• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sledgehammer_01 View Post
    Interested to see how it changes the cars drift behavior
    No drifting occurring in this thread.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Coming to the r3v brain trust with a few MS2 photos. I apologize for the phone photos but the laptop I use Tunerstudio on is terrible and I don't think it can handle a taking a screenshot right now. I've been messing around with ITB mode and tuning. In ITB mode it seems to be the smoothest so far. Like I've said elsewhere, I can get to about 40 mph or 4,000 rpm without much issue. The AFRs do tend to shoot rich while driving. It was suggested to me to try alpha-n so I switched the measurements over without changing my tables. I think now everything is way too lean and stumbles pretty early on in with regards to speed or rpm. I do plan to get to a shop eventually to really iron out the tune but any more early thoughts would be appreciated if people have personal experience. Stock m20b25 with ITBs. The maps started from base maps for the m20b25 that Whodwho included when I bought the MS2 from him.

Fuel map with ITB mode on...

Same fuel map just after switching to alpha-n. Only difference visually in this photo from the previous is where the ecu reads the idle from.

Ignition table.

Comment

Well without really paying much attention to the changes I was making I was wondering why on Alpha-N the drivability felt so much worse. If you see the y-axis on the second and third plots above, they're set for 30-200 % TPS. Not sure why that's how it is set but I fixed that range to be 0-100 with more cells being in the 0-50% range than the 50-100%. It made a huge difference but the fuel values are still definitely off still but we're getting there. Next thing to look into is why my TPS will not read input until what feels like 15% input. So that is hurting some low throttle input as it's never changing off that bottom rows of values on my new plots.

Comment

As long as it sounds badass at WOT it’s worth it.
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            As long as it sounds badass at WOT it’s worth it.
            That's coming eventually. Haven't had a good chance to really get on it yet!

Comment

You will never get it tuned with tps dead spot. I don’t know what tps you have etc but Are you sure it is clocked correctly?
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                You will never get it tuned with tps dead spot. I don’t know what tps you have etc but Are you sure it is clocked correctly?
                Considering I didn't even realize this was a thing, good chance my issue is here. I'm using the e36 vTPS that was recommended by RHD.

Last time I had everything apart I was adjusting the throttles but had the TPS installed on the end so maybe that started it at the wrong spot. Looks like a have something to do this weekend now.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

Considering I didn't even realize this was a thing, good chance my issue is here. I'm using the e36 vTPS that was recommended by RHD.

Last time I had everything apart I was adjusting the throttles but had the TPS installed on the end so maybe that started it at the wrong spot. Looks like a have something to do this weekend now.
                  I don’t know about that particular sensor and setup of it whether it’s slotted and needs to be clocked etc but need to check voltage open and closed and that it’s continous. Then make sure the 0 and 100% in the software has the right voltage
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Long time no update. Not sure why but I just haven't been motivated to do anything with the car lately. I did get a new TPS put on. Genuine BMW 13-63-1-721-456. Fixed the wiring too, well got the order correct. I don't know any better so if someone has comments about the connectors I use or a better way to set that up, let me know. One other thing I noticed was tightening the bolts down hard, squeezed too hard and hurt the smooth sweep. So tighten all the way, back out just slightly. Perfect sweep and readings now.

Made it to a cars and coffee with the car. People seemed confused with the engine. That's what it's about.

And the local auction house does a collector car auction in May every year. One of the cars was a M3. Euro's don't typically do great in this crowd. Made it to 52k, I think, but reserve not met. Not sure if sold after or not.

Comment

Just a few days shy of 10 years of ownership. Figured I'd post some recent photos for the occasion.

I've been able to enjoy the car in the late summer through the fall and would occasionally just go out drive to take some photos. Parking the car for the next couple months to hopefully get around to replacing the brake line and I got a timing belt kit to put on. Can't believe I've had this engine as long as I have. Also still debating if I should replace the gas tank or not. It's rusty and had leaking issues a few years ago but now I never fill up completely and always park on flat surfaces so I don't see any leaking.

Looking into doing the E32 master cylinder with the brakes. And probably sticking to the early model tank with dual pump set up. Undecided on stock booster or change there. Would really want to remove ABS module so I can put an air filter box to the end of the ITB plenum but dang, should probably stop deleting work parts.

