Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bentley Publishers Refuses to Let Us Know Why the Bentley Manual Hasn't Been Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bentley Publishers Refuses to Let Us Know Why the Bentley Manual Hasn't Been Updated

You know how the Bentley manual has never been updated to include 1991 M42 models or even Motronic 1.3? Well I asked them why. This was their response.

"Thanks for contacting us.
    A good question, but unfortunately, the reason is proprietary. If we did have information for the public, we definitely would share it on our site. So, for now, I have been no help, but thought you deserved a prompt reply."

So it's a complete mystery...
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

They probably won't update it as there is no financial gain to do so, and I'd be shocked if they moved over 1k units per year. Or they just want you to get the E36 one as well.

In reality, the resources available, both to the home mechanic, and a shop, make something like that manual obselete.

Comment

Or perhaps they need permission from BMW who won't provide it
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Well yeah, we don't really need it, but the Bentley is a nice book for the home mechanic. The factory repair manual covers what the Bentley doesn't. It's just kind of strange the Bentley was never updated and it was out of date even when it was published since BMW was producing M42s and using Motronic 1.3 for the M20 for over a year before the publishing date.

Factory manual: https://cardiagn.com/bmw-e30-factory-repair-manual-pdf/

Torque specs: http://www.e38.org/bmw_torq.pdf

Comment

I haven't touched my Bentley manual in like 10 years. It was nice as a beginner, but yeah - we don't really need it. the BMW TIS, ETK and ETM are better. The Bentley manual is also riddled with errors. I think everyone should have one (it's a good reference) but it's not needed to repair your car - and if it's modded, most of that stuff is useless anyway.

BTW, I have all three E30 manuals - Bentley, Haynes, and Chilton. Actually I think the Bentley is the weaker of the three. IIRC the Haynes even has stuff on the 325ix which the Bentley completely ignored. I still don't really use it though.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            I haven't touched my Bentley manual in like 10 years. It was nice as a beginner, but yeah - we don't really need it. the BMW TIS, ETK and ETM are better. The Bentley manual is also riddled with errors. I think everyone should have one (it's a good reference) but it's not needed to repair your car - and if it's modded, most of that stuff is useless anyway.

BTW, I have all three E30 manuals - Bentley, Haynes, and Chilton. Actually I think the Bentley is the weaker of the three. IIRC the Haynes even has stuff on the 325ix which the Bentley completely ignored. I still don't really use it though.
            You like the Haynes manual, really? The one that has the 3 and the 5 in it, or is there a stand alone?

Bentley really wins with wiring info (yes, some is wrong/missing), and with actual directions/torques specs, which Haynes often omits for no apparent reason. Chilton is just fire starter.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

You like the Haynes manual, really? The one that has the 3 and the 5 in it, or is there a stand alone?

Bentley really wins with wiring info (yes, some is wrong/missing), and with actual directions/torques specs, which Haynes often omits for no apparent reason. Chilton is just fire starter.
              Sorry, I had them backwards. Chilton's has a lot more in it that's missing from the Bentley (including the IX). Haynes is basically bad toilet paper.

The wiring diagrams in the Bentley are totally useless IMO. They are too generic and missing too much stuff. The ETM is far more useful.

If you've never owned an E30 or worked on one, it's fine. But beyond that honestly I think you can skip it.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Still think it's funny that the only manual on my shelf I grabbed lately was the E36 Bentley one to look up stuff for my M42. Now, if I still had either a Chilton or a Haynes I'd be screwed for any of the values/testing procedures I wanted.

Still mad that a Haynes manual had me do a bunch of unnecessary stuff on my first really big auto project I ever took on, replacing a crank sensor on a Ford Lima engine. Could be that the job just sucked mightily too, and that may have colored my viewpoint.

As to Chilton, it's the only manual I ever actually threw away, because their US production A2 GTI info was 100% wrong. Then again, it was a VW I was working on.

Comment

Why would they bother when you can download the entire thing for free in 100 different places on the internet and no one is stopping it.

Comment

I like it for torque specs. Although the later manuals are layed out much nicer.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

It seems that the Bentley book was written by a person who didn't actually work on a E30.
                      When there is a complicated step, the book gives no information about it.

These How-Tos are much better, but only few repairs are covered.
                      Detailed DIY write ups with pictures for your E30 from Classic Bimmer Bits.

Comment

Always seems to be like that, 200 steps on how to remove the oil filler cap but a mere remove and replace for a valve on a double vanos engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                          It seems that the Bentley book was written by a person who didn't actually work on a E30.
                          When there is a complicated step, the book gives no information about it.

These How-Tos are much better, but only few repairs are covered.
                          https://classicbimmerbits.com/e30-how-to/
                          The instructions on that site appear to be M20 specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post

The instructions on that site appear to be M20 specific.
                            I actually don't like when Bentley mixes content for different engines, configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                              Anyone have this as a single PDF?
                              sigpic
                              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                              X