Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so, can i buy a chip destined for a 2.5 and run it>? or it plays to greatly with the mix?

Comment

Ignition timing and WOT fueling would be wrong.

Comment

so, how does the 2.7 bottome end play with these settings? i mean, i use a 2.5 ecu anyways. no?- yes. right? no? yes! no?
        i think i might be confused.. lol, what options does an I not have that the IS does.. the power ratings are the same?

Comment

alright are you talking about using the 2.7 bottom end with the 2.5 head? and if so yes you must use a chip that is designed for the 173 ecu and 1.1/1.3 motronic harness and wiring you have installed.

Comment

Originally posted by e30pwr View Post
            alright are you talking about using the 2.7 bottom end with the 2.5 head? and if so yes you must use a chip that is designed for the 173 ecu and 1.1/1.3 motronic harness and wiring you have installed.

This.

It's really about how far you take your 2.7i. If done correctly and you use the 885 head with intake, TPS, TB, wire harness etc, etc... on the ETA 2.7L block and internals, you would inevitably have to replace the ECU with one from an "i". So the chip you would use would be a 2.5 "i" (or 173 ECU) Chip.

Then boost it.
            Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

taft - that is my plan of action, lol

Comment

yeah, i thought this was the 2.5 head on a 2.7 block..
                anyways, so what does the chip do? i know it raises the rev. limiter, but apart from that it won't play too greatly with advance and so on..

Comment

^It turns it in to a whole new monster ;)

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                  1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by Sharino View Post
                    Does anybody have the details of converting a 87 325e round plug into a 88 325i wiring harness? This is the only part holding up my 2.7i upgrade
                    Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                    It should plug right in and work, but you are going to want to run the 88 harness for best results
                    Are the specific differences between these two harnesses really big, or is it worthwhile to modify the e harness if an i harness is difficult to source?
                    sigpic

Comment

e harness is trash period. :)

The e harness runs flywheel sensors and the i harness runs front crank sensor, no way to rig it....

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                      1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
                        e harness is trash period. :)

The e harness runs flywheel sensors and the i harness runs front crank sensor, no way to rig it....
                        Hah! Alright, trash it is.

So I'll need the CPS and timing wheel for the front. Other than that, are there any other sensors that need to be swapped out?
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey I'm new here. I just finished up the swap and when I went to turn the key nothing happened. Any clue what I may have done wrong everything is hooked up right. Im lost thank you.

Comment

what did you do for the starter. I am a little lost on that part lol

Comment

One more time, haven't seen a direct answer to this really. My 87 325is car and head swapped on a 2.7 eta block will run okay? I have the chance and parts to do this and want to turbo later on, drive for a year N/A, would it be okay, computer etc...

Comment

That question has been documented all over the Internet and forums, you just need to search. Yes you can put an I head on an e block, yes it will run okay, yes you will have stupid low compression which is okay I guess if you plan to turbo, and yes you will have an unmatched piston/combustion chamber design.
                                Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
                                X