No announcement yet.

KwikBrik: Back from the dead after 13 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished installing the rear seats today: Starting to look more and more like a real car. I cleaned up the passenger side Natur Beige rear interior panel I had: Just another firm reminder as to how bad the interior was, and to how long the car actually sat. Will be calling a local shop tomorrow to get a quote on a new top and leather for all four seats tomorrow. It’s so close. I got the exhaust wrapped up, sounds pretty good being as it’s still a stock E30 325i exhaust from the cat to the muffler. Forgot to snap a pic, but it’s on. Need to tighten the O2 sensors a bit more. Check panel shows progress. An ivory driver’s side panel was painted to see how close it could get to Natur Beige Waiting on a bunch of crap from FCP to ship. Major things that still need to be addressed: Speedometer (used cluster shipping tomorrow) Accelerator cable (E36 cable coming soon?) Driver’s side seatbelt (shipped coming soon) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just posting this here since I'm at work.

Common Part Numbers:
      • E30 hood bolts - 07119915121
      • M52 motor mount nuts - 07119915558
      • E36 accelerator cable - 35411163228
      • E30 cabriolet handle cable cap - 51181823474
      • E36 A/C line bolts (hose to compressor, unconfirmed) - 07129904067
      • E30 cabriolet cover hinge shock clips - 07119932815
      • E36/M52 exhaust flange nuts (headers to collectors) - 18301737774
      • E36/M52 exhaust gaskets (headers to collectors) - 18301716888
      • E30 interior black plastic/trim nut - 16131176747

Comment

I was finally able to get the convertible top handle to play nice and release. A lot of fiddling and alignment to get the handle in there right. https://youtu.be/CGhk8UcFKJ8 I also got another cluster and set the mileage to be accurate to when the old odometer stopped. I received a plastic dash cap, thought it looked pretty good. This is a pic of it just sitting on top. Bled the brakes and I am currently getting the clutch bled. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drove it last night after confirming my electric fan works. Kicks on pretty damn late, with the temp gauge on the 3rd mark. Did the same thing in my coupe. Brakes were non-existant, even after bleeding. Retackled that today and bled all four corners 4x times, with 12 pumps of the pedal per bleed. Got more air out, and got all of the old fluid out of the system. Feels much better, but did not get a chance to drive. ABS does work, as confirmed by running it in gear and braking on jackstands.

D72A29AA-D316-4B3F-BBD2-6EA52093C3B3_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

C1FB44C0-7DB1-4FBE-AD74-5C85B95ECBD6_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Comment

https://youtu.be/RqN1a65Fbco Finally drove it! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I drove it 2.5hrs to visit a friend for the weekend, with the crap top. Made a temporary rear window with a shower liner and various adhesive. Worked great, aside from the bottom which was just hot glued. Correcting tomorrow and applying some silicone spray for canvas waterproofing. Trip home has a 90 percent chance rain. On the way, over it began to storm and rain, which was planned for, but I didn’t really test the top’s ability to actually shelter me from water beforehand. The ride over wouldn’t have been so bad if the water proofing was more intact and we didn’t get stuck in traffic for 25 minutes during the heaviest part of the storm. Water was pooling in all over the top as the rain just accumulated on the top. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since my daily driver's radiator was out and waiting on a replacement, I was driving the vert around. Today, going around a corner, the rear subframe mount tore through the body, which made for a fun drive home.
                Has anyone else had this happen? I found one post on Bimmerforums (https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...66#post7406866), but I know its a common problem on the E36/E46 chassis. Just freakin sucks!

IMG_0532 by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

IMG_0536 by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

IMG_0537 by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Comment

Happened to this guy too: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ack-zomg-helpp

Although it's more of a giant troll post and the guy never tries to fix it. I'd slam it all together and weld it up, maybe make some washer-like reinforcements around the tear.
                  Might need to get creative to access it since it's a vert but I really think this is fixable with some cutting and mig work.
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    Happened to this guy too: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...ack-zomg-helpp

Although it's more of a giant troll post and the guy never tries to fix it. I'd slam it all together and weld it up, maybe make some washer-like reinforcements around the tear.
                    Might need to get creative to access it since it's a vert but I really think this is fixable with some cutting and mig work.
                    Oh I agree, just need to wait until I have access to the equipment at the end of march. Planning on reenforcing with steel plate too.

