This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS3 Touring is up now.

Comments are already whining about lack of AC.

Most of the US needs AC?

Sounds like something a Californian would say. Since most of the states exist above the Mason Dixon where we maybe use the AC a couple months of the year, this cracks me up.

Wasn't the build thread on this car here in the archive somewhere?

EDIT: Sorry for ragging on Cali, but god dammit, if you move from Cali here, stop telling us how great California is - then why did you leave, and why do so many people register their cars in other states or through Montana LLC's then.. ARGH!! (I'm fine, just need to rant before my coffee kicks in.)
    Last edited by djjerme; 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post

Most of the US needs AC?

Sounds like something a Californian would say. Since most of the states exist above the Mason Dixon where we maybe use the AC a couple months of the year, this cracks me up.

You're located in Portland.

Most of the US, DOES need AC. If temperatures reach the 80's and humidity is above 55... you need AC.

Besides that, anyone spending big money on a swapped wagon (or any swap) will consider any car without AC a project car. This is not 1950. And most bidders aren't 20 years old. I wouldn't require AC in my early 20's (because idiot)... but I sure as hell would now in my late 30's.
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
        You're located in Portland.

Most of the US, DOES need AC. If temperatures reach the 80's and humidity is above 55... you need AC.

Besides that, anyone spending big money on a swapped wagon (or any swap) will consider any car without AC a project car. This is not 1950. And most bidders aren't 20 years old. I wouldn't require AC in my early 20's (because idiot)... but I sure as hell would now in my late 30's.
        Alright, you went there.

States that probably don't need AC -

Oregon,
        Washington,
        Idaho,
        Montana,
        Minnesota,
        Michigan,
        Main,
        Delaware,
        Connecticut,
        RI,
        NY,
        Mass,
        Ill,
        Penn,
        Both Dakota's,
        NH,
        NJ,
        Wisconsin,
        Iowa,
        VT..etc.

I'm at 20+ now, so I think that nullify's that argument. Again - you're in Texas, so you can't imagine being without AC. There's half the US that didn't have AC regularly in cars until probably the last decade. Growing up in the 70's/80's it was an unnecessary extra weight and gas mileage zapper.

I'll also throw out the example of the Alpina's - many of them imported grey market never came with AC.
        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

There's nothing worse than having a car with broken/deleted a/c.
          It's like the car is teasing you with what you could be enjoying.

Regardless of my age (or cars age), I always insisted it worked properly on all my cars.
          Despite living in Canada.
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

*first world problems.

(and me just being bitchy this morning after dealing with homeless camping on the sidewalks around the neighborhood.)
            Last edited by djjerme; 05-16-2019, 08:15 AM.
            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I'm at 20+ now, so I think that nullify's that argument.
              As I said... 20YO's will deal without because, well, they're in their 20's. The "cool" factor of the car makes up for the lack of cool on their face. You grow out of that.

There's half the US that didn't have AC regularly in cars until probably the last decade.
              What? In my lifetime, my parents have never owned a car without air conditioning. Model years range from the 70's through present. Foreign and domestic. I have never owned a car without AC... that's like 25+ cars. And as soon as the AC went down in one of the E30's or E28... you bet it was priority 1.

Have been all over the States, lived in 5 of them... You need AC all over. Again, this isn't 1950. People didn't have cell phones until the 90's either. Try going without one of those. Just because people did without something at some point in history doesn't mean we can still do without it. Try not having indoor plumbing? How about electricity? Those last to are obviously reductio ad absurdum, but it illustrates the point.
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              -----------------------------------------
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

Your list is way too long. Any state which sees 80+ during the summer is AC required. AC is also a great asset when it's raining and not cold. How would you rather defog your windows in a rainstorm when it's already warm out? Blast your heater or just turn the AC on? If it's not a race car, AC delete is silly, and if there's space for it after a swap not having it is just laziness.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 1-26

Comment

EDIT: Sorry for ragging on Cali, but god dammit, if you move from Cali here, stop telling us how great California is - then why did you leave, and why do so many people register their cars in other states or through Montana LLC's then.. ARGH!! (I'm fine, just need to rant before my coffee kicks in.)
                  That looks like Joels (OlDrunkenSailor) old car. He originally built it on a 318is that got totalled by some idiot in Portland, luckily he had a big stated value coverage and built this with the remainder, but I think the love was gone. He isnt really one to turn a wrench and was paying shops to do his work, so no surprise it was easy to let go of
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    That looks like Joels (OlDrunkenSailor) old car. He originally built it on a 318is that got totalled by some idiot in Portland, luckily he had a big stated value coverage and built this with the remainder, but I think the love was gone. He isnt really one to turn a wrench and was paying shops to do his work, so no surprise it was easy to let go of

That's right - he had it on CL forever up here for a healthy amount. Wondered what had become of it. The pics he had on his CL ad were actually really nice, I def remember it now.
                    2016 Ford Flex

Comment

As a resident of Nevada plus a few on preferred a/c. However, I can see the counter argument as well. The touring is cool, pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        Your list is way too long.
                        Agreed.
                        Also, shouldn't Alaska be on there too? They are practically near the North Pole.
                        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I've been driving without AC in my E30's for 20 years and I live in SoCal. I don't daily them though. Most of the time the blower with windows down is enough.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Seems like the northern states are seeing temps in the 90's now.

I need AC. I bought my current car without AC but it had the compressor and I just needed to have custom lines from the e36 compressor mate to the stock e30 AC lines.

Now, I have AC!
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd
                            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I'm 100% with djjerme.
                              I dont need or care about AC in my sports cars.
                              In my truck, in my dailys sure, but in my sports cars (the street ones that are not race cars) I dont have one care about AC.

When Im in my Cabrio, the top is down unless I get caught in a rain storm.
                              When Im in my E30M3 the windows are down and Im listening to the engine.
                              Im long past my 20s (by well over double)
                              Cowboy up.
                              Jimmy P.
                              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                              98 318Ti Morea Green
                              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

LS3 Touring is up now.

Most of the US needs AC?

That Touring is a bad piece. I like it alot. The no AC wouldnt even be a small speedbump for me on a cool car like that.
                                Jimmy P.
                                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                                92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                                98 318Ti Morea Green
                                04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Working...
                                X