Coundn't Stay Away // $600 24V Sedan rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coundn't Stay Away // $600 24V Sedan rescue

I haven't really been too active on here since 2017 or so. Moved away from my home state, sold my house (and garage) and eventually sold my long-termed owned, many times swapped, e30 HPDE car. Pretty depressing. I've definitely been lurking on here, watching the market go crazy, laughing at the e30 craze on BAT while secretly regretting selling each and every e30, e34 and e39 m5 that I'd ever owned. I'm feeling a bit domesticated these days, I have a 5th gen 4runner, LIMITED and an L322 Rangie and to be honest I've been itching for a project.

So one day I'm riding MTB at my local spot, come across this dude that's going the same speed as I am. We ride a couple trails, session a few of the good sections, and I find out that he lives on the street as the home I'm currently under contract on. He's talking about the neighborhood, then mentions that he's got a car out in front of his house that's going to get towed if he doesn't sell it- it's an old BMW that he bought as a project, but doesn't know anything about it. Has an engine swapped from a newer 3 series, suspension is "collapsed", overheats after 10 minutes, and its REALLY ugly.

I bought it, and it is UGLY.

Basics:
    - 1991 318i
    - VANOS M50
    - LSD, unknown ratio but it feels taller than a 3.73
    - H&R Race with cheapo shocks
    - Chalkboard paint over spraypainted primer. Absolute garbage

Plans:
    • Cosmetics
      • Paint - I'm going to pay someone to paint this thing. Not sure of how I'm going to do it yet, but there is a shop back in the ATL area that I know does good work. Current plan is to take the car down to a friend's house in that area, strip it and drop it off. Going to be a long turn-around time but it should work out ok with my house purchase and all that. I think I can pay $3-4k and end up with something that looks really nice.
      • Interior - I'm working on picking up a recently totaled, super clean late model sedan that was posted on here. The car is destroyed, but interior is super nice, and I'm planning to rob that along with any usable trim / fiddly bits because mostly everything on the 24V car is trash.
    • Drivetrain
      • It actually runs pretty great all things considered. When i picked up the car the owner though it had a blown HG because it would overheat after 10 min of driving, but it ended up being the infamous 24V swap + M42 rad combo being difficult to bleed. Filled it both ways through the upper rad hose and it no longer overheats. I'll probably just clean things up and run this M50/ZF combo for a while
    • Suspension
      • When I bought the car, it wasn't drivable because the tires rubbed like crazy. Owner had just bought these Sparco wheels for it and put 205/55/15's on it. He was thinking the suspension had "collapsed" while the car was sitting and that was to blame, but after some further investigation, I found out that it had some 25mm spacers that were fused to the rotors, which obviously wouldn't work well with that tire size. Chiseled those things off and everything works fine.
      • I'm really missing going to the track, so I think I'm going to go that direction with this thing. There are a lot of really nice parts coming off of my old car that I think I'll end up buying. True coilover MCS 2-way remotes are the big ticket item, and total overkill for a $600 weekend car, but we'll see how that goes. Also considering picking up my old NASIEG 5lug kit with e46 M brakes. Not thrilled with the 17" wheel fitment options though, and not sure if I want to be locked into that all over again
    Not really sure about any of this stuff, but I figure any e30 is worth saving these days. I'll also be moving into a new house and building a ~24' X 30' garage, so I'll probably track a little bit of that on this thread as well. Happy to be back, good to see a bunch of the OG's still doing e30 stuff
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Sick! Can’t wait to see the progress on this one and what a steal! I sure hope this thing ends up with MCS’s. Would be quite awesome. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad to see you picking up another project. Should be great
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That's a steal, especially for a working swapped car. I bet it cleans up nice and feels like a new car after a solid detail. I'm kinda digging the flat paint too.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Dang... the "primer looks better than giving my car a good wash/wax" crowd.. well, it looks actually pretty straight otherwise - and yeah, everything "vintage" is unobtanium these days - I find myself regretting selling "worthless" stock tape decks 10 years ago now. I can't find an original stereo for my E30 for the life of me that isn't $600. So, who cares about the paint - that's easy to fix! welcome back and congrats to good luck!
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Hell of a deal for a car that hasn't been through multiple wrecks/gutted interior/engineless chassis.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

great find and welcome back.

Comment

That's a great deal. Looks like a decent start for a project. I'm kinda digging the gold wheels with the black. Would look pretty good as-is if you got rid of the tinted tail lights and blue mirrors.
                '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Haven't really done much to it so far. Took it for what was likely its longest drive in years on Monday and it promptly opened up a crack/hole in the Raceland headers that are on it. Someone header-wrapped them at some point and they are pretty rusty as a result.

I also talked to a local paint shop yesterday that comes highly recommended for this type of work, planning to take the car by there and see what they say. I'm hoping to save money by pulling glass, trim, moldings,etc but it will need some jamb work unfortunately due to the thoroughness of whoever spray-bombed this thing in the past. If the price is right, I'm definitely going to get the ball rolling on that ASAP. I'll be a lot more motivated to put some work into this thing when it's less ugly, it looks a lot worse in person that it does in pics
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Congrats! If you decide on selling that rear spoiler then I'm 100% interested.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome back, looking forward to this one being built.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Nice pick up- I have always enjoyed your builds. Oh what I would give to just have one car to mess with. Excited to see where you take this one.
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Well, no real updates aside from a chassis swap. This thing popped up locally and I couldn't say no. I figured since I'm planning to paint a car, I might as well start with one that has already been dis-assembled

History- '88 325is, it was owned by some guys in NE NC, near VIR that worked at a bodyshop and it kind of bounced around between employees there. The guy I bought it from was the painter at said bodyshop and did a glass out/engine out re-spray on it back in 2007 or so. It was originally bronzit but was re-sprayed Calypso back then to a really high standard. It was supposedly damaged in a bar-fight shortly after the PO bought it, someone was thrown into the LR quarter panel and left a pretty large dent. He stripped it back down to be re-sprayed and then it sat in his garage for ~8 years.

My plan is to clean the hell out of it, pull the interior out, then drop it off for paint. We'll see how it goes.
                          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

What is better than 1 project? Why 2 projects of course :) Awesome $600 find. Are you keeping stock color in the respray?
                            OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                            84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Working...
                            X