Using BMW 146 Alpine White

1. 3:1 primer all over
    2. Block sand exterior
    3. Single stage interior, Base/Clear Exterior
    "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Thanks for the tip on Naval Jelly. Was dreading having to scotchbrite my whole rear half cage.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Scotchbrite a roll cage?! That would truly suck. :-)

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Fuel Cell

We put the fuel cell in yesterday. Were pretty much decided about the fill cap on top of the trunk deck. Had everything measured and ready to cut.

However, we were not happy with how close this put the fuel cell to the back of the car. Definite rear end collision hazard for racing. Might not have passed tech.

So .... Fuel cell got pushed way forward between the tires, pretty much over the rear axle. Made it much better for safety, and also weight distribution. The only gotcha was this puts the filler cap inside the rear window, which is obviously not good. :devil: However, who says the rear window has to stay like it is? We'll just fab a new frame that makes the rear window more vertical, between the two rear pillars, anchored by the metal deck. Very cool I think. More on that later.

And finally we had a new addition to the shop yesterday. Combination metal brake, bender, roller, shear, notcher who knows what else. It might even make coffee.

Within 5 minutes of having it at the shop, Rob made this stuff. Kid with a new toy. :devil:

2002 E39 M5

Comment

We're going to paint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is a milestone. Das Beast got shipped out for PAINT!

FYI, I looked on my hard drive and it took 305 pictures to complete body work. Damn. That was a slog.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Sick!! Staying Alpine?

Comment

Yep. BMW 146 Alpine White

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Been following this for awhile and it's still so freaken sick.

Comment

Whats the make and model of your sheet metal tool? Thats a great combination. I just got a bead roller and it certainly opens up new fabrication doors.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Central Machinery 30" shear press brake and slip roll from Harbor Freight
                      Last edited by dvallis; 03-07-2017, 06:39 PM. Reason: Typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
                        However, who says the rear window has to stay like it is? We'll just fab a new frame that makes the rear window more vertical, between the two rear pillars, anchored by the metal deck. Very cool I think. More on that later.
                        I strongly suggest to not do this, because you will mess up the aerodynamics :)
                        And since this will be a racecar I think you would like the aero to be as good as possible, right?
                        This is why bmw motorsport put new c pillars with a slighter angle on the e30 m3 .

Keep up the good work! love the progress

Comment

"Mess up the aerodynamics"? Are you kidding? The E30 is a damn flying brick. It has aero like a barn door. :devil: Pretty sure my window mod is the least of its worries.
                          Last edited by dvallis; 03-08-2017, 08:55 AM. Reason: Typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

My body work was slightly inadequate for the paint guys. They are doing more sanding before paint.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Great work...what shop did you end up taking it to for paint? I'm local and will be looking for someone in the near future myself.

Comment

Econo Auto Paint on Burnett, just north of 183. Ask for the manager Ron.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X