Value of rebuilt ATE brakes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • iXBeater
    Grease Monkey
    • Apr 2007
    • 338

    #1

    Value of rebuilt ATE brakes

    I've got a front and rear set of ATE brakes that I'm planning to rebuild. I have new pistons/rubber/slide pins/etc. (everything) for them as well as upgraded brass bushings for all four calipers. I have new pads and StopTech Sport slotted rotors all around too. The goal was to improve braking performance as the S52 and my right foot stress out the existing stock (Girling fronts/stock rotors - no idea what the pads are) setup.

    The 4-pot Wilwood setup from Silvermine has caught my eye. I'm tempted, but would want to get value out of the ATE setup and rotors (which were $400 by themselves). My idea is to finish the rebuild, paint them nicely and maybe sell it as a kit. But I'd really want to get as much of the value of the rotos back as possible.

    The problem is I'm not sure someone would pay... $600? more? ...for them, even as a very-fresh set.

    Any thoughts appreciated! (this is legit not intended as a shadow FS ad - I might very well finish them and put them on the car)
    1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
    1986 M635Csi - For the best days
  • iXBeater
    Grease Monkey
    • Apr 2007
    • 338

    #2


    Hmmm...
    1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
    1986 M635Csi - For the best days

    Comment

    • 2mAn
      SeƱior Mod
      • Aug 2010
      • 20988

      #3
      Originally posted by iXBeater

      Hmmm...


      Theres always going to be a group who want the OEM stuff, so theres definitely value in having a rebuilt set. I recall LateFan was recently asking about where to get a rebuilt set.

      I would compare what the larger retailers charge for a rebuilt set and see if its worth doing the rebuild yourself, or even just selling your 'kit' as-is
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1966 Blue Boat
      -1969 Red VW
      -1986 White BMW
      -2006 Green Thing

      Make R3V Great Again -2020

      Comment

      • uturn
        E30 Enthusiast
        • Dec 2010
        • 1006

        #4
        Maybe drizzle some chocolate over those crickets??

        Click image for larger version

Name:	images-1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	10167974

        Comment

        • iXBeater
          Grease Monkey
          • Apr 2007
          • 338

          #5
          Originally posted by 2mAn



          Theres always going to be a group who want the OEM stuff, so theres definitely value in having a rebuilt set. I recall LateFan was recently asking about where to get a rebuilt set.

          I would compare what the larger retailers charge for a rebuilt set and see if its worth doing the rebuild yourself, or even just selling your 'kit' as-is
          Since I have all the stuff, including the brass bushing for the slide pins on all corners, I think I might as well finish it. Silvermine isn't going anywhere, and I guess I'll see how I like the rebuilt kit on the road. Better pads and all the freshness might be enough...
          1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
          1986 M635Csi - For the best days

          Comment

          • Vincenze
            E30 Enthusiast
            • Apr 2019
            • 1035

            #6
            These are prepared to order and built from client provided cores sent in for service. Turn around time is 3-4 weeks. No cores or core exchange programs are available on this item. Discontinued by the factory many years ago. Refurbished to as-new condition with stainless steel pistons and all new rubber boots, seals and

            Comment

            Working...