 swap at the moment, trying to figure things out before I get to town and install this thing. I don't see why I couldn't just use M12 to M10 adapters and bolt the existing lines right into the new e83 brake master.

If things work out I might upgrade the 944 booster that I have currently in the Mtech.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
      1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
      1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
      1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
      1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
      1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
      Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
      1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
      1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post

Did your e30 brake master have 3 lines leading into it or something? Both my 1991 318i and 1992 325i have only two lines bolting into the stock brake master. I picked up a e83 booster today for the 318i undergoing a S50 swap at the moment, trying to figure things out before I get to town and install this thing. I don't see why I couldn't just use M12 to M10 adapters and bolt the existing lines right into the new e83 brake master.

If things work out I might upgrade the 944 booster that I have currently in the Mtech.
        I had the E90 master and the X3 master (and booster) for my S54 (neither fit) and both of those only had 2 lines on them,

I ended up going 944 Booster with the original E30 master, worked really well on my BBK.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

So now that I'm actually getting into the x3 booster/master setup, I'm seeing 2 issues. First is that the spacing between mounting bolts is a good amount larger than stock. I'm having to do quite a bit of enlarging to the stock holes to allow fitment, and then once it's in place there is bracket in the footwell that restricts threading a nut on. Not quite what I was expecting this this "bolt in" solution. Second problem is that the rod that the clevis threads on to isn't quite long enough. It will engage the brake pedal, but the pedal sits in about half an inch. I'll probably end up cutting the rod off and welding an appropriate thread/pitch bolt on there so I can get the length that I need.

Has anyone else run into similar issues?

Edit: I'm now concluding that the x3 booster doesnt fit AT ALL... at least not with my mix of parts and assuming I've done everything correctly, which I'd like to imagine I have. The M50 intake manifold is definitely coming into contact with the booster to the point that I can't even get it to seat correctly on the head. Ugh, I'm not too happy about it. I actually have a 944 booster that was originally slated for this swap and looking at it again, it looks like such a better fit. All 4 mounting bolts will work in the stock mounting holes. You can keep the stock MC and at the very least don't have to buy adapters to convert the hard lines. The input shaft is already the correct diameter and thread pitch, so you just have to extend the threads, not grind it down and create completely new ones (which was honestly super ghetto). I will admit I want the "new car" brake feel which the x3/e90 swap promises, but given that I just want to FUCKING FINISH THIS SWAP, I'll likely have to run what I already have access to.
          Last edited by dadsbmw; 01-03-2020, 05:28 PM.
          1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
          1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Any leads on those pins? Or a drawing so I can have one made.
            Messaged Noshow20x96 a while back, but I guess he's NLA.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
              Any leads on those pins? Or a drawing so I can have one made.
              Messaged Noshow20x96 a while back, but I guess he's NLA.
              IMO the pin is unnecessary. The shaft/clevis on the e90 booster isnt long enough to properly engage the brake pedal anyways, so there's no point in solving for using the e90 clevis. I cut the clevis off the e90 and welded a 10x1.5 bolt to the end and threaded the e30 clevis on, which worked perfectly. You could try to get away with threading the shaft instead of welding a bolt on, but I'm not sure it'll be long enough to give proper pedal height.

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
                So now that I'm actually getting into the x3 booster/master setup, I'm seeing 2 issues. First is that the spacing between mounting bolts is a good amount larger than stock. I'm having to do quite a bit of enlarging to the stock holes to allow fitment, and then once it's in place there is bracket in the footwell that restricts threading a nut on. Not quite what I was expecting this this "bolt in" solution. Second problem is that the rod that the clevis threads on to isn't quite long enough. It will engage the brake pedal, but the pedal sits in about half an inch. I'll probably end up cutting the rod off and welding an appropriate thread/pitch bolt on there so I can get the length that I need. Has anyone else run into similar issues? Edit: I'm now concluding that the x3 booster doesnt fit AT ALL... at least not with my mix of parts and assuming I've done everything correctly, which I'd like to imagine I have. The M50 intake manifold is definitely coming into contact with the booster to the point that I can't even get it to seat correctly on the head. Ugh, I'm not too happy about it. I actually have a 944 booster that was originally slated for this swap and looking at it again, it looks like such a better fit. All 4 mounting bolts will work in the stock mounting holes. You can keep the stock MC and at the very least don't have to buy adapters to convert the hard lines. The input shaft is already the correct diameter and thread pitch, so you just have to extend the threads, not grind it down and create completely new ones (which was honestly super ghetto). I will admit I want the "new car" brake feel which the x3/e90 swap promises, but given that I just want to FUCKING FINISH THIS SWAP, I'll likely have to run what I already have access to.
                Engine mounts determine your booster spacing, and regardless you have to shave some fins off. I had no issue installing the x3 booster and I cut off the Clevis and threaded the e30 one on for adjustability, thereÂ’s people on here who already installed the x3 with no issues at all. I didnÂ’t even have to enlarge the holes either. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can someone show me a picture what it looks like with OP's pin installed? Contradicting reading dadsbmw comment saying the shaft on the booster isn't long enough and no matter what you'll need to weld the shaft longer. My plan would be to cut the stock e90 clevis off and re thread the booster's shaft. Then, drill the stock e30 clevis to accommodate for the larger e90 booster shaft. This way the stock e30 clevis will thread right onto the e90 booster and you wouldn't need OP's pin he no longer seems to offer.

