Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digger
    replied
    if you want revs and top end power the m20 is better IMO. Modifying an M30 for power doesn't make a huge amount of sense IMO as its not its forte. you have to work with the M30's strengths which is CI and torque and but it still needs the right bits to come alive on this front.

i'd rather a massaged M30 over a 24V M5x/N5x, it needs to look like it belongs and sometime less is more

Leave a comment:

• E30 Wagen
    replied
    Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    M30 is a weird juxtaposition. It’s an amazing motor in an e30 because such a broad power band, can be lugged down and r3v’d out to kingdom come, and it’s an easy swap done to death.

BUT, it’s a huge biatch. That lump really messes with the cars balance and you can definitely feel the difference in everything the car does. Not to mention there is some things that are huge PITA to do on an M30 swapped e30, like the clutch. And you do have to beat the sh*t out of the firewall to get it in there...

That all being said, if you want more power and keeping it simple (both positives in a racecar), then M30 is still a decent choice.
    I forget about the potential of the m30! Did BMW have to modify the firewall when they built the 333i?

Leave a comment:

• Caperix
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
    Forgot to reply about my experience with Honda engines. My mom had a CRV with a K24A engine that I had the pleasure of working on every now and then. I didn't care for the design decisions the Honda engineers made with that. The transverse layout made it annoyingly awkward to work on and the engine developed a VTC problem that was difficult to diagnose. I replaced the common parts that would most likely be the culprit (strainer & solenoid), but the next step in the diagnosis was to tear the engine apart and inspect the timing chain, which was mostly likely stretched. It appears to be a common issue with those engines. On a Honda forum I read about people who had to have their engine replaced at very low mileage due to a stretched timing chain.

There were other things besides the engine that left a sour taste in my mouth such as a bearing that is pressed into the end cover of the transmission. It eventually spins freely and causes an awful squealing sound. It just doesn't seem like the quality is there with those cars. I think Honda reliability is nothing more than an urban legend.
    We had similar issues with my wife's Element. That engine started burning oil bad at highway speeds as well. The single vtec k24 in the CR-V & Element seem much more prone to these issues. As well a burned exhaust valves & transmission problems. It may be that these are more likely to be neglected, I think my wife's car was not treated well it's first 60k by a previous owner.

We sold it & got her the e30 325i. We are both much happier now.

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    I love the power of m6x swapped e30s. I have yet to drive one with non-scary brakes though :-/

LSx are glorious. Drove a Volvo with an LS3 and OMG

Leave a comment:

• Motheye99
    replied
    V8's don't belong in E30's IMO. E36's on the other hand can rock it. Of course I've never driven either so what do I know.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Yes, let the hate flow..

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Just buy a Camaro - then you can grow a sweet mullet. and it'll probably cost less..

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    Low end torque, sound, to be different. Do you want me to keep going? Not everyone wants to deal with the headache of FI for the shitty way that FI engines deliver power...
    Sorry. Looks like I hit a nerve. LS is better in every way I'm not arguing for forced induction, just saying the bang for the buck argument doesn't seem to hold up too well. And well, if you're going through the mounds of trouble a V8 swap, you may as well put one in there that makes power.

Leave a comment:

• jpod999
    replied
    Originally posted by varg View Post
    Bang for the buck? I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would go through all of the trouble of a V8 swap for an engine that makes <300hp, has next to no aftermarket, and limited NA performance potential.
    Low end torque, sound, to be different. Do you want me to keep going? Not everyone wants to deal with the headache of FI for the shitty way that FI engines deliver power...

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    M4x with ITBs sounds pretty sweet.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    That's a pretty bad one, and out of character for Honda, though in my estimation neglect probably played a part here.
    Possibly. One of the pitfalls of buying a used car. A lot of low-mileage engines that have been well maintained by the dealership have failed too as I previously stated.

M42s were dying within warranty due to profile gaskets, there was a TSB on this issue. Multiple M42s are documented on the forums dying when the idler snapped off, imagine how many of the M42 cars in the junkyard over the years have been there because of that. Then there's the crank walk and the cracking heads.
    It appears the prematurely failing profile gasket was installed on engines made prior to 11/93. It looks like the idler/tensioner design was improved later on too.

Leave a comment:

• Zambuzan
    replied
    If they were available as a coupe, I'd be with you. Great cars in many aspects. But convertibles are not my thing, so no S2000.
    S2ks have OEM hardtops. Boom prob solved ;)

Leave a comment:

• 325e '87
    replied
    Yeah, I know why honda never made a real coupe s2k but dang, if they did there would be a whole lot more people trying to find them as play cars. Ive seen hard top covers but never in person, I wonder if that’s appealing? I guess it still wouldn’t be approved for use on a track though? I don’t really know the rules.

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    ...I wouldn't kick an S2000 out of the garage either.
    If they were available as a coupe, I'd be with you. Great cars in many aspects. But convertibles are not my thing, so no S2000.

Leave a comment:

• djjerme
    replied
    ...I wouldn't kick an S2000 out of the garage either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X