Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/C Compressor for '89 E30 - Remanufacture only option? Euro part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C Compressor for '89 E30 - Remanufacture only option? Euro part?

After being in the shop for quite a while I finally was able to take my E30 convertible on a weekend trip and the A/C compressor seized - I think my mechanic only recharged it. It was working great the day before it froze up

I've been searching for a new A/C compressor and can't come up with anything. I ordered this one initially from Rock Auto but my mechanic said that the mounts didn't line up and it wasn't even a single belt like my original:

He then sent me this picture of the original part:

Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	10058839

After doing some digging I think I need this version: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=816411&cc=1011698&pt=6628&jsn=866

I've tried calling everywhere (Napa, Carquest, etc) and no one seems to have it. Four Seasons does remanufacture them but there's none in stock and they don't appear to take cores to remanufacture them. I called my local BMW dealer and they said there was "one left" and it was $1600, but I look up the new part number he gave me and they didn't look the same. Anyone have any tips for replacing this? I'd even be willing to pay to ship something from Europe if it was available but haven't had any luck searching on my own.

Thanks for any tips

Rebuild yours
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

There are seal kits for some AC compressors, so they can be disassembled.

Comment

there is a guy that sells a bracket to mount a gineric sanden compresor onto the m20.

Welcome to BSS! We are here to provide quality performance, restoration and servicing parts for a range of classic BMWs - starting with the iconic BMW E30 with parts for 318i, 318is, 320i, 325i, 325is, 325e and even the timeless M3. Whether you have a Series 1 or 2, M42 or M20B27 - we have the parts for you!

this is the australian distributor for the guy, he is in the USA somewhere, but i cant find his website for some reason.

Just get one of these and then use a gineric Sanden compressor. they are cheap as and nice and modern.

I actually made my own bracket simliar to the attached one, and used an sdh509 sanden on my m20b23. had to modify a few lines to make it work. but nothing too exciting.

has worked flawlessly for a few yrs now.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          there is a guy that sells a bracket to mount a gineric sanden compresor onto the m20.

Welcome to BSS! We are here to provide quality performance, restoration and servicing parts for a range of classic BMWs - starting with the iconic BMW E30 with parts for 318i, 318is, 320i, 325i, 325is, 325e and even the timeless M3. Whether you have a Series 1 or 2, M42 or M20B27 - we have the parts for you!

this is the australian distributor for the guy, he is in the USA somewhere, but i cant find his website for some reason.

Just get one of these and then use a gineric Sanden compressor. they are cheap as and nice and modern.

I actually made my own bracket simliar to the attached one, and used an sdh509 sanden on my m20b23. had to modify a few lines to make it work. but nothing too exciting.

has worked flawlessly for a few yrs now.
          That’s really helpful, thanks! It won’t let me purchase since it’s in Australia so I’ll do some digging… if you come across the US distributor let me know

Comment

Here you go,

Browse all products from L.C. Wylie & Co..

Looks like he sells the modified hoses as well which should make it a bolt on job.

Comment

I was trying to find a new compressor a few years ago, but it seems that they are no longer making them.
              1990 318i 4-door, 5 speed manual, ice white

Comment

I managed to get a reconditioned one from Autocool in Perth, Western Australia, but have not had it installed yet.
                1990 318i 4-door, 5 speed manual, ice white

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                  Here you go,

Browse all products from L.C. Wylie & Co..

Looks like he sells the modified hoses as well which should make it a bolt on job.

I am in the process of installing the LC Wylie conversion in my cabrio. Layne has been great to work with.

Last year I had Discount Auto AC in Florida rebuild the compressor on my touring. I was very happy with their service and price. They keep an inventory of rebuilt compressors, so you can check to see if they have one on the shelf or send them yours for rebuild.

1992 325i Cabrio
                  1988 320i Touring
                  2000 M5
                  1977 530i
                  2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                  BMWCCA
                  E30CCA

Comment

I found mine on this website and it said NLA when I tried to check out so I called and the guy was super helpful and knowledgeable. He rebuilt mine and it was about $175 which included shipping to Hawaii and a $12 replacement bearing. Super fast turn around time too, I sent it from Hawaii to Florida on a Monday and got it back by Friday

sigpic84 325e

Comment

Good information here. My AC compressor clutch has been slowly going bad and I was unable to find parts to replace it when it finally either breaks or slips, good to know I'll be able to convert to a different unit or have mine rebuilt.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

I am in the process of installing the LC Wylie conversion in my cabrio. Layne has been great to work with.

Last year I had Discount Auto AC in Florida rebuild the compressor on my touring. I was very happy with their service and price. They keep an inventory of rebuilt compressors, so you can check to see if they have one on the shelf or send them yours for rebuild.

http://www.discountautoac-compressorparts.com/
                        Can you take some pictures of the bracket and compressor installed? Which compressor did you get? I just ordered the 5709 per Layne's advice. Have you figured out the belt length?

Comment

Originally posted by peete View Post

Can you take some pictures of the bracket and compressor installed? Which compressor did you get? I just ordered the 5709 per Layne's advice. Have you figured out the belt length?
                          Based on Layne's recommendation, I purchased the Sanden 709 compressor and Gates 9335 belt, which fit perfectly together. My challenge is the front oil cooler line. It runs right above one of the compressor hose fittings. I had the oil line modified but I still think the new AC line is too close the the exhaust header. Planning to send Layne some pics today and ask his opinion. Everything would fit together easily without the oil cooler, so my back-up plan is to move the rebuilt Seiko compressor from the touring (no oil cooler) over to the cabrio and use the Sanden on the touring. I'll post pics once I have a final solution and everything's running.
                          1992 325i Cabrio
                          1988 320i Touring
                          2000 M5
                          1977 530i
                          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                          BMWCCA
                          E30CCA

Comment

Working...
                          X