Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch
Collapse
X
-
n54 swap with dct trans....bam auto with stick shit capability + faster shift time and its a n54 twin turbo like 300hp stock!!! + the msrp crate sticker of like 15k but ahh its only money right.... when college time rolls around use your financial aid money for the swap -
^ No I havn't.
I think I really just need to get a bunch of these parts in hand and tinkerLeave a comment:
-
have you seen how a motorcycle clutch works?
Its just like a throttle body, the line is mounted to a lever and as you pull the handle it rotated about a 1/8-1/4 of a turn. think of it as putting a throttle body down where the clutch slave cylinder is. connect the line from the shifter mounted handle (think B&M shifter style or hurst) to the throttle like lever that is mounted to the throwout bearings arm thing. simple, easy, and plenty leverage so very little fatigue to the hand and arm. this is too easy, don;t waste time or money on pneumatics or hydraulics.Leave a comment:
-
Well ya thats what I meant.
So it can be done. It would have to be a puny brake booster though.
More on solenoid valves. Just what I need - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ALC...ND8?Pid=searchLeave a comment:
-
-
So this guy used a brake booster to power the clutch? Thats what I was thinking.Im pretty sure you cant get "free" leverage like this.
Older "classic" Minis used a remote brake booster and i sold one to a guy with an old land rover who had a bad back and couldnt push the clutch pedal in anymore. Basically a "power" clutch. Not cheap. tho. If you are going to be using a hand for a foot activity, the throttle is by far the simplest .Leave a comment:
-
Well I think what I need is a slve cylinder to mess around with. Or a master.They are used in a bunch of things, but nothing on-road that comes to mind.
It's a manual transmission that has, in place of it's bellhousing and clutch a self contained torque converter, pump, and one planetary assembly to allow for reverse.
You pick your direction on the shuttle trans, and use a button on the shifter to declutch to change gear. Since it's a fluid coupling, you can sit at a standstill/take off like an auto. Two pedals.
Honestly, making that work in an E30 would take a lot. It would be pretty slick though.
Making a hydraulic clutch work would be MUCH easier.
Because the way they work is the hydraulic fluid goes in pushes the piston, then the piston's resistance pushes it back out. Correct?
If I take my air design, I forgot to add these in the sketch.
TWO solenoid valves. One a foot away from a tank and one right by the slave.
First one would allow the air to reach the slave and push it in. Second would be a blowoff. THis is why I like air, you always have more than enough.
So they would work on a 3way button. Like on a camera.
With button in udle postition both are shut. Push down half way (to begin shift) and the first valve would open, disengaging the clutch. Push down all the way and then the first valve would close and second one would open, allowing the pressure to escape and the clutch to engage again.
Also I would put a pressure guage off the tank and mount by the ash tray or wherever to monitor my psi.Leave a comment:
-
wait so you are going to use air and not hydro fluid?
I would stick with the hand lever on the shift knob.
Why not..... kart/bike shift handle and MC(mounted in place of shift lever) and then go directly to the e30 slave cylinder. If that is too hard to use with your hand then you could go kart/bike shift handle and MC with a hydro line to a slave cylinder which would mechanically control the stock e30 clutch master cylinder in place of the pedal. This method would make it easy to switch to different cars as well.....
Does that make sense?
I would think it would be pretty easy to make.
Im pretty sure you cant get "free" leverage like this.
Older "classic" Minis used a remote brake booster and i sold one to a guy with an old land rover who had a bad back and couldnt push the clutch pedal in anymore. Basically a "power" clutch. Not cheap. tho. If you are going to be using a hand for a foot activity, the throttle is by far the simplest .Leave a comment:
-
They are used in a bunch of things, but nothing on-road that comes to mind.
It's a manual transmission that has, in place of it's bellhousing and clutch a self contained torque converter, pump, and one planetary assembly to allow for reverse.
You pick your direction on the shuttle trans, and use a button on the shifter to declutch to change gear. Since it's a fluid coupling, you can sit at a standstill/take off like an auto. Two pedals.
Honestly, making that work in an E30 would take a lot. It would be pretty slick though.
Making a hydraulic clutch work would be MUCH easier.Leave a comment:
-
Pneumatics suck for that, no feel. Stick with Hydro.
Wonder how hard it would be to get a G260 bolted to a shuttle trans?Leave a comment:
-
Or are you saying Small motorycle master cylinder
to E30 Master cylinder
to E30 slave cylinderLeave a comment:
-
Air is easier I think. Because I can just have a blowoff valve to let slave cylinder back out. Forgot to add that in the mock picture.
So are you saying use a M/C Master cylinder, mounted on shift lever, then a line directly to slave cylinder? Okay but I think it would need more power.
And to fix that problem run a hydro line? What?
Or I could get like a geo metro brake booster and use it to boost the motorycle master cylinder?Leave a comment:
-
wait so you are going to use air and not hydro fluid?
I would stick with the hand lever on the shift knob.
Why not..... kart/bike shift handle and MC(mounted in place of shift lever) and then go directly to the e30 slave cylinder. If that is too hard to use with your hand then you could go kart/bike shift handle and MC with a hydro line to a slave cylinder which would mechanically control the stock e30 clutch master cylinder in place of the pedal. This method would make it easy to switch to different cars as well.....
Does that make sense?
I would think it would be pretty easy to make.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: