Early cooling system radiators NLA and options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early cooling system radiators NLA and options

Seems the early radiators have been nla for awhile and no return date in site. I'm looking at a timing belt next year and wonder if I should swap to later style pump and radiator. Is there a relatively simple way to retain the early coolant reservoir with some hose combo or just swap to everything late style.Thanks for any indo or pictures. I saw a couple of Pro3 cars retained the early tank with a later radiator but didn't get a picture of hose arrangement
    Greg Mierz
    Puget Sound BMW club member since 1978
    Board Member for over 26 years now retired
    1969 2002 ti since 1974
    1986 325is my current daily driver
    GMTechnic BMW consultation service BMW mechanical services at less than independent shops or dealer

i'd convert to the late model cooling system. radiator, water pump, expansion tank, all cooling hoses, and the cross over tube that runs along the front of the engine. frustrating not being able to get basic maintenance parts, but it is what it is.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Expansions tank is determined by water pump.

I've been converting cars to late.. Good bit or work to do it right with the chassis radiator tabs welded in and getting tank tabs just right, but back like factory. E36 plastic radiator works fine too.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

You can still use early water pump and expansion tank to keep things neat - just don't use the large tee hose under the intake manifold, use a straight tube from the t-stat housing to back of the head. No welding required.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
          i'd convert to the late model cooling system. radiator, water pump, expansion tank, all cooling hoses, and the cross over tube that runs along the front of the engine. frustrating not being able to get basic maintenance parts, but it is what it is.
          100% This, unless you're doing something where you can & want to use an electric pump.

Late rad gives much more for upgrade path (like Z3M)
          I'd argue that one of the best aesthetic parts of this is the late model reservoir (and its placement)

AFAIK the crossover pipe is NLA though...
          Also IIRC one of the standoffs are missing for the crossover pipe as well.

With the lower rad mounts not being on the frame rails, I just plopped the Z3M rad onto the early lower mounts on the rad support and it seemed to fit well enough?
          Last edited by Northern; 12-27-2022, 03:23 PM.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Those crossover tubes are something of a hot item now, aren't they? Probably the single biggest impediment to converting to a late system.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              Those crossover tubes are something of a hot item now, aren't they? Probably the single biggest impediment to converting to a late system.
              About 8yr ago, I had two double milk crates full of them and was cleaning the shop. They were like $25 used on eBay, so I tossed them. There had to be at least 2 dozen. :(
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...l/17111176900/

Maybe BMW started producing the early radiators again, or is ECS unable to actually supply them when you order? Early 323i radiators seem to be readily available in Europe, but they are smaller than the 325e radiators (the core is similar in size to the 318i radiators with the expansion tank on the side) so might not be the best option.

If you wanted to stick with the early stuff, there’s always the Zionsville all aluminium radiator - they’re expensive, but will probably outlive the car:

https://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/...g-kit-1984-87/

The price might not be so bad vs converting to the late system if the crossover tube prices become completely outrageous once you factor in all the other parts to convert to the late cooling system.
                Last edited by lukeADE335i; 12-27-2022, 05:41 PM.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

ECS's posted inventory is like hallucinating in the desert.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I've got the crossover pipe, can I use the e36 rad with the built in overflow tank not sure with model used in some 24v swaps?
                    Greg Mierz
                    1969 2002 ti since 1974
                    GMTechnic BMW consultation service BMW mechanical services at less than independent shops or dealer

Comment

That radiator should drop right in, the hoses will be off a little bit. The M42 E30 and E36 radiators are the same part number.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

With the M42 style radiator I'll just reroute the coolant reservoir hose of the long t heater hose to the radiator and later pump crossover and some upper hoses, is that right?
                        Greg Mierz
                        1969 2002 ti since 1974

Comment

It looks like FCP has the early radiators available and Schmiedmann says 30 days to order (shipping would make it more $$ but they are pretty good about showing accurate availability).

RADIATOR A=550MM - 17111176900, 17 11 1 176 900, 1176900, 17-11-1-176-900

Comment

After reading this now I am curious which system I have? The vehicle is an '89 vert, which is considered an early model body type. However, the vehicle has the newer style expansion tank that is mounted on the left/passenger side, which leads me to believe it has the late model cooling system.

Comment

Interesting

Comment

Working...
                              X