No announcement yet.

What battery should I use for my e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one here for Duralast gold... If it craps out, there are a lot of Autozones!.

Alternatively I sell mostly interstate.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

So I've got a euopean market 320i touring with an S52, the previous owner did a battery relocation to the trunk and I'm struggling to figure out what group size battery to put back there. Group 48 doesn't sit low enough to clear the plastic cover panel and searching the intergoogs hasn't really turned anything up. I guess the next step is to get out my tape measure and go to the battery store... Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8197.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	10065593
      Current Builds
      1989 S52 E30 Touring | The Grey Athletic Shoe
      1993 Toyota Landcruiser | The Trail Snail

Comment

Group 48 is 192mm tall (306L x 175W), the e30 calls for group 91, which is 175mm (280L x 175W).

Link: https://www.batteryequivalents.com/b...ize-chart.html

john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I had a Napa branded battery that lasted OK - maybe 5 years. but it was only like $100, so not too bad. Maybe I'll try Deka next - you'd think for $300, you'd get at least a year out of a battery, lol. I don't mind paying more if I can get one that doesn't die in a couple years..

I can't even blame letting it sit this time, as I was driving the E30 regularly. It maybe didn't get driven for 2-3 days, which shouldn't be enough for the battery to go flat, much less as dead as it was (4-5v IIRC). At first I thought maybe I had a drain, but the battery drains itself even disconnected from the car, and I can still charge it to 12v. So I'm pretty sure it's just crap.
          Missed this post, but you probably have/had a dead cell. Batteries should charge closer to 12.8v. They are easily repaired. I have batteries that were sitting in the shop for years with ~3v on them. Before recycling, decided to try a reconditioner, and most of them came back. It's been a long time, but I used to replace the acid in them.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgehammer_01 View Post
            So I've got a euopean market 320i touring with an S52, the previous owner did a battery relocation to the trunk and I'm struggling to figure out what group size battery to put back there. Group 48 doesn't sit low enough to clear the plastic cover panel and searching the intergoogs hasn't really turned anything up. I guess the next step is to get out my tape measure and go to the battery store... Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8197.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	10065593
            You should be aware that the person who did that relocation used the "wrong" battery with the poles reversed and did so with non OEM wiring.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Missed this post, but you probably have/had a dead cell. Batteries should charge closer to 12.8v. They are easily repaired. I have batteries that were sitting in the shop for years with ~3v on them. Before recycling, decided to try a reconditioner, and most of them came back. It's been a long time, but I used to replace the acid in them.
              I tried reconditioning, no dice. Ended up getting a different battery from Costco. so at least I can return it if it goes to shit before it should, lol.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

You should be aware that the person who did that relocation used the "wrong" battery with the poles reversed and did so with non OEM wiring.
                I'm aware. The battery he had in it was an x2 power D925, but it had dropped a cell. The relocation was never completed and the wire was just slightly short so I added in a battery disconnect switch instead of pulling a whole new wire, I know the jumper from the disconnect to the battery is garbage, it's just temporary. Since I needed a battery I looked to the forums and saw group 48's were called out but apparently only for the USD sedans and coupes so that doesn't fit. A group 91 or T5 doesn't fit, the box is very shallow. I'm trying to recondition one of the D925's that he left me with the car to see if I can get it to work, so far it's holding voltage.
                Current Builds

Comment

Originally posted by Sledgehammer_01 View Post

I'm aware. The battery he had in it was an x2 power D925, but it had dropped a cell. The relocation was never completed and the wire was just slightly short so I added in a battery disconnect switch instead of pulling a whole new wire, I know the jumper from the disconnect to the battery is garbage, it's just temporary. Since I needed a battery I looked to the forums and saw group 48's were called out but apparently only for the USD sedans and coupes so that doesn't fit. A group 91 or T5 doesn't fit, the box is very shallow. I'm trying to recondition one of the D925's that he left me with the car to see if I can get it to work, so far it's holding voltage.
                  The link I posted in post M10 has all the dimensions for all the different groups.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

yep and all of them are too tall, the dimensions of the box is something like (LxWxH) 13" x 6.75" x 5". So I'm going to go back to the D925, the one I reconditioned yesterday was sitting at 12.6v this morning after 4 hours of resting so hopefully it's good to go, it did start up the car this morning just fine. My only concern is that it sat for an unknown amount of time in a very very low state of charge, so even though it rested at 12.6v I'm sure there's some level of sulfation damage within the battery. Probably just a good idea to get a new D925 and not worry about it leaving me stranded.
                    Current Builds

Comment

You might want to change over to the tray, holder and cover. Fortunately there's an early grey market import here. Went and checked - you'd just need to pull the plastic box out and add the late model stuff.

Tray and hold down (#9&10): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_0675
                      Beauty cover (#10): https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_1754

That way you can use any late model battery that belongs in the e30.

john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

i bought a genuine battery from BMW it was only $205 for a 90AH p/n 61217604822. It is bigger than the e30 one as i wanted to fill the tray a bit better.
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                        X