This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    the input shaft is further from the diff so it should clear just fine. It didn't clear the E34 diff in the E34 pan, but that's because the E34 diff is a couple inches further forward than the E30. The E34 diff wouldn't clear the E30 rack either, at least not without modifications to the oil pan or pushing the engine further back.
    Maybe thats what I was thinking of. I need to read up on all of this stuff again.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Thanks, interesting !
      E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
      E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
      E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        Does anyone happen to know if the internals of a e30 M3 rack fit in a ix rack? I'm sure no one does and I kind of doubt it would work. If it did, I know the cost vs benefit wouldn't equal out, but I've just been thinking about it recently.
        Originally posted by nando View Post
        Won't work - they are completely different.
        Have you looked at the guts for each? Is the iX rack a different length or has the input in a different place than (I @$$ume) the E36 rack?

We know the housings and mounts are different, just wondering about the rack gear and pinion itself.

Comment

Input is in the wrong place.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Does anyone know if the 525ix outer cv joint just pulls off the axle, or if there is a c-clip or anything?

Comment

They just pull off
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                They just pull off
                Yep, thats right!
                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

the inner pulls off as i recall. it has those three little bearing wheels. i think i remember the outer having a circlip that goes the opposite way the e30's axle does?
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

No the outers just pulls of, but don't break anything :) On the inners you have to bend the locking thing around the whole CV. You will understand when you take the boot off.
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Thanks! After some gentle hammering it popped right off.

Comment

Does anyone know if the E30 outer ball joint will fit the E34? They look very similar and the locking nut is m14x1.5 on both cars. One of the outer ball joints on my 525ix is bad, and i really dont want to spend 300$ on a replacement control arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
                          Does anyone know if the E30 outer ball joint will fit the E34? They look very similar and the locking nut is m14x1.5 on both cars. One of the outer ball joints on my 525ix is bad, and i really dont want to spend 300$ on a replacement control arm.
                          Hmm i tried some parts between E34 and E30 but i dont remember everything...but i think the "cone" was different, or i just mixed that up with the tie rod ball joint :P
                          E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sebbe View Post
                            lol. i think the best thing to do would be to consult realoem. if the part numbers match, the part fits. if not, you should probably just buy the part that fits. mmmm-kay?

more than likely, an e34 rwd or e36 ball joint would be more correct than an e30's.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by flyboyx; 07-20-2016, 06:00 AM.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

that's true, but remember, on newer cars BMW broke out individual part #s for less and less assemblies. A good example would be the differentials. You could (before it all went NLA) get every nut, bolt, washer and bearing individually for an E30 diff, but on a newer car, you can only order the entire diff. on the E34 ix, BMW didn't break down the transfercase, so the individual parts are not replaceable.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

There is no OEM replacement ball joints for either the E30 or E34, only the whole control arm, a couple of aftermarket companies sell ball joints for the E30, but not E34. E36 ball joints doesnt fit, they are M12, RWD E34 ball joints are M14 so they might fit, but i can only find complete control arms.

I dont think BMW made a special ball joint for the 8000 or so 525ix's they sold. So in guessing its either a 325ix ball joint or RWD E34.

Comment

Working...
                                X