Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, that paint job probably wasn't cheap. Just a guess and that's the sad part about it. You pay a pretty penny and then you wonder whether you should have shopped around for people that would have done this right.

Is this really clearcoat that just needed to be wetsanded down?:

That would take a shop about 15 seconds to correct.

I just wonder what the backstory is?

This is a special car and no one appeared to care.

Lets give the seller props for having detailed pictures regardless of what they revealed.
    Last edited by Javier h; 05-18-2018, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post

I don't get the allure of an S54 swap, but I do get that anyone with a day job and married life duties couldn't replicate that car for $18,500.
      Have a swap in the shop now. Custoner is about 18.5 all in, but included me rebuilding the z3m 3.15 diff, installing new sub frames, wheel bearings, rod bearings, all the Arc goodies, e36 rack, new booster/master, shocks, fancy clutch, 6 speed etc...the works. He's owned the car 17yr and already had all new interior re-covered, Recaro seats, BBK etc, so unsure how much he has in it total, but its an over the top build for the most part. Would be interesting to see what BAT would think of it ha.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

No Reserve: One Owner 1989 BMW 325i 5-Speed

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: One Owner 1989 BMW 325i 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,872.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
          No Reserve: One Owner 1989 BMW 325i 5-Speed

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-38/
          Its a good honest E30. I wish the original owner had fixed the gears as soon as they stopped so it wouldnt be a "TMU" and could have a verified amount of miles on it.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

1988 BMW M3

Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,883.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
              Have a swap in the shop now. Custoner is about 18.5 all in, but included me rebuilding the z3m 3.15 diff, installing new sub frames, wheel bearings, rod bearings, all the Arc goodies, e36 rack, new booster/master, shocks, fancy clutch, 6 speed etc...the works. He's owned the car 17yr and already had all new interior re-covered, Recaro seats, BBK etc, so unsure how much he has in it total, but its an over the top build for the most part. Would be interesting to see what BAT would think of it ha.
              Is the S54 a drop-in or did you do bearings and rings "while you were in there?"

The difference between fully restoring an e30 and fully restoring an E36/E46 definitely makes me happy I finally picked up another e30 (and makes me happy I have a low-mile E36!), but the fact that my idea of a full restoration is tainted by my day job restoring air-cooled Porsches to an extremely high level makes any of them an expensive proposition.

That '89 on BaT looks nice (as in a nice, honest project base) and I don't believe the original owner would have any reason to lie about the mileage. I dig the cleanliness of the Euro bumper trim. How long has it been since the ES100 was out of production, though? I seem to remember Yokohama phasing them out when I was getting out of high school... and I'm 32.
              1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Not e30, but this is the dream e46 m3 setup!

S65B40-Powered 2002 BMW M3 6-Speed

Bid for the chance to own a S65B40-Powered 2002 BMW M3 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #9,940.

Comment

Oh yeah, I like that so much better than an S54 powered E30.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
                    Is the S54 a drop-in or did you do bearings and rings "while you were in there?"

The difference between fully restoring an e30 and fully restoring an E36/E46 definitely makes me happy I finally picked up another e30 (and makes me happy I have a low-mile E36!), but the fact that my idea of a full restoration is tainted by my day job restoring air-cooled Porsches to an extremely high level makes any of them an expensive proposition.

That '89 on BaT looks nice (as in a nice, honest project base) and I don't believe the original owner would have any reason to lie about the mileage. I dig the cleanliness of the Euro bumper trim. How long has it been since the ES100 was out of production, though? I seem to remember Yokohama phasing them out when I was getting out of high school... and I'm 32.
                    No rings or head gasket, but the rest was gone through, everything is sand blasted, painted with single stage enamel automotive extrior paint, sub frames powdercoated/reinforced, new rod/main bearings, all new upper/lower gaskets etc. Click insta link in sig, don't need to sign in if on PC, or viewing in "desktop" on phone. Prefer to be humble, updates are usually old pics snubbed from phone. Owner plans on turbo later so the booster clearance was a non issue with a welded aluninum plenum using a brand new 944 booster, new 740i master and the m3 firewall harness cover modified to suit. Used a recon e36 steeing rack, with functional power steering, air conditioning with parallel flow condenser, 134 expansion, canbus interface for idle up, brake bias removed. Forge 6 pot front, 4 pot rear, 2pc rotor BBK (220/200mm)was already on the car, so had to sort the hydraulics to match. Everything is brand new or factory refub. Owner has had the car for 17 years, and has no plans of selling, so he figured "why not". Interior is 100% refurb with black headliner, rear head rest seats, with authentic recovered recaro to match, freash respray, ryang splitter, iS lip etc etc etc. Quite a cool car, actually.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      Oh yeah, I like that so much better than an S54 powered E30.
                      How do you know? :p

I can tell you a 250whp s52 e30 is a hoot to drive. Built my fair share of turbo m20, and m50 e30's, and the favorite to date was the 200+wtq ITB m20 that was dieted to 2400lb (with roll cage). The sound, the tq, and the balance was phenomenal. Owner plans on sending the car back to remove the cage, reinstall windows and some sound deadening etc. You must come check it out so you can rekindle your m20 love. Hehe
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

How do you know? :p
                        I'm biased. I'd just rather have a V8 which doesn't weigh significantly more than the I6 it replaces (S65 in an E46 M3) than an I6 which weighs a buttload more than the I6 or I4 it replaces (S54 in an E30) any time. But then again, to me V8 > I6 pretty much any time as long as it doesn't ruin the balance of the car. Even stock for stock I'd have an E46 M3 over an E30 M3 though.

I can tell you a 250whp s52 e30 is a hoot to drive. Built my fair share of turbo m20, and m50 e30's, and the favorite to date was the 200+wtq ITB m20 that was dieted to 2400lb (with roll cage). The sound, the tq, and the balance was phenomenal. Owner plans on sending the car back to remove the cage, reinstall windows and some sound deadening etc. You must come check it out so you can rekindle your m20 love. Hehe
                        I tuned this car. If I was going to love an NA M20 and strip my car for weight, it would've happened by now. Maybe if I lived at the base of Mt Haruna I'd think differently :D

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                          I tuned this car. If I was going to love an NA M20 and strip my car for weight, it would've happened by now. Maybe if I lived at the base of Mt Haruna I'd think differently :D
                          That should kinda similar, he is just .3l off, but has a larger cam. The instant torque is what impressed me from the little single cam (smaller cam/more stroke than Digital's). Would be interesting to bring it to the down to the dyno and compare.

...and I know your car is a driver with all the comforts...and you know my love for the single cam lol.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1984 BMW 318i at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #10,024.

84 M10 car... I’m having fun with these people talking about the DOHC head conversion for the M10. I wonder how long until they figure out I’m talking about the S14 :rofl:
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

1990 BMW M3

Bid for the chance to own a 1990 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #10,054.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                                This beauty is just down the street from me. Haven't ran into it in the wild yet.
                                90 Bronzit 325is
                                16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                                X