No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deal, thanks! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
      "Mess up the aerodynamics"? Are you kidding? The E30 is a damn flying brick. It has aero like a barn door. :devil: Pretty sure my window mod is the least of its worries.
      The e30 has a CW of 0,33 if i recall correctly.
      Which is not bad at all

Comment

its more like 0.38
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Paint !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gentlemen, we have PAINT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interior, engine bay and trunk got sprayed today. We used single stage epoxy infused primer. Acts as a moisture barrier, primer and paint all in one. Not sure if the pictures do it justice, but it looks spectacular in person. Enjoy.

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
          2002 E39 M5

Comment

Damn, that looks fantastic.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

This is so exciting
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Exciting for me too. :devil: Shop owner took it as a "special project" himself. He's resanding the fenders for a better body line before we shoot primer. Might even be tomorrow.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post
                  "Mess up the aerodynamics"? Are you kidding? The E30 is a damn flying brick. It has aero like a barn door. [emoji317] Pretty sure my window mod is the least of its worries.
                  I think you would be quite suprised at the extra low pressure area and drag you will be creating by doing this mod. You will have enough power to overcome it. You are certainly not building a "momentum car" but you may have some trouble keeping the rear end in check, it will be tough to guage whether that is due to so much power, suspension, or aero, though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah, E30 aerodynamics. Kind of like discussing religion. Fortunately, aero is engineering and that's not subjective.

E30 has a CD of 0.38 and a rear window angle of 40 degrees.This research paper shows that while increasing the rear window angle does increase CD, after 45 degrees the curve flattens out.

The graph also shows why BMW engineers modified the rear window line of the E30 M3. By decreasing rear window angle by 10 degrees, they moved CD from 0.38 down to 0.33.

So my rear window mod might add 0.01 to the CD, which is no big deal. Roofline vortex generators can have a much larger impact, so I'll test those once the car is rolling.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Quick update. We had some minor paint drama. "Alpine White" did not turn out right. Bad pigment or formula mix up. Neither the shop or I like the results so we're re-painting. Need to let the car sit for a week so the paint completely cures before we paint again. Shop owner is being very cool about it, so I'm just going to Zen out. We pick up the car next Tuesday.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Subscribed. Local and would like to see this real life someday. Nice work.

Comment

Thanks. PM me and will invite you over to the shop.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

The Beast is back

Paint is finally done. Well worth the wait though. Paint guy did a great job on final finish for the fenders.

Ready to roll back into the paint booth. Notice it's not quite white.

Out of the paint booth. Now THAT is white.

And finally back at the shop.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Finally back to building the car. Will be using Massive Lee's brake kits:

Hardware for 300 x 22 front

Plus Willwood 4 piston calipers

with Hawk vaned and slotted rotors.

Should be lots of stopping power. Talking to Lee about rears now.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Had a call with Massive Lee to discuss brakes today. Since his rear kit uses a 1.25" vented rotor for cooling, we are going with 1.25" on all 4 corners. Just need to swap out the 0.81" hats for ones with a different offset and everything else stays the same.

Lee's template shows 12mm inside clearance so I'm good to go. That flat white piece is simulating my 10mm spacers.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X