X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeW
    replied
    2015 WRX:

Last edited by MikeW; 07-25-2014, 04:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Well, I know some have waited a long time for this.

1991 318i M42
    Boosted with Jake's Kit
    9 psi
    torque at the flywheel

Last edited by MikeW; 07-25-2014, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    I had to take off my turbo to retorque my flange bolts. When i put it back on it wasn't in the exact same position hence the bypass valve didn't open. I hit about 15 before realizing what i did. Normally its around 9.5 and on cold days it will peek at 10.5. Stock motor, 175K

Leave a comment:

• dpmcdonald
    replied
    Anyone running Jake's kit and boosting more than 9psi?

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    It's like having kids, they are all great. When I need to go grab some eggs from the market or meet a friend for drinks I find myself pulling the E30 keys off the hook most often. It's just damn good sloppy wholesome fun, and I don't have to worry about door nicks..
    Last edited by MikeW; 07-23-2014, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wazzu70
    replied
    The question is, how do the various cars compare to each other to you? What is each cars strength and weakness?

Your car sounds really fun though :)

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Also, if people want to collect their own data for their cars I will be happy to throw it on the graph. It would be great to get some stock M42 data for baseline. The key to using the App is to mount it in your car and let it do all the work. All you need to worry about is to start at each of the interval starting speeds (if you want to compare to my data set) and then tell the Ap when you mash the pedal.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Data!!!!

First I would like to thank Jake for amazing support and providing such a great value to the M42 crowd.

I must apologize but due to a job change and other stuff I never got around to the before and after Dyno. However, I think what I have done is more fun and just as useful. Okay, not just as useful, but it is at least different and a little interesting.

I have completed a power comparison of my three vehicles that include:

1. 2015 WRX

2. 1999 E36 M3 (88,000 miles unmodified)

3. 1991 E30 318i with M42 Turbo - by Jake

I did not change Jake's psi setting on the turbo, and my gauges suggest we are making around 9 psi.

To collect the data I used a great track App for my iPhone call CMS Lap Timer Pro (by Cantrell Motorsports) to record multiple highway pulls along the same flat stretch of I-10 in New Orleans. All of the data was collected on the same day, under similar conditions of temperature and pressure. The speed intervals I selected were based on what is typically used for merging into traffic, passing, or just horsing around without too much risk of death. The method used to conduct the pulls included driving at a static speed and then providing the App an audible signal when I mashed the pedal. I used this audible signal to begin my stop watch when I measured each pull interval from the video playback. The App video displays the speed based on GPS, and is very accurate and certainly reasonable for a comparison of this nature (e.g., all three were measured using the same device so precision isn’t really an issue). Using the video permitted me to conduct safe and verifiable measurements in the comfort of my home, and not while blasting down the highway. I then graphed the data and here are the results:

I am extremely impressed with the performance of Jake's turbo kit for the M42. The tune is smooth and predictable, right down to the reliable startup and idle. I believe this analysis demonstrates with somewhat objectivity what my butt already knew, the M42T performs spectacularly. Note that I used 4th gear from the 60-75 and higher intervals in the M42T. I did this because I was concerned about pushing my old engine too hard, but may revisit those intervals in third gear as I build more confidence.

I also did some very rough calculations using this comparison data to estimate peak horsepower. It suggests that we are around 180-90 HP, which is pretty much what we thought. The raw data dump from my excel spreadsheet is below. It is always interesting to observe how weight impacts acceleration using F=MA. Not all the numbers (e.g., gear ratio using average of first and second) make complete sense, but since I’m just using it to extrapolate I don’t think it matters too much. And please, if you are smarter than me and think my analysis is crap say so and why. However, keep in mind the point of this kit is to have fun, not shake up the entire Modification world. It's cheap, fun, and works awesome!

Thanks again Jake, you are the best.

Here is a link to an example of the CMS output for M42T:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...54436553035170

The three amigos:

Last edited by MikeW; 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    Sweet, I am in for that Jake. Thanks for working on it.

Leave a comment:

• jakeb
    replied
    Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
    How will this work with the MAF? Can Jake burn a chip to work with the system? Are you referring to the miller MAF?

I am planning on offering a MAF for the m42...both with and without turbo. It is still a little ways off (need to get my dyno up wand running). For anyone that has already bought the kit I will sell the MAF setup for price of the MAF parts. Tune will come free.

Leave a comment:

• brads2002
    replied
    How will this work with the MAF? Can Jake burn a chip to work with the system? Are you referring to the miller MAF?

Leave a comment:

• dpmcdonald
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff2886 View Post
    Email sent :P

Originally posted by xtos View Post
    ok thanks for your reply ppl , now that im sure A/C will stay im in .

Those of you just now ordering should order the MAF setup!

Leave a comment:

• xtos
    replied
    ok thanks for your reply ppl , now that im sure A/C will stay im in .

Leave a comment:

• Jeff2886
    replied
    Email sent :P

Leave a comment:

• Jeff2886
    replied
    Just read all 30 pages of this thread (I don't think I've ever done that on ANY forum haha).

Subbing to keep tabs on everything.
    Jake you'll likely be hearing from me soon!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X