Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if he's using an E53 t-case I'd think you'd want to use it's computer too?

Originally posted by stonea View Post
    Absolutely!
    I'll see if I can get a quote on that. Could you PM me your address?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I don't think anyone's taking about the E53 T-case. If you could hack the E53 traction control module and use it to control the latter ABS, that might be interesting for off-road uses. I don't think anyone wants to use brake-based traction control in an on-pavement performance application, though.

Comment

doesn't the E53 have a locking transfer case? It was after the E46 - the Xdrive system came out sometime after that.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          Do you have a plan for electronics to control the T-case lockup?

EDIT: Front diff availability was a strong influence in my decision to go with a TR6060 for my swap. The E53 3.0d vehicles had a 3.07 front end with a "large pinion" case, but those were not sold in the US market. The E46 330xd went as far down as 2.35 with a manual transmission.

However, with the 260 available to you, you're looking at better options than I was.
          I talked to Nisse on Facebook and he said it wasn't to hard to wire up. I'm just going for a simple on/off switch. The 3.07 diff actually changes the game up. I talked to the guys on a X5 forum and they told me it was only 3.64 and 4.10. I really wanted a 3.15, but a 3.07 wouldn't be the worst idea.

*It also appears the 3.0 Z3 came with a 3.07 Torsen Diff

Originally posted by nando View Post
          if he's using an E53 t-case I'd think you'd want to use it's computer too?
          I'm not Sweedish so I'm trying to keep things relatively simple, lol.

Originally posted by nando View Post
          doesn't the E53 have a locking transfer case? It was after the E46 - the Xdrive system came out sometime after that.
          If the x5 does have a locking transfer case and it can be wired as simple as an on/off switch this too might change my plan completely. If I could get a 6 speed that would just be icing on the cake.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

The E53 uses a open tc just like E46. (But with a chain instead of gears)

I think the E53 3,07 only applies to 3.0d manual, that's where mine came from atleast :)
            E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
            E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

that's too bad.

E30 or E34 TC makes more sense then.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah, its probably good for the street and strip but not on the circuit or in the winter... :P

I really want to try gs6-37 or 53 6 speed with the atc300 tc!
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                  The E53 uses a open tc just like E46. (But with a chain instead of gears)

I think the E53 3,07 only applies to 3.0d manual, that's where mine came from atleast :)
                  I thought you were using the E34 diff.
                  Selling your 3.07? Can you snag me one? ;)
                  Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                    I talked to the guys on a X5 forum and they told me it was only 3.64 and 4.10.
                    3.64 & 4.10 *ARE* the only ratios... in the US market.
                    Actually, that's not even true, as the 4.6is had a 3.91 per RealOEM and Hollinger Interchange

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                      I thought you were using the E34 diff.
                      Seeking your 3.07? Can you snag me one? ;)
                      Oh sorry, yes I'm using the E34 diff but I got a E53 3.07 in the garage :) Hoping I can do something with it in the future..
                      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Looking through x5 transfer case's found this thread few years back..

I go to my local bmw used parts heaven/auto tech service in one all the time looking for parts and sometimes helping the guys out who sell me parts under the table from cheap to free ;) and
                        I remember seeing a lot of x5 transfer cases in the office back and I ask the guy and he tells me a lot of people have been through here wanting to get rid of it. Not long after maybe 2 to 3 months I parked next to a guy there waiting for service, he was starring at my van filled with tools and ask me for a card convo started and to skip he tells me he brought his x5 in again because another shop told him problem is coming from transfer case.. :/ He brought it there because service is affordable

just saying tho

Last edited by King Mufasa; 07-21-2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

E53's have *EXACTLY* the same problem with front driveshaft splines as E30's.

Comment

they might have it worse though, since the motors in the E53 have significantly more torque while the spline design is basically the same.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

And a much heavier car.
                              My dad snagged an e53 driveshaft... the splines are a bit bigger and aren't made on a 90 degree valley angle like the E30 splines are... but they only a little bit larger, so the loading on the splines is actually greater.

Trivia: E53's, even the 4.4's, use 188mm rear diffs and 86mm CV joints... so BMW expects the fraction of the 4.4's power that gets to the rear to be about what an M50 automatic belts out.

Comment

Stonea lent me a RWD crossmember and control arm for research purposes. Here are some pics:

Crossmembers overlapped with the front mounting holes of the RWD unit lined up on the rear holes of the AWD unit:

You can see that the AWD cars have the rack something like SIX INCHES further forward than the RWD cars, which combined with the packaging constraints of the AWD knuckle results in the weird ackerman geometry in the AWD cars.

Adjacent ball joint bosses:

More Adjacent ball joint bosses:

Adjacent engine mount locations:

Ball joint "disassembled"

Comment

Working...
                                X