The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 510man View Post
    I used the Sanden. I had a bracket kit that came with the car when I bought. My point, somebody makes this kit so you don't have to figure it all out.
    The company that used to make them was bought by Air Products Group (APG) who I spake to. The mounting kits for e30s are no longer in production so what's available, such as the Seltec kit I bought on amazon, is "while supplies last".
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Wow! Thanks! I need to do this on my car, but I couldn't find a good DIY.
      Winner winner chicken dinner?

My Seller Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
        The company that used to make them was bought by Air Products Group (APG) who I spake to. The mounting kits for e30s are no longer in production so what's available, such as the Seltec kit I bought on amazon, is "while supplies last".
        that sucks. the compressor + adapter is quite expensive vs a reman. is the Seltec compressor really more efficient?
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          I've had a slow leak since I did my system upgrade and in 2 minutes I found it with this.

$26 at Amazon
          I have the same one.. worth every penny. where was your slow leak coming from Jeff and what did you do to fix it?
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
            that sucks. the compressor + adapter is quite expensive vs a reman. is the Seltec compressor really more efficient?
            It definitely is as well as being les than half the price of a Bosch reman. Remember, the Bosch was designed for r12 which has difference operating parameters than one designed for r134a. It's also a rotary style compressor which I've been told takes less hp to run. Kind of a no brainer if you are replacing your compressor.

I have the same one.. worth every penny. where was your slow leak coming from Jeff and what did you do to fix it?
            The only parts of my original AC system that I did not replace was the 2 hoses behind the glove box that connect to the expansion valve and go through the firewall. I mistakenly thought they were barrier hoses (and thus suitable for 134) because they said "BAR" on them. Turns out that refers to the bar/pressure rating of the hoses and they leak in several places. The smaller hose is NLA and the larger one is back ordered and is not in stock anywhere in the US.

I took a spare set of hoses to an AC shop that does classic car installs and they have no problem replacing the hose but there is corrosion in the ends of this eat since it sat open for years. I could have pulled mine, but did not want to take down the system so I bought a set of NOS hoses and will have those upgraded. If that works out well it's something I may offer if I can find enough cores.

I also have a small leak where the low pressure switch attaches to the dryer which has to be replaced anyway when I do the hoses. With that leak detector I'm pretty well 100% self sufficient with the AC.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

The AC in the two cars with Sanden compressors works just as well as the AC in my 24V car. It was flat out not as good with the stock compressor.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Bump for pressure switch write up instructions:

Comment

The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
                  Bump for pressure switch write up instructions:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=342398

Would it be possible to update the OP with places to buy the condenser, etc. for cheaper? I remember seeing forum members picking it up for $60-80 but I'm not about to sift through the thread to find them again.

I figured you might remember where they got them from?

Either way; this is on my e30 to-do list once Spring comes along. I'm tired of AC-less summers lol

Comment

It was Amazon and they're $95 nowadays. Updated the link with that one.

Comment

Thanks man
                      Appreciate it

Comment

So the compressor on the stock e30 motors can be 'updated' to function on r 134a. Can the stock compressor on an m50 have the oil changed to work in an r12 system?
                        Thanks boys,
                        Jordan

Comment

No those compressors are designed for r134.

Comment

I bet it would work fine and there should be M50 R12 compressors available
                            1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                            2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                            2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Damn is there anyone that would like to help me do this. I'm in La and not looking forward to this summer. I'll pay 50-100$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are R12 cans off Ebay any good?

Hey guys, I do not mean to derail this thread but I would love an opinion on the path I’m about to take with my A/C.
                                Several years ago I put a compressor straight from the junkyard into my ’85 325e and charged it with R134a (and a new dryer). Flying in the face of “doing the right thing” it has actually worked extremely well, until now. By that I mean that my system is stock (R12), the compressor I got was probably stock (R12), and I did nothing to “convert” anything. The eventual failure was the compressor seal.
                                I just picked up a comp (see pic) from the yard again and was going to do the same thing however I am considering getting some R12 off ebay (in cans) and charging it with that this time, since I didn’t have any appreciable leaks in my system and I think I can reasonably expect it to last for a while as such.
                                What do you think? Ya, the R12 is probably going to cost $70 or so but it’s worth it to me if it doesn’t leak out. Does anyone have experience with the R12 cans? Since my “new” comp probably has R12 oil in it already, shouldn’t it be plug and play? I read all of the dangers of mixing R134a with R12 oil so that’s just another reason I’m considering this route. Thank you for your thoughts!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X