Anyways, on to the photos...

Had some fun taking photos of the car with different focal lengths so the next three are 18mm, 70mm, and 200mm. The car didn't move and I tried to maintain same amount of frame coverage in each for a better comparison.

Made calendars again for next year but switched from landscape photos to car photos I've taken. I think it turned out pretty nice.

Comment

Pretty lengthy photo update. I've been working over the past two months to replace the brakes, yeah I'm slow. But I am doing pads, rotors, calipers, lines, parking hardware, and master cylinder. Only things I didn't change were the ABS unit and brake booster. Spread out everything on my workbench to work through it all in order.

Overall, it all went mostly smooth. Rockauto sent me a wrong caliper so after trying to get that on for a couple hours I measured it and noticed it was too small. Exchanged that but had to wait a couple weeks for the new one to come in.

Progressively got more and more sad as I looked under the car at various areas of rust. Some of which are junkyard worthy write-offs for the car. Who knows what will happen with this chassis moving forward.

Because I've had the front to rear hardline develop multiple spots of rust holes, I wanted to run new lines everywhere. I fresh purchase of a flare tool from Eastwood and cunifer lines (as recommended a couple years ago in this thread), lines were so much easier to make than with Harbor Freight or Craftsman items. I matched the general shape of the old lines but my bends are not as precise or tight, leading to some wonky looks once everything was back in. If I were to redo, I would probably go off script, bend what I want, and progressively check the fit as I go.

Went for a E32 master cylinder. It's slightly larger than stock E30 and should have a stiffer pedal. I think. We shall see if I can notice it after this is all done.

For the rears, I changed the parking brake hardware. Would probably recommend new backing plates as my driver side one was rusted and the lock pin took a bit to sit in the whole properly. It wanted to tear through the weakened material. New parking cables required pulling the old ones out. They were seized into the body tube pretty good. Used some vise grips/ locking pliers? to grab the cable where it meets the tube and twisted with a lot of force to break loose. Entertained myself by watching the Rolex 24 while doing this part. I need a garage TV.

Almost done now. Still need to adjust the parking brakes and bleed the system and I'll be back on the road.

Comment

That's awesome progress on the brakes!

The rust is concerning, but fixing that leads to paint, which leads to not being able to use the hood as a work surface, and that just wouldn't be efficient in a small workspace.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                            That's awesome progress on the brakes!

The rust is concerning, but fixing that leads to paint, which leads to not being able to use the hood as a work surface, and that just wouldn't be efficient in a small workspace.
                            You point out a very real problem of someday rust repair and painting this car... I would then care more about how it looks and would no longer be able to be rough with it. I'm not sure I'm a person destined for clean shiny cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

You point out a very real problem of someday rust repair and painting this car... I would then care more about how it looks and would no longer be able to be rough with it. I'm not sure I'm a person destined for clean shiny cars.
                              My general hoopty rule of thumb is to keep them safe and water tight. Slow down the rust as much as you can, and enjoy it for as long as you can.

As soon as shiny is the objective things are typically harder to enjoy by way of driving unless you are a psychopath, have F U money, or a combination of both.

A rust free shell with hoopty paint is not out of the question, but will take more time and resources than anticipated to reshell as you’ll want to do everything while you’re in there.

I sold two very low rust bad paint coupe shells in ‘23 for around a grand each, so when you find the right shell they don’t cost much.
                              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

A rust free shell with hoopty paint is not out of the question, but will take more time and resources than anticipated to reshell as you’ll want to do everything while you’re in there.

I sold two very low rust bad paint coupe shells in ‘23 for around a grand each, so when you find the right shell they don’t cost much.
                                Good to know. I keep an eye out but I'm stuck with west coast tax. I think about reshelling but don't see it as an immediate need to do. I'd like to give rust repair a shot, even if the chassis gets tossed after my attempt. Why not try to learn welding on something junky to begin with. Unless a crazy deal pops up, I'll own this car for at least a couple more years. At this point I'm sentimental so I would like to make it last.

Comment

Working...
                                X