Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

qwik ?......e30 318is vs plain i

I assume engines are exact same?..

maybe one has sport susp and LSD.....sport seats etc.....

but engines?......same?
    I love sitting down and just driving!

AFAIK, M42 is an M42. By 91, 318i meant 4 door, typically base model. 318iS meant 2 doors with sport package and shadowline. It's not the same sport package that the 325iS got though. Most everything was optional.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Yes, you will have the same engine in an i and an iS.

Small changes separate the i and iS versions. A small trunk spoiler, a more aggressive front lip. Slightly stiffer springs in the iS. iS will usually have LSD as well, unless the dealer options at initial purchase was weird. A 13 button OBC in the iS, etc.

Some quick research is going to yield you all you need to know.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

thnx....

enuf said

Comment

My 318is did not come with an LSD, it was an option.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

I've had a few.. the '91 318i and 318is are the exact same car, except the IS has:

-2 doors vs. 4
            -IS lip vs. i lip
            -Sport rear spoiler
            -Sport wheels (14" basketweaves)
            -Sport seats
            -Shadowline trim
            -Mtech springs (front only?)

Both had 6 button OBC's and minimal standard equipment. The only options being: sunroof, fog lights, premium sound and LSD. LSD was an option on either car, it was not standard on the IS as many people seem to think.
            1991 318i stock-ish (daily)
            1991 318i s52 (sold)
            1991 318is (sold)

Comment

Of the 2 canadian 318is that I own they both had open diffs and 6 button obcs. One had heated seats. One has a different front valance for some reason though, 1 slot with plastic trim, while the other has 2 slots (one filled with plastic trim) ?
              sigpic
              1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Originally posted by Fsnow View Post
                Of the 2 canadian 318is that I own they both had open diffs and 6 button obcs. One had heated seats. One has a different front valance for some reason though, 1 slot with plastic trim, while the other has 2 slots (one filled with plastic trim) ?
                My Canadian spec 318is has a one slot valence too. I have no AC and believe I read somewhere this was the reason? Do both your cars have AC?

Comment

I thought maybe that was the reason too but they both have working a/c. I don't know the history on it though so it could have been retrofitted I guess.
                  Or maybe it was crashed and they replaced the valance, then covered in a terrible version of brilliantrot, maco style.
                  The car with 2 slots is definitely completely all original.
                  sigpic
                  1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Not sure about in the states but in the U.K the 318is is twin overhead cam 16valve - Engine is an M42.

The 318i is a single overhead cam 8 valve.. Engine is an M40.

"When Passion and Skill work together..the end result is often a masterpiece. ."
                    Project Frankenstein :twisted: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359297

Comment

I dont think m40 came to states?

crazy that the lsd was an option on iS...didnt know that.

Comment

Originally posted by cypriotgeeza View Post
                        Not sure about in the states but in the U.K the 318is is twin overhead cam 16valve - Engine is an M42.

The 318i is a single overhead cam 8 valve.. Engine is an M40.
                        Were both engine options available on coupe , 4 door and wagon?
                        AFAIK the m40 was never in North America but we had the 318i m10 for 84 - 85.
                        sigpic
                        1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

US never got the M40, thankfully.

US "always" got air con, whereas Canada got it as an option.
                          Likewise with the sunroof- it may have been optional, but very few cars arrived in the US without it...

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Fsnow View Post
                            Were both engine options available on coupe , 4 door and wagon?
                            AFAIK the m40 was never in North America but we had the 318i m10 for 84 - 85.
                            The M10 and M42 were available in coupes and sedans, but not tourings. The M40 could be had in sedans and tourings, but I don't think it came in the 2 door.

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                            US never got the M40, thankfully.
                            The M40 is fine, and anyone that says they are no good probably hasn't had the chance to drive one as a daily. The engine is economical, and fairly relaxing to drive, but it's certainly no powerhouse, which is fine, because you know that going in.

Comment

economical, and fairly relaxing to drive
                              I stand by my original opinion!

heh

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X