From Boost to Reliable. M62b44 Swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
    Love the chip, smoothed out the idle noticeably. Had the car on the road once or twice and the v8 was seamless in the higher rpms. Great customer service as well. I recommend SSSquid.
    Agreed 100%, I had their chip in my m30b35 and it was fantastic. Also that exhaust is sexy, 409SS FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Tjabo View Post
      I also can't wait to find out if this ends up being a reliable setup like you expect. I have my doubts about that part, but interesting to see if an M62 can be reliable when it's in a much simpler vehicle than they are normally found in.
      There's no reason the engine would be less 'reliable' depending on the chassis it's in. I have 30k miles on my m6x swap, the only reliability issues I've had were with a few aftermarket parts like oil coolers and radiators. Stick with all factory parts and everything will work as intended.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Yeah, I didn't express myself very well. Aside from leaking fluids from every possible location, I think my M62 has been pretty reliable. However, there are so many fragile complexities and accessories around the engine in the e39 that it seems like nothing is reliable. When I really think about it though, the engine has been good.

Comment

Sound clip sometime soon?
          1991 349is (wadded up)
          1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
          2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
          1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
          1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
          2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

Originally posted by Tjabo View Post
            Yeah, I didn't express myself very well. Aside from leaking fluids from every possible location, I think my M62 has been pretty reliable. However, there are so many fragile complexities and accessories around the engine in the e39 that it seems like nothing is reliable. When I really think about it though, the engine has been good.
            Yeah true, the e39 does have the water cooled alternator, and I'm sure the OBD-II stuff can nickel and dime you to death. I was thinking more OBD-I converted m62 with everything unnecessary deleted. The engine itself is pretty solid, as long as timing guides are changed and oil pump bolts are tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipes View Post
              Sound clip sometime soon?
              Yeah, sorry been swamped at work. I'm heading down this weekend with the GoPro in hand.

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              Yeah true, the e39 does have the water cooled alternator, and I'm sure the OBD-II stuff can nickel and dime you to death. I was thinking more OBD-I converted m62 with everything unnecessary deleted. The engine itself is pretty solid, as long as timing guides are changed and oil pump bolts are tightened.
              Yeah, I agree. I was happy to find a healthy non vanos motor when I did. Convert to OBD-I and should be basically worry free. Timing guides and oil pump nut were addressed. Thinking on doing the m60 hybrid down the line as a side project! As always your car was the one that inspired me to do the v8 and your earth day post just confirmed it.
              1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                Yeah, I agree. I was happy to find a healthy non vanos motor when I did. Convert to OBD-I and should be basically worry free. Timing guides and oil pump nut were addressed. Thinking on doing the m60 hybrid down the line as a side project! As always your car was the one that inspired me to do the v8 and your earth day post just confirmed it.

Haha, tires are the most expensive part of v8 e30 ownership.

Comment

Great work so far! :) can't wait to see more.

-E
                  -ALaS

Comment

Was able to battle the coolant system and finally get the car bled after hours of tinkering with it, turns out we had the reservoir hooked up incorrectly. We are running the e32 coolant expansion tank for now.

Big push now for the track day and brodeo the first week in June.

Threw some stealth paint on the carbon steel muffler.

Also got some sticky rubber for the rear, looking forward to seeing what she can do on Road Atlanta

Working on her some more this upcoming week and I'll bring the gopro for some exhaust clips.
                    1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

When are you doing RA?
                      Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        When are you doing RA?
                        June 3rd. Hitting up the track then heading to the rally Friday night!
                        1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Had the Vintage this weekend so did get much accomplished. The week before we did manage to make a battery tie down, fit the e32 coolant bottle as our original design needed some tweaking. We also clearanced the hood for the new bottle.

To the pictures.

Managed to throw the bumpers and front end on, it's been off for 2.5 years so excuse the dust.

And a sneak peak at the next update!

Last edited by Zacm829; 05-30-2016, 05:13 PM.
                          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Let me know what all you had to do to fit the 245's in the rear I plan to run the same thing in the near future
                            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

A good roll and hammering the bump on the wheelhouse is all you need to do to fit 245s.

Originally posted by whysimon
                              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Yeah I guess it all depends on the wheels
                                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Working...
                                X