Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 'Craigslist find' thread - awesome & awful (eBay, Kijiji, etc.)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope. Need more than a 70's race helmet with that rig.

Comment

Originally posted by justinpirie View Post
      Lack of cage makes it a toy in my book, and one that I wouldn’t take to the track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always chuckle when people call their track toy a racecar. If it hasn’t competed (or was built to compete) to win a class, any class, it’s not a RACE car.

Up here, you throw a cage in it, you could run ST with the S54 swap. It’s a purely HP/Weight class. I think NASA allows the same thing. For SCCA autocross I think it gets dumped in to a catch all class that is dominated by Vettes or Honda’s, though they may have splintered them off to their fwd class.

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
        I always chuckle when people call their track toy a racecar. If it hasn’t competed (or was built to compete) to win a class, any class, it’s not a RACE car.

Up here, you throw a cage in it, you could run ST with the S54 swap. It’s a purely HP/Weight class. I think NASA allows the same thing. For SCCA autocross I think it gets dumped in to a catch all class that is dominated by Vettes or Honda’s, though they may have splintered them off to their fwd class.

I have that conversation frequently when someone tells me they race cars. What series is the question... Track days is usually the answer... [emoji2357][emoji2357][emoji2357]

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
          1978 Chevron B36 - $325,000 (Philadelphia)

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...915430106.html
          Overpriced car with awful flares, gaudy M stripe paint scheme and an expensive engine in a filthy bay getting all of that attention and you fellas just ignore this cool little machine. Images rehosted for posterity because those craigslist links will probably be dead by the end of the month.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

It’s just 8.6734x more fun to rip something to shreds rather than hand out accolades.

So.... ok varg....yes. That is indeed an awesome piece of garage furniture. ;)
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

A guy can dream that it will get used as a track toy instead of a piece of decoration. At the very least it has an interesting history and far more interesting construction than ho-hum swapped E30s and only-driven-to-cars-and-coffee M3s.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              - updated 1-26

Comment

I’d love to be able to afford to race one of those, but I won’t race anything I can’t afford to lose.

It’s along the same lines of “there’s no such thing as a cheap Ferrari.” The cost of ownership is far more than just the initial buy in.

At this point in life, I’d also add old home ownership. Talk about death by a thousand cuts...

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Real racecars like that are why I love going to the Monterey Historics. Watching the Can-Am cars is such a treat

Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    That’s a racecar, I’ve seen it at the tracks multiple times. Big money parts and quality maintenance work done
                    wait, so this wasn't sarcasm?
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      out of curriosity, what class could you possibly race this car in? i would assume it would be some modified category since it has an engine swap. wouldn't you get blown off the track by other more modern cars you would be competing with?
                      Well in BMW CR it would be a C Mod car, which is some pretty serious hardware, where looking at the ad, unless the guy is Bill Auberlen it would get hammered.

In SCCA it would probably end up in SPO which it would also get absolutely hammered.

In NASA I would guess GT3 or GT4 which is also some pretty serious cars.
                      It would get hammered there.

Its not a race car, its a tweener.
                      Somewhere in between street car - race car - DE car
                      Probably fun but I wouldnt / couldnt "race" it as is.
                      Jimmy P.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                      92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                      98 318Ti Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

To elaborate on Jimmy P’s explanation, one of the local guys had a similar setup track toy he bought (S54 swap, aero, wide stance, bbk...etc) that he used for some HPDE days. It was caged though and his plan was to eventually race it with ICSCC.

Fast forward a year to this last race here in Portland, leading up to it, he had also bought a PRO3 car, and has been putting in lots of track time in it, getting his Novice race license and training getting to be a fairly decent driver. Well the PRO3 car has an off track excursion and can’t race that weekend so he decides to run the S54 car in ST.

As I mentioned before, ST is a hp to weight class (roughly 12:1 depending on tire width you want to run) and it’s populated by a couple vettes, a few E36 and E46 S54 Cars, and other randomness. To win in this class you’re needing to put down 1:22 ~ 1:24 range lap times consistently @ PIR with the front chicane. The driver texts us that he’s annoyed that the best he can wring out of the E30 is a 1:27.

Now mind you, the front running PRO3 cars are running 1:29.

With all it’s hp, the S54 is a huge bitch. It’s heavy! And the aerodynamics of an e30 ain’t doing it many favors. Sure, we can play with gearing, and maybe lighten the car up even more, but point is, building the car for the class is better than trying to find a class for your “swap.”

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          With all it’s hp, the S54 is a huge bitch. It’s heavy!
                          People seem to largely either not know this or ignore it, it's why I asked about weight and balance when an S54 swapped car was being discussed earlier in this thread or the bring a trailer thread. The question went unanswered.

It doesn't do anyone any favors that, despite being important, useful engine weight information is very difficult to come across and most people with swapped cars never weigh the car. Most of the time engine weights are just a weight with little to no information of what is included. We're really lucky to have those Vorschlag pictures of the complete M20, M42 and LS1

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Yah, when we do another corner weighting session, I’ll let you know the weight on the car and what’s been removed..etc.

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

There are a few "crazy" fast E30s with S54s in them in BMW Club Racing, like race overall winning, front of the pack E30s but the cars are really developed.
                              Thats obviously really the key.
                              I think (hope) it goes without saying to the S54 engine swapping fanbois that you cant plop an S5Anything into an E30, put some cheeep Chinese coil overs on it, dump it into the weeds, buy the widest tires that will not tear the fenders completely off and expect it to just be anything more than basically an old mustang or a camaro.
                              You have to develop the car.
                              Jimmy P.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                              98 318Ti Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

....and the driver. [emoji38]