No announcement yet.

The new Tesla truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are all talking about, and its all over the internet. Tesla's marketing team are loving it. Any publicity is good publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
      my wife and i are borrowing a model 3 right now from tesla. i have to say its pretty fucking awesome. we are thinking about getting the sleeper performance model. 0-60 in 3.2

dual motor so all wheel drive. roomy cabin, decent handling, comfortable seats, ridiculously quiet cabin, great visibility.....all in all a great girl car.

ive seen a few videos of fit and finish issues from over a year ago. the example we have sitting in our driveway doesn't seem to have those problems.

she drives about 200+ miles a day for work, so a car like this makes a lot of sense. we will be saving well over 300 bucks a month in fuel costs not to mention maintenance.
      Your payment on a well optioned Model 3 will be 3x your fuel costs. I looked into one a few months back and with a few options, it cost as much as an M2. Doesn't make sense if your goal is to save money.

Comment

Just buy a used econobox if you want to save money. Buy a new car and get raped by depreciation to save a few grand per year....hmmm
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I drive a diesel f350 for work, towing a trailer 100% of the miles. I would guess that to tow something you would need to fill half the trailer with battery?

i dont understand what the EV industry is after? Is the goal to eliminate petroleum, or, maximize the consumer cost per mile? There have been diesel/electric locomotives, ships, heavy equipment drivetrains for well over 50 years now, I dont understand why “they” cant engineer a small diesel/electric combo for trucks.

whatever Tesla ends up selling as a “truck” will just be an experiment. Obviously, its ugly and not untilitarian, so who knows who will buy it and actually use it to replace a half ton truck.
          My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
          I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

A lot of electric cars have the ICE/electric combination, they're called hybrids and they are everywhere. I'm sure they are not in trucks because the companies have determined they wouldn't sell well. Maybe they will come in the future.

Trailers with a base of batteries is a really interesting idea. You could easily stick twice as many batteries below a trailer and have powered and braking hubs.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
              I drive a diesel f350 for work, towing a trailer 100% of the miles. I would guess that to tow something you would need to fill half the trailer with battery?

i dont understand what the EV industry is after? Is the goal to eliminate petroleum, or, maximize the consumer cost per mile? There have been diesel/electric locomotives, ships, heavy equipment drivetrains for well over 50 years now, I dont understand why “they” cant engineer a small diesel/electric combo for trucks.
              The Chevy Volt was more or less diesel/electric locomotive tech adapted to a car with a petrol engine charging the batteries. I can't understand why we haven't seen more diesel hybrids since the tech has been around a long time like you mention, but I'd say it's because it's not sexy for the marketers.

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

The BMW i3 has an optional range extender and all it does is charge the batteries. 38hp 647cc 2 cylinder.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  The BMW i3 has an optional range extender and all it does is charge the batteries. 38hp 647cc 2 cylinder.
                  Cool, I wonder if its an actual BMW engine. Is there an M version?, lol. That concept reminds me of the really old school farm equipment where they had a tiny gas engine attached to the intake whose job was to heat the air before the cold start of those old big diesels.

I agree, having modern battery tech inside the trailer base would be pretty significant being that their power/weight ratio is so much better in recent years.

My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

I think the i3 engine is based of the rotax engine used in the bikes. I wish a company would make a performance oriented fun to drive hybrid that did not cost $100k. Hybrid still seams like a better option than electric in every way possible, but countries already planning on banning internal combustion is steering all development to full electric.

Comment

I just saw a YouTube demo where a guy actually use a Model 3 to see how it would fare towing a 4xxxlb trailer wit it's 5klb max rating. The battery consumption went from something like 300kw/h to 700kw/h on flat ground and over 1000kw/h for pulling up hill. Basically if you match your vehicle's weight, it appears that it uses nearly 3x the battery, so consumption is exponential, not so linear.

I have thought about the hybrid thing since I was a kid in the early 80's. "Why don't cars use locomotive-style propulsion?" Well, seeing the YT video showed me why. My 10hp v2 brush-less generator can put out about 2400 watts RMS, 5000 on peaks (but it overloads far earlier), and gets about .5 gal/hr fuel consumption (watts not KW!). If it takes a Tesla 10,000 watts per hour to pull a trailer - not going to do the math right now, but if the fuel:watts ratio isn't a great conversion....

john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Not only that, but the only reason big locomotives use a diesel-electric powertrain is the fact that a hydraulic drive is worse in just about every way and a direct drive through a transmission would be quite complex, expensive and maintenance intensive. Such a thing is too lossy to make sense in a car unless it's coupled with a battery bank and regenerative braking thus making it a hybrid which is fairly different from a diesel-electric setup like the ones in locos. Electric traction motors are lower maintenance and more efficient than hydraulic traction motors, wiring is also more robust and lower maintenance than large hydraulic lines. It's also easier to use dynamic braking with an electric traction motor than a hydraulic one, since dissipating energy through a resistor grid is a lot simpler than the hydraulic alternatives. There is some manner of regenerative braking in some modern locomotives, but I don't know of any that are carrying big banks of batteries around like a hybrid car.

IG @turbovarg
                        '91 318is, M20 turbo
                        [CoTM: 4-18]
                        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                        - updated 1-26

Comment

My brain can’t compute how they can get 250-500 miles out of that thing with such an unaerodynamic design and up to 3 motors. Battery tech must have underwent a revolution since I last read up on EVs
                          1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                          1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
                            My brain can’t compute how they can get 250-500 miles out of that thing with such an unaerodynamic design and up to 3 motors. Battery tech must have underwent a revolution since I last read up on EVs
                            supposedly the telsa truck is significantly more aerodynamic than a conventional pickup truck

Comment

Unaerodynamic? Look at it from the side, compare to a real pickup. The corner on the roofline is obviously not going to be as aerodynamic as a smooth curve but that's kind of the whole point of what they did, and with the covered bed and windshield/hood being collinear it is a fairly aerodynamic design. Granted its design inherently compromises its utility as a truck, making it more comparable to a chevy avalanche or old ridgeline than a truck anyone would actually use for truck things, but it is likely that it has a lower Cd than a pickup truck.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Demeteres
                                Yeah, it's pretty aerodynamic. I think Tesla has smart engineers, and they certainly wouldn't mess up such an important aspect like aerodynamics. I like Tesla for their bold solutions and for making a huge contribution to popularizing electric cars.
                                Heh. The spammer likes Tesla.

Comment

Working...
                                X