Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30Rossi's Full Build - Overhaul - 5 Lug - Bay Shave - M54 Swap (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What an amazing amount of work! You should feel very proud.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brown View Post
      What an amazing amount of work! You should feel very proud.

Bill
      Thanks man! I appreciate that. It's very easy to forget how much actually went into it, so this thread made me look back and be proud of how far I've come!
      ​

1989 BMW ​325i - M54B30 Swap in Progress
      IG : e30rossi
      Montreal, Canada

Comment

So this weekend, I learned how to work with putty. Not the most enjoyable experience, filler was too cold, and dried up, heated up the can and it went a little better, but overall not a fun time!
        I have to give my respect to anyone that does bodywork for a living, this take lot's of patience and skill.

My goal with this is not SEMA perfection, but to be proud I did it myself and learned some things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	375.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	10082551

Name:	376.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	10082553

Name:	377.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	10082552
        Starting to shape each section up

Name:	379.jpg
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	10082554
        I keep trying to focus on the end result! Will be all worth it!
        ​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

Name:	378.jpg
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	10082559
          When I first built the rest of the car, I undercoated it all, but stopped where the Trans was because it was in the way and I knew it would eventually be removed
          There's a few areas that didn't ever dry properly and stayed sticky, and everytime I work around the shifter, tranny or driveshaft, my hands would get covered in rubbery gunk

I decided this was the perfect opportunity to remove and recoat these areas, because hopefully the car won't be in pieces like this again

Starting scrubbing down any dirty or oil, and wire brushed a layer of the stock stuff to get rid of the sticky undercoating

Name:	380.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	10082557
          Planning on shooting undercoating below the tape line since this will all be hidden by the engine

Name:	385.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	10082558

Name:	384.jpg
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	10082560

Applied seam sealer to all the welds and repairs in the fender wells

Name:	386.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	10082556
          Recoated the fender wells with Gravel Guard
          Finally a hint of progress! This area is DONE

​
          ​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

Name:	388.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	10082563
            Spent a few hours sanding down EVERYTHING in the engine bay, getting closer and closer to paint, but it's a crazy amount of work
            My goal for paint keeps getting pushed but these steps are necessary!

Name:	387.jpg
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	10082564
            This is how she sits after hours of sanding. Next weekend the plan is to finish the putty in the engine bay, get the removable rad support welded together and installed
            and hopefully get a coat of primer on everything if all goes well!

Name:	382.jpg
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	10082565
            Also removed the pedal assembly so it will be easier to reassemble everything on a bench
            I was thinking of powdercoating it , but it's in great shape so it might just get a good cleaning and new bushings!

​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

Name:	381.jpg
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	10082569
              Took another look under the dash, which i'm soooo tempted to remove to go through everything
              I need to address this wiring situation.. but I have so many other things to deal with
              PO installed a car starter/alarm and I've always wanted to rip it out since it's from 05
              The problem is there's splices everything, in the ignition and I need to take my time and go through each wire

Name:	383.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	10082568
              Can someone confirm, this is only the ABS computer, and can be removed completely if I don't have ABS anymore?

Name:	389.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	10082571
              Also found a few connectors under the dash that aren't connected
              If anyone has any insight, would be appreciated!
              This one comes down from the top of the dash, looks like it goes over the cluster towards the middle of the car

Name:	390.jpg
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	10082570
              There are the 3 that are disconnected if anyone recognizes one! The right 2 lead to bigger harness that heads towards fusebox or somewhere up behind the dash
              ​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

I dunno if it's the same with newer cars or not, but my clock was powered by the cluster through a connector that looks just like these smaller ones.
                I mean if your clock was working or is connected then my point is irrelevant and you can carry on.

In that case I would trace the wires back to a connector or splice that I can identify.
                Then look through the electrical troubleshooting manual, go through the splice locations or ground locations, and walk back from there, see at which point the wires you're looking at come together.
                It's not easy but well, you either know what it is or you're about to find out. You don't strike me as the "just tuck it in and forget about it" type.

Comment

Can someone confirm, this is only the ABS computer, and can be removed completely if I don't have ABS anymore?
                  You got it!

Comment

Originally posted by hozzziii View Post
                    I dunno if it's the same with newer cars or not, but my clock was powered by the cluster through a connector that looks just like these smaller ones.
                    I mean if your clock was working or is connected then my point is irrelevant and you can carry on.

In that case I would trace the wires back to a connector or splice that I can identify.
                    Then look through the electrical troubleshooting manual, go through the splice locations or ground locations, and walk back from there, see at which point the wires you're looking at come together.
                    It's not easy but well, you either know what it is or you're about to find out. You don't strike me as the "just tuck it in and forget about it" type.
                    I found out the 2 black ones are door chimes, orange someone said maybe srs but i have no airbag!
                    ​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                      You got it!
                      Nice! More room under there and less bulky wires is what i like to hear πŸ˜‚
                      ​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

Awesome build, thanks for sharing so much detail, loads of useful info in here!

Comment

Originally posted by SPANNER RASH View Post
                          Awesome build, thanks for sharing so much detail, loads of useful info in here!
                          I'm just going with what i've learned from research and figuring out as i go along, but im glad you can take something from it πŸ™πŸ» thanks!
                          ​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

Name:	Screenshot 2023-01-23 190221.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	10082698
                            This might be your orange connector (C240)

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                              This might be your orange connector (C240)
                              So this would be present on a non-airbag car? I guess ill just disregard those connectors then! Thanks!
                              ​

Montreal, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by E30Rossi View Post
                                So this would be present on a non-airbag car? I guess ill just disregard those connectors then! Thanks!
                                Don't know. It's possible if it's a late or transitional car, it seems BMW doesn't make multiple body harnesses for different option levels and there are pigtails for things that sometimes don't exist in a given car. There are no other 6 hole connectors that I know of under the dash of an E30.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X