e30mclow's e30 #14 - Now 1.5jz + 6 Speed

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • e30mclow
    replied
    Some updates as of late..

    What I had hoped was going to be a clean(er) shell to swap everything into, turned out to be hiding secrets. I suspect it may have been a salt water flood car at some point, as everything under the underseal was crusty. Everything from the bottoms of the doors up was immaculate.

    Rats had also made a home in the heater box, which rusted out the rain tray under the dash, as well as down into the driver side chassis leg.

    In the end, I decided it best to chop it up to be used as a donor for the rust issues of my current car.


    The main issue being that my roof was very rusty, so a simple plan was launched.








    I drilled out all spot welds from the 6 pillars to achieve as much of a lapped joint as possible at all points. I also added additional metal 4" above and below the interior laps.
    It look a lot of measuring, but ended up mm perfect.





    It was then a case of making the ~300+ spot welds and the 6 butt welds.
    While at that, I also addressed some minor rust in one corner of the scuttle.



    Having cut anything needed from the donor, off she went to become bean tins.


    The roof is now 100% on and I've been picking away at minor rust issues here and there.




    In the last week I've purchased a new air compressor and will begin fitting out the garage so that I can paint it at home.
    The plan is to paint it once the weather and humidity calms down.

    Having played with some test panels, I've decided on a 1950s Packard color, which you can see here..






    The interior is going blue


    I'll go dark carper, then blue door cards and seats. I'm becoming brave enough to try a blue dashboard too..









    Lots and lots of planning while slowly executing, but we'll get there.

    Leave a comment:


  • econti
    replied
    Originally posted by varg

    The 12V and 24V BMWs could sound like that too if anyone put equal length turbo manifolds on them, but they're already a nut access nightmare as is with the odd runner shapes that the lean forces people to adopt.
    Buddy with M54 turbo E36 drift car has equal length stainless, it sounds good but VVTI 1JZ just has that special something about it. Specifically the VVTI ones sound the best despite being a tad worse for power

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by econti
    It's frankly not fair how good 1jzs sound
    The 12V and 24V BMWs could sound like that too if anyone put equal length turbo manifolds on them, but they're already a nut access nightmare as is with the odd runner shapes that the lean forces people to adopt.

    Leave a comment:


  • econti
    replied
    It's frankly not fair how good 1jzs sound

    Leave a comment:


  • onesecond
    replied
    What's the plan for the colour?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30mclow
    replied
    Updates

    Got some wheels:




    Got the iBooster setup finished:
    Tiiiiight


    Installed the 1000cc injectors and retuned it:


    Tried playing with left foot braking and the iBooster:
    Binned it lol






    I had a spare trailing arm so it was back together the following morning. I then discovered the hub itself was also bent, so I put a new one in last night. Now I think the rotor and/or brake caliper bracket are also bent.
    It was quite the hit. The iBooster is far too instantaneous for an uncalibrated left foot. While sideways and intending to gently apply the brake to control rear wheel speed, all four locked in a flash and I hit things that don't move.

    Next up will be MK60 ABS, which I'm actually going to hold off on until I commence the next phase of this build, which is completely scrapping it lol

    I found a shell with an immaculate roof, whereas mine is beyond fixing. I'm going on 8 years now with this car, which was just a poor but running $1,200 shell, so I'm very much way too far into it for what it is. The running gear deserves better.


    I'll be starting a full nut and bolt of this new one soon, along with a full color change, which is exciting!
    Last edited by e30mclow; 03-28-2025, 07:28 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • OSAH racing
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn

    Caymans dont count
    I know your 996 is awesome and we are talking different levels of awesome. IMO until you get the GT3, 911 the Caymans the better drivers car.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by moatilliatta
    996s are the modern E30..
    Caymans dont count

    Leave a comment:


  • moatilliatta
    replied
    Porsche's are the modern E30..

    Nice do see you're keeping the E30 going, Gearbox been good since the repair?

    Leave a comment:


  • e30mclow
    replied
    Originally posted by s14brent

    car(s) looks great!! i think all of my 1j friends are now 1.5jz also....its apparently jz ownership rite of passage!!
    For me, in hindsight, it was too aggressive of a clutch pressure plate which killed mine. I inherited the clutch with the donor car, and with it being a $1,000 top shelf item I decided to put up with it for a few years. Daily driving it did the damage. Ironically I've been on a Rock Auto 350z no-name clutch for the last 2-3 years without issues. Absolutely beating on it and it has lasted for only like $275 lol

    Leave a comment:


  • s14brent
    replied
    Originally posted by e30mclow
    Maaaan I need to update this thread soon.

    The 1jz developed crank walk, so I went 1.5jz with a 2jz bottom end. I then spun a bearing in that, rebuilt it, and have since gone E85.
    I've also moved from Newfoundland, Canada, back to the US - Ohio!
    car(s) looks great!! i think all of my 1j friends are now 1.5jz also....its apparently jz ownership rite of passage!!

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy

    AYE, e30s are kinda classy now, it’s get not 2006 anymore.
    Go get a haircut hippie

    Leave a comment:


  • MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn

    Definitely need to update this thread!...

    Looks like a C4S. Start its own thread, we gotta class this place up lol I think this will be our 3rd or 4th R3V Porsche owner
    AYE, e30s are kinda classy now, its not 2006 anymore.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by e30mclow
    Maaaan I need to update this thread soon.

    Also doing Porsche things

    Definitely need to update this thread!...

    Looks like a C4S. Start its own thread, we gotta class this place up lol I think this will be our 3rd or 4th R3V Porsche owner

    Leave a comment:


  • e30mclow
    replied
    Maaaan I need to update this thread soon.

    The 1jz developed crank walk, so I went 1.5jz with a 2jz bottom end. I then spun a bearing in that, rebuilt it, and have since gone E85.
    I've also moved from Newfoundland, Canada, back to the US - Ohio!

    Currently 3.0L bottom end, 1JZ non-vvti head, 650cc injectors, GTX-3576R, Link ECU and Flex Fuel.
    Going to step up to 1000cc injectors shortly, after I finish my Bosch iBooster setup.













    Also doing Porsche things

    Leave a comment:

Working...