This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4tDX View Post
    Not an E30 but... who the hell is paying these kind of prices?

e46 325i wagon - $21.5k https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...sport-wagon-2/
    That's a crazy price for that car lol.
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Crazier than the $41k someone just spent on a vert?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Crazier than the $41k someone just spent on a vert?
        I'd say so.

That vert is def a collectors car given the condition and mileage. I would never pay that, but I can def see why someone would spend 41k on that.

The e46 is a b25 auto car with 95k on it. 21k is some wild shit for a car like that.

It is a good, don't get me wrong, but that's a 6-8k car lol
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

1990 M3 Sport Evo
          Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1990 BMW M3 Sport Evolution at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #95,724.
          Jeeeeezus. What a beauty. Love that it has some miles on it too- hopefully the next owner will drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I'd say so.

That vert is def a collectors car given the condition and mileage. I would never pay that, but I can def see why someone would spend 41k on that.

The e46 is a b25 auto car with 95k on it. 21k is some wild shit for a car like that.

It is a good, don't get me wrong, but that's a 6-8k car lol
            Wagons are extra sought after by a certain set of people because they're so heckin' quirky. Dumb but its definitely true.

Comment

1994 316 Touring
              Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1994 BMW 316i Touring Design Edition 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,018.

1991 318is
              Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW 318is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,011.

1987 M3​
              https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-bmw-m3-11/
              Last edited by 2mAn; 01-12-2023, 02:34 PM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Interested to see what that 318is sells for, it is a great looking car but the sunroof rust is insidious and very difficult to fix. Mine looked barely any worse than that when I bought it (just had shot paint) and eventually pinholes rusted through around the sunroof and the panel was beyond saving within a few years. I also observed zero battery box rust when I bought my car and eventually rust bubbled through the rubberized coating. I've resigned myself to the fact that the headliner has to come out when I have the roof rust fixed, which apparently means glass has to come out, which I hate.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

This should be fun to watch
                  Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                  COTM Aug 2019

Comment

1994 316 Touring
                    Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1994 BMW 316i Touring Design Edition 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,018.

1991 318is
                    Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW 318is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,011.

1987 M3​
                    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-bmw-m3-11/
                    Damn daytona violet is a cool color. And an e30 odometer still working at 200k+ miles? Didn't know that was possible.

91 318is | 97 FZJ80

Comment

1991 325i Convertible
                      Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW 325i Convertible 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,406.

Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Jeez that 318is sold for $11,250 despite the sunroof rust and high mileage. I hope that buyer is going to get that sunroof panel fixed and resprayed real soon and drop the headliner to make sure the roof itself isn't on its way to rusting from the inside out as well.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        - updated 3-17

Comment

1994 316 Touring
                          Bid for the chance to own a 1994 BMW 316i Touring Design Edition 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,585.

'MONSTER TRUCK' 1986 325e
                          Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: Modified 1986 BMW 325e 4×4 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,592.

1986 Hartge H26
                          Bid for the chance to own a 1986 BMW 325i Hartge H26 SP 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #96,600.

1988 325i Touring
                          Bring a Trailer Auctions is the best place to buy and sell vintage and classic vehicles - Porsche, BMW, Land Rover, and more.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                            Jeez that 318is sold for $11,250 despite the sunroof rust and high mileage. I hope that buyer is going to get that sunroof panel fixed and resprayed real soon and drop the headliner to make sure the roof itself isn't on its way to rusting from the inside out as well.
                            I was shocked as well. I am not smart enough to diagnose it (maybe it is an easy fix), but did you watch the driving video? Doesn't even run right? Certainly not like mine, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brown View Post
                              I was shocked as well. I am not smart enough to diagnose it (maybe it is an easy fix), but did you watch the driving video? Doesn't even run right? Certainly not like mine, anyway.
                              No I didn't bother to watch any of the videos before, I just saw the sunroof rust and assumed it was running right. Looking at them now I see that it didn't transition from start to idle clearly. The cold start fluctuation definitely isn't normal I do not recall my 318is doing this when stock, but I didn't have a lightweight flywheel; it was bone stock. The vibration and noise is above and beyond anything I experienced too, what is that rattle? Maybe BaT doesn't allow critical comments? I didn't see questions nor seller replies about the loud rattling. I'm sure the lightweight flywheel worsens vibration, the M42 is already coarse motor with poor NVH characteristics when compared to something like a 4cyl honda, toyota or mercedes, but I don't see that alone causing a rattle.

Is it just BaT or are E30s just too expensive now? I haven't been following the market but with the sunroof and probably associated roof rust (expensive fix, hours of body work + paint matching metallic black), rattling, and undiagnosed idle issue, this is just a high mileage 4cyl E30 with three obvious issues, not a mint collector's item.
                              Last edited by varg; 01-19-2023, 04:21 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                                Maybe BaT doesn't allow critical comments?
                                BaT definitely deletes critical comments and bans users. When questioned they'll just take the stance that the now banned user was manipulating the auction to their benefit.

Long ago, before they likely significantly contributed to the rise in value of a broad spectrum of "collectable" cars, when there were CL posts or other features on there the comments were filled with negative/critical comments, often to the benefit of those uninformed about said car. Today BaT only seems to exists to create a circle jerk of positivity about whatever car and how "rare" or valuable it should be.

I get the excitement of an auction, and that the broad selection of cars available is appealing to users. However, when they crossed over from being a site that seemed to encourage enthusiasts to buy/use the cars and on to a site that encouraged investors/collectors to buy and not use the cars, they pretty much lost the plot.

Comment

Working...
                                X