Comment

Looks like the little brace bracket bolts were missing as its rusted in those holes?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Big update. Yes, I did finally fix the torn subframe mount, yes the lack of bolts on the bottom brace contributed. Reason why I never faced this problem before was simply for the reason that I have an LSD in this car.

Heres a pic of the hole:
                        E3715268-6BCC-411D-B3E1-4763B58AF292_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Me and my dad were able to bend everything mostly back into place and then welded it back. We just eyeballed it, but everything lined up great, even got the bracket back on there with the right bolts:
                        EF8A78D6-7A6B-4FF0-9141-A395594AB71F_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr
                        8AB117D3-1A14-4A53-BE08-9299022BAE24_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Only set a few things on fire..

Went ahead and replaced the subframe bushing on that side (can do these in about 15 minutes now):
                        DF763D1A-E635-44D3-AC60-FEB541F9B600_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Also took the additional ~10 minutes to install the rear shock mount bushings. Old ones were in superb shape as you can see below:

A7264829-9455-4E94-8C79-3C69A4201C41_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Anyway, it was decided that the month of May was going to be entirely devoted to restoring the E30 with my dad, whom I helped finish a complete restoration on a 1953 Chevrolet 3100. That means new suspension (finally), new steering (pump or rack is shot, maybe both at this point), and new paint!

Currently stuck on deciding between the original Alpine White or Toyota's Wind Chill White Pearl. Both look great, but the Wind Chill has such a crispness to it, which Alpinweiss never had from the factory.

This past week I've been stripping the car back, removing all the trim and whatnot. Currently the trunk is ready for sanding and body work:

95C9B6D0-BE7F-48A2-B2B5-B00087513EE2_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

This car had a rear collision in 1996 that wasn't repaired well. The rear bumper mount is cracked, gonna have to weld that back right. And the metalwork done on the trunk base was just bleh.

FA88F712-40FF-4BF2-BA42-972C98B5D691_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Front is basically all stripped too, even removing the hood sound deadening:
                        0594C1B9-C97B-455A-81C5-E99FCB41F124_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr
                        77739C64-C426-43EB-A077-FA47F1B30300_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

All the plastic pieces getting ready for sanding:
                        D197F49A-7DE1-4FB4-9BA9-AF32B91E1065_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Additionally, a few weeks back I finally built a good 13-button OBC. Really loving it!
                        84F49CDB-B89E-420F-BE93-E3568D76A1F4_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Comment

Did you ever resolve the brake light on your overhead panel?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                            Did you ever resolve the brake light on your overhead panel?
                            Not really, I have a CEL for a vac leak that I can't quite find and my coolant light pops on when I go around a corner too fast. I think the trick for the brake light is to hold the brakes when starting, maybe? Not sure. The taillight wiring on this thing is a mess since PO had a trailer hitch on it.
                            It is annoying though.

Comment

More progress, lots of sanding...

343338F7-EA2D-4C59-A4B9-8D8D289A7283_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr
                              1DC9EA41-3833-477C-BF33-A677B0A45EB8_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

Not a whole lof of Bondo is needed thankfully. Was able to work most of the metal flat again!
                              Also finished up the trunk, coated everything in POR 15, so no more rust.

C685A2CF-F648-4E4A-A81F-78C12BA3D5F9_1_105_c by keaton.burleson, on Flickr

The white POR-15 isn't as creamy as alpine, but the trunk is mostly carpet anyway.

Also decided to just go back with Alpine. Just easier to make everything look like it matches.

Comment

Finished the miles of sanding and got the spray booth setup on Sunday. The next day, we spent the whole day spraying and wet sanding, finally wrapping up about 1:00 AM. Here’s a few pics of the primer on the car And finally, fresh Alpine White: Still have a ton of orange peel to sand and buff out, but that was expected. Clear coat was laid down super thick. Finally, I’m getting new tires mounted on my brand spanking new Euroweaves. Was told this was one of four new sets still available in the US. Super excited as well for my IS front air dam and rear spoiler: Just for reference, here’s what the front air dam looked when I got it: The new brace on the bottom isn’t the prettiest but you won’t ever see it. Plus it’s stiff as all get out. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X