Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2mAns Daily Driver Thread - who knows what it is today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
    i3s a couple years ago were mostly hovering around 15k IIRC
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I was shocked to see them nearing 30k.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

When I started to look, prices werent insane hovering around the mid teens. My hope was to sell the wagon and use that to pay cash for the i3, but that didnt work out. I ended up setling the Wagon for less than $12k, and the i3 I bought was around 17k. I paid a little more because I figured I wouldnt be able to pay for it completely in cash and I also hated that 90% of the cars are white/gray/black and I wanted to avoid those colors. Carmax/Carvana/ shift/ etc have all cornered the market so I couldnt get a private party purchase. When this one popped up on CarMax I 'scheduled' my appt to prevent anyone else from being able to see it/ buy it before me. Once I saw the color in person I was sold. I already have driven one and liked em.

Overall, Im happy with the car, not totally happy with the way the financials all worked out but all said, Its a great DD that I expect to keep around longer than the typical 12 months.

Place your bets! November is 1 year! haha
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

If you sold it tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised...

I was just on carvana looking around at i3s and saw some reasonably priced ones with about 50k on the clock.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          If you sold it tomorrow I wouldn't be surprised...

I was just on carvana looking around at i3s and saw some reasonably priced ones with about 50k on the clock.
          haha its definitely not going anywhere anytime soon. I have zero interest in letting it go... right now lol

Mine had just under 26k when I got it, I think Im close but not yet to 30k
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Service schedule came up but looks like it was just for an oil change and I’ve done that once or twice in my life so I thought I’d tackle it myself. Bought a factory change kit from bluntech and set about getting to work...

Things seemed to be smooth flowing, until I went to drain the oil. At ~34k and 5 years old I’m guessing this has had 1, maybe 2 changes. Whoever the last person was who changed the oil must not understand what a torque spec is because I put at least 50lbs of force through the ratchet before the 8mm Allen took a spin, but not the drain plug itself...

Today I ordered a new drain plug and also a few of the trashed ‘neoprene nuts’ for the engine lid... I’ll get this oil change done...eventually lol

Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

You probably should have hammered a torx socket in and called it a day, leaving the next oil change to the next guy.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                You probably should have hammered a torx socket in and called it a day, leaving the next oil change to the next guy.
                Thats how its coming out, and though it only needs ~18ftlbs I dont want to roll the dice and make it even worse trying to put that much torque on it when Im tightening it...

New Drain plug should arrive today. I might be the next guy changing the oil soooo dont want to screw future-2mAn by lazy 2mAn antics
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

I can tell from the pic of the plug the socket was not sitting in all the way. hehehe Always tap your allens in until you hear it smack the end. It's a 21 ft lb torque spec fyi.

Also, something may have been torqued to 18 ft lbs, but that doesn't mean it takes equal force to remove it a year or so later.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

If you have trouble getting that plug out with a torx, try using a hammer and chisel.

Put the chisel on the outer edge of the drain plug and orient it tangentially, and then hammer it out. I've done that on diff drains before. It works pretty well.

Comment

Well, another year passes and I'm officially at 2 years with this car. The CEL has been on for quite some time and the scan has always stated a minor leak so I've ignored it. Knowing the extended CA - Emissions warranty was ending soon I figured it was a good time to let the dealer touch it... hesitantly.

A trip to Santa Monica BMW started with a ~$777 estimate based on $250 to "Inspect" it, another $250 to diagnose the CEL (shouldn't that be part of the inspection?) and then a little more than $250 to do the scheduled brake fluid flush. Within a day the estimate doubled as they say they needed more time to diagnose the CEL, and also requested another $1500 to change my brakes because they were "too low." I declined the brake service knowing BS when I can smell it and then began the battle about the rest. That initial $14xx for additional diagnosis resulted in 2 parts that needed to be replacing costing me ~$650 and then about $2500 in parts. I challenged the Service Advisor to back up all the BS with them backing down from the ~$3200 to address the CEL all the way to a final bill of $14xx which covered the brake fluid flush and replacing all the parts. BMW USA had to step in and cover the cost of the $500 valve and all the labor. In the end Im both happy and sad. So frustrating to deal with a dealer, but happy that the CEL is off and service is up to date.

That said there's a good chance this car is going away soon as Inflation in all of my expenses VS an employer who decided I wasn't worth any more in 2024 than they paid me in 2023 means I have to find places to trim costs, and eliminating a monthly payment and the associated extra Insurance it brings is likely the easiest solution... I could sell the 911 and keep this but I'm a car guy. I make stupid decisions...

All of this could be avoided if my YouTube Career would take off, but it hasn't so its time to go through another shuffle...
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Does the Rex require a “smog” I have about 9 months wirh mine only about 3k miles though . So far so good

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          VS an employer who decided I wasn't worth any more in 2024 than they paid me in 2023 means I have to find places to trim costs.
                          I think that means that your value doesn't align with their five plus year projections, and we shouldn't really be spending as if we expect to always have more money, but rather, to the income we have now.

That said, as your automotive investment advisors, you should sell your "E30" and buy an E30.

Comment

I3's are on the Used EV list tax credit if anyone is looking.

I've actually been torn between I3 and Prius. The new BMW arn't doing it for me so I lost some love for the I3. Cheaper daily < MORE E30

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Well... it was fun while it lasted. Let’s see what happens and what’s next. This one sucks to sell, but life forced this decision, not anything on the car itself.

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 2017 BMW i3 REx at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #134,168.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Bummer, upsizing or downsizing?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X