No announcement yet.

RHD light flywheel - review and question re noise when starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not really concerned with the starting noise any more. The noise when the starter is engaged and cranking is tinnier than before but not an ‘uh oh’ noise. I can’t give an explanation but without a doubt my ‘technique’ of releasing the key from start sooner than I think is needed is helping/eliminates the grunchy disengage noise. In summary I have no evidence as I havent removed parts or had parts break but my spider sense tells me nothing is untoward.

After about a thousand miles my obersvation is that the number one sound I hear is a ringing when on throttle.

Comment

I haven't driven my car much recently but have tried to take stock of the starting sound and honestly, I don't think I know what a stock m20 starter sounds like anymore. My RHD has become the new normal. Drive and enjoy
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

From RHD Facebook page:

Rama Rhd

June 20 at 9:59 AM ·

IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT m20 STARTERS & FLYWHEELS

Towards the end of e30 production there was a significant change to the ring gear tooth profile

WE HAVE BOTH TYPES AVAILABLE!!

Different countries got the upgrade at different times but generally around 1988-89. Some countries possibly didnt get the change at all. (If someone has more accurate information on this please let me know!)

Also many cars have since been fitted the wrong replacement starters. (cheap aftermarket (flea-bay!) starters are generally late model version) Using the wrong starter causes a lot of very harsh noise, excessive tooth wear and eventual stripping of the ring gear teeth. There is only one way to tell the difference and that is to count the teeth.

Early version FW has 137t
        Late version FW has 116t.

This change is ONLY relevant to the STARTER!!... ALL other fitment and clutch details are exactly the same, so please choose the correct one in the options if you purchase one from us.

DONT WORRY if you have the wrong one, changing to the correct starter will fix the issue... (easier than changing the FW) But be aware of this in the future!

I will offer big discount to anyone who has damaged their RHD one with the wrong starter and needs a replacement.
        1991 318iC
        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Thanks for posting. If I understand correctly it is not the tooth "profile" that changed it is a massive change to tooth count. I am frankly shocked that the same starter would even turn a 137tooth and 116tooth ring gear. Is this the issue being discussed?

In summary: count the teeth on the old one, count the teeth on the new one. if they are the same and your starter didn't eat the old one, all good on the new?

Comment

That is how I'm reading it.

Agree the starter would likely eat the flywheel in a hurry if the tooth count was different.
            1991 318iC
            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Subbed. I see a mention of using an early m20 starter on the RHD website. I do not believe that mention was on there when I bought the flywheel a couple of years back. I am using this on an s52 with g260, clutchmasters kevlar clutch and PP for m20.

It should all be going together soon but am trying to figure out which starter to use. I think I have a working one from my 87. Need to find part numbers and figure out how to identify it.
              sigpic
              Gun control means using both hands
              Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

I'm not sold on the tooth count differences, at least for US market cars. I've used early and late starters interchangeably, and have been informed by many over time there is no difference other than the physical size of the starters (early cars are bigger). I'm pretty sure all US cars had 137 tooth. Perhaps someone else can chime in?
                1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                  I'm not sold on the tooth count differences, at least for US market cars. I've used early and late starters interchangeably, and have been informed by many over time there is no difference other than the physical size of the starters (early cars are bigger). I'm pretty sure all US cars had 137 tooth. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

In the US there are only 2 sized ring gears AFIAK. I have personally done countless motor/trans/clutch swaps over the years and there are 2 sized starters that BMW used on classic cars.

Basically, the 4 valve heads all got a smaller ring gear, the single cams got the larger ones - to put it in a nutshell.

m42 starter works on an e36 (all years/engines) sometimes have to swap the electrical connectors pending year/model (some have spade, some have rings), and early starters have a single positive feedback, others have dual (easy, just ground the "k5" leg on e30). Again, simple fix, just ground the starter electrical lock out (only drawback is windows and other accys will work during engine cranking).
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    In the US there are only 2 sized ring gears AFIAK. I have personally done countless motor/trans/clutch swaps over the years and there are 2 sized starters that BMW used on classic cars.

Basically, the 4 valve heads all got a smaller ring gear, the single cams got the larger ones - to put it in a nutshell.

m42 starter works on an e36 (all years/engines) sometimes have to swap the electrical connectors pending year/model (some have spade, some have rings), and early starters have a single positive feedback, others have dual (easy, just ground the "k5" leg on e30). Again, simple fix, just ground the starter electrical lock out (only drawback is windows and other accys will work during engine cranking).
                    Exactly what I thought, and exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

dont know if this adds anything but if i recall when MM do their 240mm clucth kits for the m20 they use a m20 ring gear on a m30 FW
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I have one of these flywheels and am very concerned to even install it, I admit. Expensive job to have the flywheel replaced if it strips.

Comment

Nothing to be afraid of if you count teeth on both old and new flywheel. Its a very nice part with really no downside i have experienced in 2000 mi. Zero drivability issues whatsoever. Slightly ‘ringier’ at startup. I had a ringing sound on throttle then realized id unseated a big firewall grommet when i deleted the cruise control. Snapped it back and no ringing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My guess is he's afraid that maybe the teeth count isn't the issue.
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              My guess is he's afraid that maybe the teeth count isn't the issue.
                              Yep. I'm gonna see how this one plays out. I have a few months before needing to fit mine anyway.

Comment

I just found out since I have a 323i, this E30 has the lightest stock flywheel anyway. Is this true?

Comment

Working...
                                X