Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's name some 30 year old daily drivers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Now that I posted this, I am realizing that old Volvos are plentiful on the roads around here. Interesting comment about the wiring made above. Is it soy based and rodent attractive?

    Comment


      #17
      I see so many Volvo 240s still on the road. It was my first car, solid option for sure.

      People daily Vanagons, but I can't imagine why. They must be nuts.
      AWD > RWD

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
        Surprised XJs haven't made the list. They're solid, but gas mileage is pretty meh.
        Which XJ? These days Jeep XJs seem to be either nice but expensive, hacked up trail rigs, or clapped out garbage. And Jaguar XJs are only good as a domestic V8 recipient

        Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
        Now that I posted this, I am realizing that old Volvos are plentiful on the roads around here. Interesting comment about the wiring made above. Is it soy based and rodent attractive?
        I don't know what it is made out of, but it falls apart and the wires short out. I'm sure an untold number of Volvos have wound up in the junkyard because of it at this point. It is a well documented problem. Sending a bunch of cars to the junkyard prematurely because the wiring insulation was biodegradable sure was an eco friendly move, eh? Morons
        @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (18psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
        [b u i l d]
        [Car of the month: April 2018]

        0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by varg View Post

          Which XJ? These days Jeep XJs seem to be either nice but expensive, hacked up trail rigs, or clapped out garbage. And Jaguar XJs are only good as a domestic V8 recipient
          Hah! I definitely had Jeeps in mind, I haven't heard of any reliable 30 year old jags out there. Jeep XJs are on a similar trend to the E30, but if we're just thinking daily driver status I see clean 2wd variants on craigslist quite a bit at least down here in Texas. Not the ideal Cherokee, but 2wd is enough to get the job done.

          Comment


            #20
            XJs are really great.

            I daily'd a 93 Ford Ranger for years and years with absolutely zero problems. 4 banger with a 5-speed was plenty for 95% of what I needed to do from a truck perspective.
            Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
            COTM Aug 2019

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by zwill23 View Post

              Hah! I definitely had Jeeps in mind, I haven't heard of any reliable 30 year old jags out there. Jeep XJs are on a similar trend to the E30, but if we're just thinking daily driver status I see clean 2wd variants on craigslist quite a bit at least down here in Texas. Not the ideal Cherokee, but 2wd is enough to get the job done.
              What's amazing is how much of a beating those things will take. My XJ had zero oil pressure at idle on hot days for the three years I drove it and I overheated it one day pushing the limits to get it home when the coolant system was failing. Engine still ran perfectly fine with zero issues afterward. Great end of the world cars IMO.
              Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
              COTM Aug 2019

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
                What's amazing is how much of a beating those things will take. My XJ had zero oil pressure at idle on hot days for the three years I drove it and I overheated it one day pushing the limits to get it home when the coolant system was failing. Engine still ran perfectly fine with zero issues afterward. Great end of the world cars IMO.
                The way people are talking about this virus the end of the world might just be upon us :P

                Comment


                  #23
                  Other E30s without an M20b25... I think all the E30 engines are pretty reliable. I've seen half million mile M42 cars. I think the M40 had a few issues, but of course they weren't sold in NA. I'll also say Volvo 240 and Mercedes 190e. I still see 80s & 90s Honda Accords & Civics on the road and some old Toyota Camrys.
                  Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    E30 325e - low revving torquey engine makes it the best E30 engine to daily, esp with automatic transmission. These engines will clock diesel miles due to their low revving nature. Probably the best looking 80s car ever made.

                    Mercedes 240D (W123) - there’s a reason these are still being used as taxis in Morocco. Unfortunately these are slow to the point of being undriveable.

                    Volvo 240 - probably the safest 80s car given how much people waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles out about the lack of safety in 80s cars. Side note: what is it 240 and being a fantastic 30 year old daily? 240 must have been a magic number back in the 1980s

                    80s Toyotas Corollas/Honda Civics - built like tanks but are cheap feeling Asian tin cans with shitty driving characteristics and hideous looks

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

                      I prefer my shitboxes to be French, so Le Car for me.
                      i miss mine... had one in high school.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        my other vehicle is a 92 GMC sonoma that my grandpa bought new. Still runs and have repainted it. Havent done much with the engine outside of maint and replaceing valve seals and springs.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I daily my E30, but if you want something more comfy nothing will beat a 190e

                          Comment


                            #28
                            While none of my cars are typical "daily driver" as in daily 20 mile work commute or anything like that, they are all ready for use at any moment and rarely let me down.

                            1978 Ford F-150. Dirt simple and pretty bulletproof
                            1989 Toyota Pickup, 3.4 swap from later 4runner/Tacoma
                            1988 325iX, turbo, all sorts of crap bolted to it
                            1985 Porsche 944

                            I probably drive the Porsche the most, while the Toyota is the one that gets driven across the country. I would go so far as to say a well maintained 80's/90's vehicle is debatably quite a bit more reliable than many more complicated modern cars....

                            325iX Turdbo RallyX/Beater/Shuttle Vehicle

                            Comment


                              #29
                              '88 Suzuki Samurai
                              '88 BMW 325ix

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Fraser View Post
                                While none of my cars are typical "daily driver" as in daily 20 mile work commute or anything like that, they are all ready for use at any moment and rarely let me down.

                                1978 Ford F-150. Dirt simple and pretty bulletproof
                                1989 Toyota Pickup, 3.4 swap from later 4runner/Tacoma
                                1988 325iX, turbo, all sorts of crap bolted to it
                                1985 Porsche 944

                                I probably drive the Porsche the most, while the Toyota is the one that gets driven across the country. I would go so far as to say a well maintained 80's/90's vehicle is debatably quite a bit more reliable than many more complicated modern cars....
                                +1, less electronics and less to go wrong = more reliable.

                                I always wondered if a mid to late model 944 would be a good daily. I constantly wonder about daily driving a late 90's r129 SL500 instead of my e30.
                                My e30 is my daily and has never let me down. And long distance we are up to (5) 2000+ mile road trips.
                                1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X