Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To get the turbo to last an entire race, you're going to be dropping a ton in cooling and even then... turbo's in the amateur racing world don't have the best reputation for reliability. Sure there is exceptions, and teams that manage to get them to last most of a season, but outside Time Attack/Hillclimb, it's not that common in Road racing at our level.

For a road car, sure, a turbo is a good option, and possibly something I would consider for the Touring at some point.
    Last edited by djjerme; 05-21-2019, 07:43 PM.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      amateur racing
      I don't recall saying anything about racing. "Track days" implies a street car that sees "track days" not a stripped out caged etc race car. Turbo M20s are a flat out stupid choice for racing, you'd wind up in a class you're not remotely competitive in with a broken car. For a car with M54 power goals a turbo M20 can be had that will make that power reliably with ease and with the small intercooler required a good oil cooler and radiator will fit without too much trouble. Seen it done. Race E30s run such a gamut of classes, budgets and levels of custom fab work from barely legal cage and a big brake kit to tube front ends, carbon body panels and custom suspension components, they aren't even worth debating. IMO with an E30 and racing you're better off staying in spec or a class where more power isn't a requirement, you can't get far on good looks and classic reputation alone when there are better cars ready to eat your lunch in stock trim.
      Last edited by varg; 05-21-2019, 08:32 PM.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 3-17

Comment

To get the turbo to last an entire race, you're going to be dropping a ton in cooling and even then... turbo's in the amateur racing world don't have the best reputation for reliability. Sure there is exceptions, and teams that manage to get them to last most of a season, but outside Time Attack/Hillclimb, it's not that common in Road racing at our level.

For a road car, sure, a turbo is a good option, and possibly something I would consider for the Touring at some point.

Yeah in Lemons Eyesore are the only team on the West coast to successfully campaign a turbo and even they ‘splode regularly, despite having a Mazda engineer on the team [emoji13][emoji23][emoji2369]

@kronos and myself have had a lot of fun with m30b35’s which are cheap, fast and reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let’s try to keep this on topic guys
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Let’s try to keep this on topic guys

Fine....

BAT sucks.

[emoji38][emoji38]

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Fine....

BAT sucks.

:rofl:

thank you ;)

1988 325i Convertible
              Bid for the chance to own a 50k-mile 1988 BMW 325i Convertible at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #19,293.

Bronzit fans assemble. low miles AND bottlecaps. they will blow their load on this one haha
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You just know it's going to fetch something stupid like 15K.

Meanwhile, the Non-AC LS powered touring is ending today. Sitting at 16K, I'm thinking this will be a RNM.
                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

That 1990 "is" sold for $9750 which I think was a solid price for that car overall. Agreed on the touring not meeting reserve unless a bidding war kicks off.

Comment

Random question -

What do people here really like about BAT and really dislike about BAT?
                    I'd like to see opinions from sellers, buyers, lurkers and everything in between if possible.

Thanks guys!

Comment

$20,0000? Low miles, all original, good paint and an automatic convertible to boot. This is the perfect car for the collector crowd - nice to look at and boring as all hell to drive so the enthusiasts aren't losing another fun car to the bubble.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                        Random question -

I'd like to see opinions from sellers, buyers, lurkers and everything in between if possible.

Thanks guys!

This.

I originally joined the site almost 10 yrs ago because it had really cool/oddball/unique car listings for sale that people found on local Craigslist, parked in neighborhoods or found in who knows where. The comments were by people who knew strange trivia, odd quips and some times snarky commentary. But you also saw a lot of diamonds in the rough for good steals to the right person who knew how to fix them. Some times, you'd even get follow up stories. It was a site for people who liked cars and were looking for that next project.

Now it's just about car values. People bitching about people who wouldn't buy anything anyways, or stroking off to some high roller trying to prove how much money he can spend on a car. It's all about getting the highest dollar for some car. It went from a car site, to an auction site. It's not Bring A Trailer any more, it's Bring A Winning Bid or GTFO...

That's what rubs me wrong about it.

Last edited by djjerme; 05-22-2019, 12:33 PM.
                        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally Posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                          Random question -

Thanks guys!

This.

I originally joined the site almost 10 yrs ago because it had really cool/oddball/unique car listings for sale that people found on local Craigslist, parked in neighborhoods or found in who knows where. The comments were by people who knew strange trivia, odd quips and some times snarky commentary. But you also saw a lot of diamonds in the rough for good steals to the right person who knew how to fix them. Some times, you'd even get follow up stories. It was a site for people who liked cars and were looking for that next project.

Now it's just about car values. People bitching about people who wouldn't buy anything anyways, or stroking off to some high roller trying to prove how much money he can spend on a car. It's all about getting the highest dollar for some car. It went from a car site, to an auction site. It's not Bring A Trailer any more, it's Bring A Winning Bid or GTFO...

That's what rubs me wrong about it.

Appreciate the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            :rofl:

thank you ;)

1988 325i Convertible
                            Bid for the chance to own a 50k-mile 1988 BMW 325i Convertible at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #19,293.

Bronzit fans assemble. low miles AND bottlecaps. they will blow their load on this one haha

BaT commenter - does it include the factory tires and wiper fluid?
                            90 Bronzit 325is
                            16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

The comments above seem spot on.

I lurked and lurked there for 9 months or so, finally buying a 318is recently. If the comments are used and placed in context they can be helpful as there are some knowledgeable folks there. I probably over-paid a bit relative to the car's value on this site, but I don't feel too badly about it.

I am an 80 series LandCruiser enthusiast as well, and the comments on forums for them that are analogous to this one (IH8Mud) are quite similar to those here. As an example, a 1994 is being dealt with rather harshly for what I suspect is superficial rust. I bet it is similar for most model-specific enthusiast sites.

Suppose it is all about using all the information sources you can find. :)

Bill

Comment

As an example, here’s a couple typical bat listings from pre-auction days:

Learn more about Al Fresco Alpina: Running 1983 B9 Project on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

Learn more about #62 of 533 Built: 1979 BMW Alpina B6 on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

Learn more about Rare in the USA: 1985 Alpina B6 on Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

They used to have the “guess what this is” section, and under 2k project section. They still have much of that but it’s not highlighted and usually cut off in the daily emails. To find the non auction postings you have to dig deep any more.

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X