No announcement yet.

How bad new car visibility has gotten: E30 vs F30 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most new cars have horrible visibility, with the forever need to make cars more aggressive (and bigger) it makes the bathtub higher. Add in pedestrian safety and a host of other safety things it changes the greenhouse. Aerodynamics plays a huge part too, the E30 is a brick in comparison to new cars.

The F30 isn't too bad, jump into a new Camaro or Challenger, those are awful!
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Now let’s compare rollover protection....was that even a test when the E30 was designed? Lol
      Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
      past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
        Now let’s compare rollover protection....was that even a test when the E30 was designed? Lol
        Glad it wasn't, otherwise we would not be driving the E30s we have now.

1990 325i
        2004 330i Individual 6-speed
        sigpic

Comment

1) spammers are annoying
          2) man, the F30 is so ugly. It's like 90's GM or something (Buick Century?).
          3) The visibility in my E90 is OK, but honestly, I get a little weirded out when I drive my E30 now - it's like driving in a glass bubble.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I also have a 1994 E30, I find the vision is good, no problem with it when driving
            Last edited by Davisjaime; 12-25-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

One would have to be out of their Melon to want an F30.

Comment

I got so used to driving my e30 and being able so see everything. Every time I get in a newer vehicle, it amazes me that I can't see shit. It took me a while to get used to my e46 when I bought it. My 2002 Toyota 4Runner on the other hand has great visibility. There's so much glass so see out of.

It seems like every year the windows get smaller on newer cars. The 2010 and up Camaros have always been bad. And the newer crossovers/SUVs like the Toyota C-HR have increasingly smaller back windows. I'm not sure why that's necessary on a vehicle that sits higher up to begin with.

Will the government and car manufacturers ever realize that part of safety is being able to see your surroundings without having to hear a beep or see an LED light up on your side mirrors?
                '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

People who drive 2002's might say the same things about E30's. They had toothpick A & B pillars and taller side glass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	785614_22924637_1971_BMW_2002TII.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	9934914
                  R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                  └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

Strong pillars and excellent visibility are not mutually exclusive.

Signed, former Volvo 240 owner.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

I miss driving an E30. The last one I drove I was selling a few years ago, transitioning from a Land Cruiser to an E30, back to a Land Cruiser is a strange feeling for sure. I've grown to like my luxobarge quite a bit.

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                      Most new cars have horrible visibility, with the forever need to make cars more aggressive (and bigger) it makes the bathtub higher. Add in pedestrian safety and a host of other safety things it changes the greenhouse. Aerodynamics plays a huge part too, the E30 is a brick in comparison to new cars.
                      This. Especially sedans 2 or 4 door or anything in the last 10 years really.

Originally posted by varg View Post
                      Strong pillars and excellent visibility are not mutually exclusive.

Signed, former Volvo 240 owner.
                      This. I still remember the Top Gear episode when they dropped a Volvo body at the same height as another car. Obviously the pillars didn't completely flatten like the other car.

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        One would have to be out of their Melon to want an F30.
                        This flew over most peoples heads... but not me sir... not me.

Bravo!

Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                          This. I still remember the Top Gear episode when they dropped a Volvo body at the same height as another car. Obviously the pillars didn't completely flatten like the other car.
                          IIRC that was a SAAB

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by DÌEGØ View Post
                            I rolled an e30 like 6 times down a 300ft cliff and walked away
                            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                            Q
                            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I rolled an e30 like 6 times down a 300ft cliff and walked away
                              You got lucky, if i had my choice in which car I would want to be in any kind of accident it would not be the E30. Not that its bad, its just not even comparable to a modern car.
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                                IIRC that was a SAAB
                                Oh, you may be right.

There's no question, new cars do save lives with all of their safety features.
                                Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X