Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Yet another) M42 top end refresh and engine reseal (mid-2021)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 dampers are NLA, not sure if E36s are. Ross make an aftermarket one that is very expensive but the bees knees. I think it's only to suit serpentine belt though.
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

I did not get a chance to button up the engine this weekend as I had hoped. Still waiting on lower front timing chain cover gasket, but I wanted to get the a lot of the rest done.

More soon!

1991 BMW 318is - AlpineWeiss II
      1991 BMW 318is - DiamondSchwartz
      1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Baikal
      2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 sport - Black

Comment

Nice post. I fell in love with the m42 as well. had 3 m42 powered e30s earlier this year. now it is down to just two, with one being a trackable street car and the other being a streetable race car. 1984 318i with m42 power. Only major upgrade planned is a lightweight m20 flywheel and clutch.

Screenshot_20210918-064052_Outlook by t sz, on Flickr

Screenshot_20210912-190235_Instagram by t sz, on Flickr

Bought and added the m42 powered decal on the rear window so everybody knows.

PXL_20210911_163120134 by t sz, on Flickr
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Love seeing the 318is with M42 getting it done! Thanks for posting - very nice car, took a look at your build thread!

Comment

This weekend we will likely start bolting things up. I'll update the tables to include current photos as we work through it.

I'm now prepping the head. Based on a blog post (referenced on page 1), I'll install the cams on the bench. When we install the head we will move the piston tops down to ensure valve/piston clearance.

I'm going to assume that I do not need to plastigauge the valves and pistons b/c the valves when seated do not extend past the cylinder head surface. If this is a bad assumption please let me know!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4877.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	10031984

Comment

The valves and pistons are of an interference design, although if the timing is correct they will not contact. So under normal, proper operating conditions you should not need to check piston/valve clearances.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Next question. Now that I am about to put the cams back in I see it may be more complicated than I thought.

Looking for cam tray bolt torque specs + order of operation to install the cams without breaking them. I don't have the cam installation tool but am reading don't need it necessarily.

$81 option: https://www.amazon.com/TT-9029-CAMSH.../dp/B01BKU40P4

Been googling but have yet to find a concrete walk through. Anyone have something they can point me to, I'd appreciate it. I'll post what I find here too.

Reference to camshaft bearing cap torque: http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=13245.0 - 11 ft-lbs.

The bigger question is the process to install the cam without breaking it.

Comment

You don't need the tool it's easy. To install I just snugged down nuts on one side of the caps the whole way along, then did the other side a half turn at a time, up and down the length of the cam, so it slowly pulls it down against the valve springs. I'm not sure it's the factory approved way but it works
                  sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Thanks econti and bmwman91.

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                      You don't need the tool it's easy. To install I just snugged down nuts on one side of the caps the whole way along, then did the other side a half turn at a time, up and down the length of the cam, so it slowly pulls it down against the valve springs. I'm not sure it's the factory approved way but it works
                      To summarize:
                      • Liberally apply engine assembly lube to rotating surfaces (both sides of journal + cam).
                      • Lay cam on tray
                      • Lay caps on top in correct order
                      • Install cap nuts, but only just finger tight. Try to keep cam even across the journal.
                      • Start on one side (either left most or right most) and tighten one of the nuts 1/4 turn.
                      • Repeat across length of cam, tightening the same nut (on each cap) 1/4 turn
                      • When reach the end, start over at the other side and tighten the other nut 1/4 1/2 turn
                      • Repeat across length of cam
                      • At this point all nuts should be 1/4 turn in.
                      • Repeat again and again until you have "walked" the cam in and the nuts are against the stop.
                      • Repeat one last time, torquing the nuts to 11 ft-lbs.
                      Cam tray nut torque guidance: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...m-Torque-Specs

Most likely 1/2 turn is fine too. The goal is to keep the cam even, no big bends.
                      Last edited by jsnppp; 09-26-2021, 07:59 PM. Reason: Updated based on feedback.

Comment

Yeah, that sounds about right. For the 3rd step, I would not necessarily even make them "snug", but rather get both nuts on each cap such that they are both barely finger tight and also holding the cap about even across the journal. Basically, don't cock the cap at a big angle at any point and it'll be fine. Risk of breaking the cam is low this way, but you also want to avoid any situation where caps are scraping on threads and making aluminum dust.

Comment

We bolted on the lower timing case last night. Went well - we installed the gasket, case and ancillary components. Many photos added to page one of this post to document the process.

We used the permetex spray and made sure it was very thin, not shiny. However, the nozzle sucked and it splattered a bit. I didn't want to smear it around and so left it. You can see it around the middle right of the photo below.

We have an extra gasket and so I may try doing it again just to make sure. Really don't want to have a leak..

Last edited by jsnppp; 09-26-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

So I removed the timing case to check the gasket and to verify the torque on the oil pump cover. It's been about 3 days since installation.

Of note:
                            • Slight warpage of the gasket where it sat in the air gaps between case and block. Upper right for the most part. May mean that I put too much permatex on or I didn't wait long enough or both.
                            • Splatters are still present where it didn't press between block and case
                            • There is a spare hole on the left side middle. Didn't notice that before
                            So, we will reinstall with new gasket and this time make sure that no splatters happen and it is a VERY light mist.

Then the rapid reassembly begins. Still need to put the cams in the head. I'll document that tomorrow.

Here is the case side. Note that some splatter dots are present:

I'll clean both block surface and case surface before reinstalling.
                            Last edited by jsnppp; 09-28-2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Weird, I have never seen the Permatex spray splatter like that. Which product are you using, specifically?

Comment

I'm using this spray:

I'll make sure the nozzle is clear. Was a new can, first time use!

Comment

Working...
                                X