Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.85 (2.9) Stroker with S50 Crank - it lives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you ran it on a Dynojet, I bet you would see +10% in your numbers. Mustang dynos notoriously read low. You're probably closer to your goal than you think, which is why it feels quick on the street!
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

something is off, a 2.9L with 272 should not peak at 4400rpm.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        something is off, a 2.9L with 272 should not peak at 4400rpm.

I’m blaming the adjustable cam gear. It seems to have shifted so much to the low end and destroyed the top end... this isn’t an eta!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

looks like some diesel car dyno

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            I’m blaming the adjustable cam gear. It seems to have shifted so much to the low end and destroyed the top end... this isn’t an eta!
            Yeah, 200ft/lbs? Should be 210hp!
            AWD > RWD

Comment

I'm fairly certain the dyno wasn't calibrated properly. I instructed them to take it to 7k and the dyno chart stops around 6. With the rpm adjustment i was in the mid 170s whp. One of these days I want to take it to another dyno shop and get the tune checked out and re-do a pull.

The last few months I was having an issue with my megasquirt where I would get no spark. After replacing the BIP373 and poking around with a multimeter for hours I determined that there was a bad lead on the adapter board between the spot where the spark output was soldered in and the actual output to the wiring harness for pin 1. I soldered in a jumper wire and she worked like a charm.

Also got the bluetooth mod done on the megasquirt in the meantime, so I've enjoyed tuning my 30 year old SOHC car via bluetooth. I mean it IS 2018 haha.

Comment

Sorry for thread bump, new here.

This build inspired me to finally set up a r3v account.

I recently picked up an entire ETA motor, i pistons, S50 crank, and some other goodies to go with my rebuilt head and new OE spec camshaft after reading through your build and some of digger's stuff.

So far I am at a total of $200 out of pocket invested, with bottom end hardware and bearings being the bulk of the remaining cost. I am shooting for ultimate budget build here, as it is my first endeavour in building a "custom" motor. I can't thank you enough for posting your info in here.

I am curious how you are enjoying it thus far.
                1989 325is - I will always be a student.

Comment

Glad to hear I could help someone out! After doing it all - fair warning - its pretty easy to go over budget. After Megasquirt and everything i was around 6k all in. you could probably do it for less depending on where you cut corners. If you have any questions feel free to PM me! The most ...interesting... part was grinding down the block for clearance.

I'm loving my engine still. I have around 8k miles on it and it has been running strong! Its done a few autocrosses and plenty of highway / around town driving. Right now I'm working on putting my wideband closer to the exhaust to help it heat up better, then I plan on re-tuning and doing another dyno on a dynojet. When that happens I'll post here.

I'm also playing with the idea of ITBs because of many reasons.

Comment

It's a slippery slope
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

It's slope covered in gear oil while you're getting blasted with a fire hose.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                        It's slope covered in gear oil while you're getting blasted with a fire hose.
                        I'm not sure truer words have been said on here lol

I decided to go with the 42mm kit - maybe in 2-3 years I'll do a "proper" head build with a 288 cam and porting and polishing, so it leaves that door open. Still ironing out the tune, but its gotten about 90 % of the way there. I'm also just running ramflow socks for the moment, I'll probably upgrade to an airbox around the end of this year.

I can't wait to get a proper dyno tune done and see what it puts down, but with the 272 and ramflows I'm not expecting anything out of this world. That being said, it does feel a bit faster, and it sounds incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by sert57 View Post
                          I'm not sure truer words have been said on here lol

I decided to go with the 42mm kit - maybe in 2-3 years I'll do a "proper" head build with a 288 cam and porting and polishing, so it leaves that door open. Still ironing out the tune, but its gotten about 90 % of the way there. I'm also just running ramflow socks for the moment, I'll probably upgrade to an airbox around the end of this year.

I can't wait to get a proper dyno tune done and see what it puts down, but with the 272 and ramflows I'm not expecting anything out of this world. That being said, it does feel a bit faster, and it sounds incredible!

Good for you on the progress. My ITB 2.9 is sitting on the stand almost a year, waiting on the finished chassis and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to see this ASAP! You going to The Vintage this weekend?

Comment

Yep! Leaving Friday morning from Marietta!

I'm thinking of meeting up with a group leaving from Chamblee area, but we will see if that happens or not.

Comment

Finally began tear down on the M20 for the build. I’ll probably be hitting you up over the next 6 months while I get it going. Thank you again, so much, for all the info!!
                                1989 325is - I will always be a student.

Comment

Working...
                                X