Also, if the shaft is truly too short like dadsbmw is saying, then this would not work. This would be the easiest method for the booster swap however IMO if the shaft is the correct length.

-Kevin

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	12.7 KB ID:	9901404

UbJ85Xr by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr

v49b1d5 by Kevin
                  O'Brien
                  , on Flickr
                  Last edited by KIRIEIW; 07-19-2020, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
                    So now that I'm actually getting into the x3 booster/master setup, I'm seeing 2 issues. First is that the spacing between mounting bolts is a good amount larger than stock. I'm having to do quite a bit of enlarging to the stock holes to allow fitment, and then once it's in place there is bracket in the footwell that restricts threading a nut on. Not quite what I was expecting this this "bolt in" solution. Second problem is that the rod that the clevis threads on to isn't quite long enough. It will engage the brake pedal, but the pedal sits in about half an inch. I'll probably end up cutting the rod off and welding an appropriate thread/pitch bolt on there so I can get the length that I need.

Has anyone else run into similar issues?

Edit: I'm now concluding that the x3 booster doesnt fit AT ALL... at least not with my mix of parts and assuming I've done everything correctly, which I'd like to imagine I have. The M50 intake manifold is definitely coming into contact with the booster to the point that I can't even get it to seat correctly on the head. Ugh, I'm not too happy about it. I actually have a 944 booster that was originally slated for this swap and looking at it again, it looks like such a better fit. All 4 mounting bolts will work in the stock mounting holes. You can keep the stock MC and at the very least don't have to buy adapters to convert the hard lines. The input shaft is already the correct diameter and thread pitch, so you just have to extend the threads, not grind it down and create completely new ones (which was honestly super ghetto). I will admit I want the "new car" brake feel which the x3/e90 swap promises, but given that I just want to FUCKING FINISH THIS SWAP, I'll likely have to run what I already have access to.
                    You need to remove the plate outlined in red and use the shorter (green circled) studs for mounting.

It's close, but 100% fits with M50 intake manifold

Comment

Damn that's some really good info man. I have a X3 booster but have been debating on just tossing it for a e90 booster after all the negative feedback regarding mounting them. I'll be another guinea pig and report back when I try mounting mine. If I forget to post update pics it should be in my build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by E30335i View Post
                        Engine mounts determine your booster spacing, and regardless you have to shave some fins off. I had no issue installing the x3 booster and I cut off the Clevis and threaded the e30 one on for adjustability, thereÂ’s people on here who already installed the x3 with no issues at all. I didnÂ’t even have to enlarge the holes either. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        X3 booster and reservoir? Do you have more pics showing the pedal rod etc?
                        Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
                        past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post

You need to remove the plate outlined in red and use the shorter (green circled) studs for mounting.

[img][/img]

It's close, but 100% fits with M50 intake manifold
                          [img][/img]

Is this the X3 or E60 reservoir?
                          Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
                          past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by dìegø View Post

is this the x3 or e60 reservoir?
                            x3

Comment

Just to update everyone like I said I would, the X3 booster fits perfectly. I just modified the clevis like I showed above. I'm only having one issue with this booster and that is the TPS sensor on the throttle body touches the brake reservoir (I'm using a stock M50/ S50 throttle body). Not the booster!!! So this is a very easy fix to correct. I'm using AKG engine mounts so you may have different results.

The fix for this I believe is to use a 2002 reservoir. The new 2002 reservior should press right into the stock X3 master cylinder without the need to make it a "remote reservior" however if you wanted to make it remote more power to you. Using a 2002 reservior, X3 master, and X3 booster.. I think this is the best combo for a 24v swap to date personally.

I ordered a 2002 reservior and it's on the way.
                              __________________________________________________ ________________________

edit: 2002 reservior fixed issue. X3 booster fits perfect and clears intake manifold. Also X3 master cylinder works.

IMG_9438 by Kevin O'Brien, on Flickr
                              Last edited by KIRIEIW; 05-04-2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post

Mine had 3 lines going to the master. This is probably because I have a non ABS car 85 323i. 2 of them are T'd inside the master internally though.
                                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                                X