Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benchmark Dyno Tune Completed - Stock M20 - Questions

Hi Guys,

Well, I 100% completed all turbo prep and went in to a load-bearing dyno for a few pulls. Set up is stock m20, m50/green top injectors, ms2 w/ wasted spark.

Benchmark Dyno Result was 147 to the ground w/ 141 ft lb of torque. The tuner only made 6 very small changes, nothing earth shattering. Crank taper, etc., really just refinements that my limited expertise wouldn't really know about without dumping more hours into forums and YT tutorials.

He told me that I had the tune pretty much dialed in; however, its idling at 1k and I still smell a crazy amount of exhaust during idle. He didn't even make a single change to my fuel table or ignition table, so either I hit a home run (unlikely) or he was really just concerned about the way it runs during a hard pull. If I drive it hard it drives great, which is what I had already dialed in a long time ago, so basically there was no driveability or, let's say, rolling in traffic tuning. I found this out sitting on the freeway heading back home.

I was also concerned about the injector dead time which concerns me because the dead time is not set to injector parameters, but that is what I set it to in order to make it run well for me. I think I might set it to what google says their dead time is later on today. *Could someone confirm 0.7628ms​?

Hoping I can share my current tune with someone more knowledgeable and see if you guys notice anything or have any suggestions for the lower left end of the fuel VE table, ign, or anything else. I also get a small amount of bucking when I don't touch the clutch decelerating at very slow speeds in 2nd, but I think that might be the kevlar clutch. Unsure.

This is my first attempt at tuning a car that isn't classic American or Italian, so any help is appreciated.

Latest tune from today: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ho54b...-141-final.msq

Last edited by E30Bastard; 02-09-2024, 07:17 PM.
    "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Changing the deadtime already created more oscillation, but my understanding tells me this is a good thing. Will mess with settings.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

I don't want to say it was a waste of 800 bucks, but it was a waste of 800 bucks. Miata tuners should stick with Miatas, MS2 for E30 does not equal MS2 for Miatas. Do not tell me you have an "E30 Guy" just to make 1k. No help at all today. I'm back to square one.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Fully confirmed that all they did was "tune" the WOT, which has zero changes from my own personal garage tune. Fun fkn times.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

5:47pm Bargaining
          8:19pm Denial
          9:07pm Anger
          11:27pm Acceptance
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Lol lol lol - first step to recovery before the day was done!

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Guys, if there is anyone who can take a glance I'd really appreciate it. The shop is willing to have me back at no additional cost, but I'd like to have it cinched down as much as possible before that.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

AWDBOB I believe has mesasquirt on an NA M20, but then varg has a turbo m20 which I believe is also on mega squirt.

I know there are more but these are the only two names that come to mind right now
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hit up jakeb

he’s great with m20 standalone tuning, and can do it remotely with ease for your set up, both NA and turbo
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Copy that, will do so.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                      Hit up jakeb

he’s great with m20 standalone tuning, and can do it remotely with ease for your set up, both NA and turbo
                      I just bought his standalone setup. I've been emailing him for months now about various things. Very solid dude.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

What's the question?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by It's Soda Not Pop View Post

I just bought his standalone setup. I've been emailing him for months now about various things. Very solid dude.
                          That's good to know. I'm waiting to get his setup too for my car.
                          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Hey Guys,

Looks like my MS2 is calculating AFR from my O2 voltage. There is an asterisk next to my AFR showing this. How do I get the log to spit out actual AFR or, for that matter, get my car to run on actual AFR ratio vs. O2 voltage?

See below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	megalog_screenshot.png
Views:	85
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	10114976

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Jake says he's never seen this before and I can't really find an answer myself. The AFR table was calibrated to the posted manufacturer's voltage. I didn't touch it afterwards. I opened a ticket with diyautotune. Will post a log and current tune tomorrow.

I've definitely got it running a lot better toying with VE, injector cc, injector deadtime, and reqfuel settings. Thinking I should get a 3.5 bar fpr, which is what M50 greentops need to run at the flow and deadtimes posted on the spec sheet. All fuel lines in the car have been upgraded to 50 PSI so I don't see the harm.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Working...
                              X