opinions welcom: best year of the e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 no doubt

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by Click View Post
      I believe 89s were also the last year of pop out windows and manual sunroofs
      I don't know about pop out windows (I don't have them) but my '91 has a manual sunroof.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post

That's what I always thought, until I tried a 173, a 527, a chipped 525, a 380, two stock 153s, and a chipped 153. In addition, the chipped 153 runs on 87 octane and is my favorite of the bunch.
        yeah, sorry. no. What does "chipped" mean anyway - that chip could be from anywhere. I don't think you understand how it works..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          yeah, sorry. no. What does "chipped" mean anyway - that chip could be from anywhere. I don't think you understand how it works..
          STAGE III BRUH!

Stage 3 clutch
          Stage 3 brakes
          Stage 3 turbo
          Stage 3 intercooler

STAGE THREE!!!!11!11!!!

Comment

Mine.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I personally think 87's and 89's are the best years.

87' 325iS if you want an early car but with alot of updated bits (updated HVAC, good dme, etc). Also has all power options. I like the 87' because you can either go late model retrofit, early model US spec, OR euro bumper goodness. The interchangeability on the 87' is great.

89 is also a great year because still no airbags, has pop out windows still, and all the late model goodness.
              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Interesting thread. When I first bought my 87is, I was a little bummed after doing some research that I didn't buy a late model. As of late, I am excited about doing the Euro bumpers, MTech 1 kit and full restoration and color change.

Mr. Wolfe
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                  I personally think 87's and 89's are the best years.

87' 325iS if you want an early car but with alot of updated bits (updated HVAC, good dme, etc). Also has all power options. I like the 87' because you can either go late model retrofit, early model US spec, OR euro bumper goodness. The interchangeability on the 87' is great.

89 is also a great year because still no airbags, has pop out windows still, and all the late model goodness.
                  Thats where I am at. I like my '90 but ended up removing the airbags, and wish I had the pop out windows. Also the stock Ellipsoids would have been nice.

If I knew what I knew now I would have gotten an 89. I didnt research and thought I could switch out the airbag wheel for a newer single stage airbag wheel.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Ive owned a very early, early model, an 87 early model, a 1991 318is and a 1990 325i. I would have to say the 89 I have now has the best of all worlds. crank sunroof, and pop outs plastic bumpers, ellipsoid, and no airbags.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                    = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

From the sound of it I got the best two years. An 88' ix and a 89' 325i
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        I don't understand why it's worked the way it has, but since you obviously think I'm a liar I have no need to continue. You want to see receipts of me getting 27+mpg with any 87-octane 153 ECU you send me without hypermiling, I'd be happy to do it. You want to see receipts of me getting maybe 24mpg hypermiling with any late-model 87-octane ECU you send me, I'd hate doing it because the late-model ECUs make the car soft.
                        Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                        STAGE III BRUH!

Stage 3 clutch
                        Stage 3 brakes
                        Stage 3 turbo
                        Stage 3 intercooler

STAGE THREE!!!!11!11!!!
                        Don't be a prick.

I think pretty much everything I've posted on this forum or any other would support the fact that I know more about this and a number of other cars than most other people do.

Perhaps I should add that includes knowing when I don't know everything. That was expressed earlier in this thread, but I know what I've experienced.
                        Last edited by ELVA164; 03-03-2016, 08:27 PM.
                        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

For some reason I am partial to late model plastic bumper cars only - just preference though - I have always wanted a euro bumper car

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                            I don't understand why it's worked the way it has, but since you obviously think I'm a liar I have no need to continue. You want to see receipts of me getting 27+mpg with any 87-octane 153 ECU you send me without hypermiling, I'd be happy to do it. You want to see receipts of me getting maybe 24mpg hypermiling with any late-model 87-octane ECU you send me, I'd hate doing it because the late-model ECUs make the car soft.

Don't be a prick.

I think pretty much everything I've posted on this forum or any other would support the fact that I know more about this and a number of other cars than most other people do.

Perhaps I should add that includes knowing when I don't know everything. That was expressed earlier in this thread, but I know what I've experienced.
                            I don't think you are a liar I just don't think you have any clue what you're talking about. the 153 does have slightly more aggressive tuning stock, but that's stock - once you tune a 173 or any other Motronic DME it makes zero difference. The hardware is irrelevant because it's functionally identical.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Really? The 153 is slightly more aggressive tuning stock? Why would they change the tune year to year?
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

it's like 2hp, nothing to write home about - but the spec E30 guys prefer them since they have to run a stock tune and it's one of the only things they can do for "more" power.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X