Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    Ah those glorious pushrods, separating the wheat from the chaff in automotive discussions as always. Welcome, brainlet commenter, to the world of 5.7L+ engines that fit in anything and don't weigh or cost an outrageous amount.
    c8 nEds A NorTHsTaR tO StAnDOut /s
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

when do you think the corvette will end up with a turbo engine? the next one?

I watched the Doug demuro video on that new ford GT, and i didn't realise it was a V6 turbo. Pretty cool design that thing. obviously a different league of car than the corvette but perhaps one day we will see a turbo corvette?

Comment

why would you get rid of pushrods now?
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          I fear you will be correct, but I hope not. The move to smaller turbo engines is ongoing across the industry and I hate it. I hope the Corvette stays V8 until the heat death of the universe. The Ford GT is a joke ($500,000 and slower around VIR than a $140,000 Corvette ZR1) and it sounds like complete ass. Every car that goes from historically NA to turbo these days winds up sounding like dog shit, M3/4, GT, Cayman...

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post

I watched the Doug demuro video on that new ford GT, and i didn't realise it was a V6 turbo. Pretty cool design that thing. obviously a different league of car than the corvette but perhaps one day we will see a turbo corvette?

Well the C8 R has been running around at night testing.. looks meaner

Comment

What engine is in that thing? Sounds like a flat plane crank or maybe 180 degree headers.

Comment

Wow, that thing sounds so good..

Aight, i'm sold
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
                  Well the C8 R has been running around at night testing.. looks meaner

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C612&FORM=VIRE
                  God Bless the USA

Cant wait to see these beating up on 911 RSR's
                  91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                  Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                  E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                  "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

I'm gonna put my 5 dollars on flat plane crank. That has a completely different sound. What do the WEC rules say about that? Does it have to be a production engine?

Comment

The Corvette was always 90% GT/10% sports car. It's for blue-collar business owners with good financial planners (or middle-management white-collar workers with good financial planners) to buy after they retire. This is a little less gold chain, which is a good thing.

It's kinda cool that GM actually had the cojones to make a mid-engined Corvette at the price point they did, but, as with most manufacturers, they just plain blew the design. It's derivative as all get-out and looks like something out of Grand Theft Auto rather than something intended for real-life consumption.

At no point in my life will I consider it for purchase.
                      1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Originally posted by SOneThreeCoupe View Post
                        The Corvette was always 90% GT/10% sports car. It's for blue-collar business owners with good financial planners (or middle-management white-collar workers with good financial planners) to buy after they retire. This is a little less gold chain, which is a good thing.

It's kinda cool that GM actually had the cojones to make a mid-engined Corvette at the price point they did, but, as with most manufacturers, they just plain blew the design. It's derivative as all get-out and looks like something out of Grand Theft Auto rather than something intended for real-life consumption.

At no point in my life will I consider it for purchase.
                        Have you seen some of the Corvette's lap times, maybe the base corvette, but I wouldn't call it 90% GT especially in the C7 years and the Z06 that is laying down 7:13 Ring times.

I dont want a vette, its not my style, but in the last 10 plus years they have packed some serious price per performance value.
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

First year close to sold out apparently.

There is untold amounts of excitement for the new mid-engine Corvette, and that's transforming into actual reservations. Michael Simcoe told us today that the C8 is almost sold out for 2020.
                          Originally posted by codyep3
                          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                          2010 F650gs twin
                          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I wouldn't call a Corvette luxurious or soft enough to be a grand tourer. Usually the distinguishing characteristic between a GT car and a sports car is the amount of focus on comfort and luxury vs weight and performance. Corvettes definitely historically, and today, sacrifice luxury and comfort for performance-per-dollar. More comfortable in the more recent generations than in the C4 and C5 generations due to magnetic suspension, but definitely not "90% GT"

Good example of a grand tourer is an 850csi. A hundred thousand dollar V12 powered car that could be outrun down the 1/4mi by an early LT-1 powered F-body on account of the 850's considerable weight, and performance laughable in comparison to an equivalently priced 911 of the time. Performance clearly wasn't the primary focus here, but it was lauded for being a comfortable high speed cruiser.
                            Last edited by varg; 07-29-2019, 05:49 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

Z06s only accounted for 28.9% of overall sales last year, making the majority of Corvettes sold Stingrays and Grand Sports.

You may be talking performance, I'm talking usage. If you don't think a Corvette is soft enough for touring use, drive one back-to-back with a 21"-wheeled Carrera. The Corvette is cossetting in comparison. Add in the fact that autos had a 78% take rate across the board in 2018 (with 72.1% of Z06s being auto) and it's pretty obvious what their typical usage is.

The E31 840/850Ci were comfortable cruisers in their own right, with their 16" standard wheels.

Corvette will never be able to shake the stigma that they're "made-it-mobiles" for middle America.

Edit: Yeah, I'm biased as hell. I'm letting my bias control the direction I'm going with this. I just REALLY hate the way the C8 looks. It's like everything else on the road today: bland and a mashup of other cars.
                              1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

[QUOTE=

Edit: Yeah, I'm biased as hell. I'm letting my bias control the direction I'm going with this. I just REALLY hate the way the C8 looks. It's like everything else on the road today: bland and a mashup of other cars.[/QUOTE]

looks like everything else on the road today??!?!? where do you live again?!?!

Comment

Working...
                                X