Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea the Baurs seem to hover around $5-7k. I really expected that other one to sell too, I think the reserve was 7k, as he was kinda hinting at it.

I think the Baurs would be worth more if they had a Motronic setup with an eta bottom end swapped in. Thats what I would do if I ever own one. I like weird cars, and love early models so naturally I gravitate towards one... plus living in CA means an open top car can be used more often
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      They ended about where they are worth.

Baur's are probably the most divisive E30 body style. People either really like them, or think they are fugly. Even people I know who have decent sized E30 collections, said they will never own one. I've seen a few pass around for sub 10K now, and it doesn't look like they are going to be increasing in value at the same rate as say a 318is or anything else at this point.
      +1 for the Baur = fugly. However, if you are looking to get into an E30 chassis and want an open top and you don't want to pay too much, they could be a great route

Comment

The baur served it's purpose at one point but then BMW built their own E30 convertible...the right way. They reinforced it and made it a complete drop top making the Baur look like an afterthought. They are still very cool and rare but not a must have for an E30 aficionado. With that said, I know where two of them rest locally. Both are owned by women who imported them gray market back in the day. I almost scooped one up but got a sweet deal on my 85 323i.
        Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-22-2018, 12:23 PM.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Got a racecar up

Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW 325i Race Car at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,881.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yup, that's Timmy's.. Clean build.
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

That Pro 3 car looks very sexy. Really nicely done and very well presented.
              I assume it will underperform like pretty much every other race car ever sold on there.
              Seems a terrible venue to sell race cars, not enough racers as a market.
              Only hard parkers asking if it can still be street driven, registered, can the AC be put back in it, etc.
              BAT gets it alot of looks, but not by the right people (for a race car).

djjerme - I saw your comment on the shifter causing excessive trans wear.
              I have not ever heard that.
              What would the body mounted shifter cause that the CAE or any other shifter doesnt?
              The AKG / Bimmerworld / etc are all modeled after the E30M3 Gruppe A shifter (as I know you know).
              Curious about that...
              Jimmy P.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
              98 318Ti Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Another M3 up today.

Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,923.
                Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post

Gorgeous! Love the e30 M3 in Alpineweiss

Comment

No Reserve: 1988 BMW 325 Super ETA

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1988 BMW 325 Super ETA at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #8,938.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                      Loving that E30. Like a time capsule.
                      Jimmy P.
                      98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                        djjerme - I saw your comment on the shifter causing excessive trans wear.
                        I have not ever heard that.
                        What would the body mounted shifter cause that the CAE or any other shifter doesnt?
                        The AKG / Bimmerworld / etc are all modeled after the E30M3 Gruppe A shifter (as I know you know).
                        Curious about that...
                        It has to do with the angle of the pressure applied to the shift shaft of the transmission.

I'll have to post some of our internal PRO3 group discussion when I get home since my work blocked all forums/social media/blog sites.. :(

But basically we saw in the group as a whole, third gear syncro failures abnormally high in cars running the AKG shifter. Almost failing every other season. My own personal car we saw the same thing happen and I went back to a Bavauto setup. Many of the other former AKG users went CAE, and have not had the same issues with third gear.

I am not sure why the AKG was having the issues but not the CAE, only thing I can think of is the angle of the shift rod and shifter pushing at a weird angle for 3rd that maybe wasn't engaging it full or correctly. I don't know.. When we installed the ZF transmission behind the M20 for a few Lucky Dog enduros we used the AKG and ended up mounting it a lot different from stock (the base plate was actually sideways and tilted) and never had an issue with that setup. Now with the M30/G265, I haven't seen the same issues... yet. But I haven't raced enough on this setup yet to give honest feedback.
                        Last edited by djjerme; 03-30-2018, 09:31 AM.
                        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Thanks, I would love to see that information either posted,,, or,,,, as not to derail this BAT oriented thread feel free to email me at jimmypet at mac dot com.

I have never owned an AKG brand body mounted shifter, but used the Bimmerworld shifter for years before I switched my club race car to a T5 road race trans. I think james told me I was the first person to bolt one into an E30 when he released it.

Was the evidence pointed only towards AKG product, or same for Bimmerworld's race shifter?

If I were ever to go back to a 265 based trans the CAE / Samsonas style would be the droid I was looking for. The raised tower / improved geometry is a home run.
                          Jimmy P.
                          98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Loving that E30. Like a time capsule.
                            Me too. I have an 89 Delphin sedan that was also an auto and matching interior. It's since been in an accident and turned race car, but still have it. Curious to see what this one goes for. My seats weren't that nice, but snagged the car for $2500 clams about 5 -6 yr ago.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks, I would love to see that information either posted,,, or,,,, as not to derail this BAT oriented thread feel free to email me at jimmypet at mac dot com.

I have never owned an AKG brand body mounted shifter, but used the Bimmerworld shifter for years before I switched my club race car to a T5 road race trans. I think james told me I was the first person to bolt one into an E30 when he released it.
                              just the AKG.

And it seems to be the shifter itself. Many people still run just the shift rod that they sell to use on the stock style shifter (Z3/Bav/eBay..etc.) With no issue.

I am not sure if anyone locally is running the Bimmerworld one strangely. Everyone pretty much went CAE.
                              2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                                just the AKG.

And it seems to be the shifter itself. Many people still run just the shift rod that they sell to use on the stock style shifter (Z3/Bav/eBay..etc.) With no issue.

I am not sure if anyone locally is running the Bimmerworld one strangely. Everyone pretty much went CAE.

Wow that is really interesting.
                                I would guess its something in the ratio of handle / pivot / lower.
                                Now reading this I dont think I have ever seen a photo of the Bimmerworld - AKG - Original DTM shifters all in line to compare the ratios of handle above plate to lever below plate.
                                Thats the only thing I can think of.

I do know AKG offered a few different versions of shift "quickness" (I think he had a Stage 1, 2 and 3) where the BMW DTM and Bimmerworld are only one version.
                                I wonder if thats what the difference is.
                                Jimmy P.
                                98 318Ti Morea Green

Comment

Working...
                                X