X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeW
    replied
    Interest in Bolt on Turbo kit?

Think I can take it up to 15 psi with just ARPs and clutch swap? I don't think my clutch is stock but won't know till I get inside. No problems so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    I forgot to mention the clutch my stock clutch with low miles would not hold. I converted to the 323 m20 option. Holds just fine

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    I would recommend doing all the coolant lines. I went with the mess under the intake route everything from the dealership I think was under 200. Didn't replace the clamps all mine were good. Also you should really do the rubber fuel lines. Go oem.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    good info, thanks! I want to consider all options with the guts all opened up.

Leave a comment:

• djmossm42
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeW View Post
    Now that its running better than I thought I am getting ready to put her up in the garage and strip everything down. On the list will be:

- ARPs
    - Cleanup Simon's Mess
    - Replace Starter
    - Install COPs
    - Install Volvo Fan
    - Fix Oil Pan Screws
    - Figure out leak between engine and transmission (engine oil - not getting into clutch)
    - Replace Timing Chain

Anyone have other items they think would be useful I'm listening.
    I'm assuming that replacing the chain includes the guides and tensioner piston if it hasn't been done. Would also check all the cam and sprocket teeth. Depending on how deep you are getting into it would consider getting a lower timing case from a late M42. They ditch the idler wheel for a deflection rail. There are cases where the wheels have fractured around it's mounting points. I'm considering this myself. This will open up another can of worms though and add more to the list but if you have it opened up it's best to take care of as much as you can. There is also an updated oil pressure valve. Not sure how much better it is. The late M42s ended in early 96 before changing to the M44.

Sent from my SGH-T769

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    One thing I wanted to mention is that I wasn't really so impressed with the tune, until I replaced my O2 sensor! It made all the difference in the world and fixed an idle problem I had been having before installing the turbo. Car runs better and smoother now than it ever has.

While on the topic of fixing things. I finally got the correct dimmer switch from Pelican and as hoped it gave me back my dash lights.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Now that its running better than I thought I am getting ready to put her up in the garage and strip everything down. On the list will be:

- ARPs
    - Cleanup Simon's Mess
    - Replace Starter
    - Install COPs
    - Install Volvo Fan
    - Fix Oil Pan Screws
    - Figure out leak between engine and transmission (engine oil - not getting into clutch)
    - Replace Timing Chain

Anyone have other items they think would be useful I'm listening.

Leave a comment:

• Ocell
    replied
    Interest in Bolt on Turbo kit?

Hah! Yeah, M42s are cheap, right? Right?

I'm installing ARP head studs soon (just got them in yesterday) in preparation for that same urge.
    Last edited by Ocell; 07-26-2014, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    I'm fighting the urge to turn mine up to 12 psi. The thought, "I can always just replace the engine" really needs to be purged from my brain.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeW View Post
    So how was it?
    Scary! More because I thought something was going to brake. Thanks for the dyno.

Leave a comment:

• jdt10768
    replied
    Sounds great, how much $, available when?

Leave a comment:

• beta14ok
    replied
    Well that's just lovely Mike!!

Thanks much.

....and great job Jake!!

Leave a comment:

• Ocell
    replied
    Bless you, Mike. Bless you.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
    I had to take off my turbo to retorque my flange bolts. When i put it back on it wasn't in the exact same position hence the bypass valve didn't open. I hit about 15 before realizing what i did. Normally its around 9.5 and on cold days it will peek at 10.5. Stock motor, 175K
    So how was it?

Leave a comment:

• wazzu70
    replied
    :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X