No announcement yet.

My daily '84 318i m30 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car is looking great Glnr13! Will follow your progress on the tucked radiator with interest - I'd like to do one on mine so that I can reinstate a clutch fan and run AC.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

will do for sure, Luke.

installed a VISracing hood that i've had in storage for years. euro valance to go on maybe this weekend.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200618_165306.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	9933022
      sigpic

Comment

This is a dream setup. Always wanted to build a no/low optioned ‘84 with an M30.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Got a little bit of soldering to do Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Comment

Quick mock up of RHD ITB kit and inventory check. Fuel rail back ordered. Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
            sigpic

Comment

Glen with the low-key flex

Glen_____________________ Translation
              "got some wiring to do" _______I got a standalone to build and wire up
              "laid out some new parts" _____Just dropped major $$$$ on ITBs!!!

ok bruh NBD! lol
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

i'm making up for the months/years of not posting any progress pics
                sigpic

Comment

Do you plan on running some type of air filters?
                  Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                    Do you plan on running some type of air filters?
                    yes, not sure if going to run the ones that clamp over each trumpet or one of those big ITG ones. I'm hoping I can get these to tune without needing a plenum/IAT.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
                      Quick mock up of RHD ITB kit and inventory check. Fuel rail back ordered. Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
                      cool build so far! some inspiration to finally jam my M30 in.
                      85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Cant wait to see standalone/ITB progress.

What modifications did you do to get the IE headers to fit?

Also, there is very little info on the wiring required to swap an m30 into an early 318 on the interwebz. Did you use a 320i harness or something?
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

Also, there is very little info on the wiring required to swap an m30 into an early 318 on the interwebz. Did you use a 320i harness or something?
                          isn't the only difference the square vs round c101?
                          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Are you gonna run a MAP sensor to a vacuum manifold?

That should work fine without a plenum
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              Cant wait to see standalone/ITB progress.

What modifications did you do to get the IE headers to fit?

had to dimple the runner above the motor mount. painful to do that to a brand new set of headers but, it fits and it works + no one can see the dimple from up top.

this is the pinout. I spliced and soldered the harness, cut an end off of the harness from the junks.
                              Pin 15 has no use on the m30. It's kind of really trippy that the m30 can just run on the 7-8 pins off of the m10 harness.

Click image for larger version  Name:	e30 harness pin out.png Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	9951175

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                              Are you gonna run a MAP sensor to a vacuum manifold?

That should work fine without a plenum
                              yeah, it'll be MAP on a manifold for sure. Reading about IAT aiding in tuning but we'll see down the road. doesn't look there's really any room to get a plenum in there anyway due to the brake booster.
                              Last edited by glnr13; 09-17-2020, 04:58 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Awesome work. Curious about the clearance of the entire engine and the radiator, not just at the distributor cap, but also at the waterpump. Keep the content coming dude. And here's an awesome video to keep you motivated: https://youtu.be/I2il7mYVi1g
                                Paynemw
                                1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                                the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                                1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Working...
                                X