X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panici View Post
    Thanks Matt!
    I do like the sound of that, would be lots of bright colours
    Or a more ‘classy’ harlequin with darker colors? Avis blue, Daytona Violet, Diamond Schwartz, etc. Just watch out for car being broken and buy a random panel 😆

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I was looking at this like
      "what are those ratchet straps around the headrest doing?"
      "Oh jesus, those aren't ratchet straps"
      #Driftlyfebruh

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

As I was reading this, I couldn't figure out which car you were going to save lol. Great job on getting the Canyonrot car back on the road! This just goes to show that anything can be fixed with a welder and enough time.
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

why didnt you just repair the green car? man had to be easier to put a door/guarter, little tug on the frame machine?
          We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

#Driftlyfebruh
            The ol' Spinecrusher9000
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I was looking at this like
              "what are those ratchet straps around the headrest doing?"
              "Oh jesus, those aren't ratchet straps"
              Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              #Driftlyfebruh
              Yeah they weren't even legit harnesses, just some no-name straps mounted to the stock locations.

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
              As I was reading this, I couldn't figure out which car you were going to save lol. Great job on getting the Canyonrot car back on the road! This just goes to show that anything can be fixed with a welder and enough time.
              Haha yep, had that thought myself a few times. Thanks! I've been driving it without any major issues.

Originally posted by BUDNUNTA View Post
              why didnt you just repair the green car? man had to be easier to put a door/guarter, little tug on the frame machine?
              Damage is worse then it appears in pictures. The whole side of the chassis is crushed in. The entire drivetrain was pushed forward. Mechanical fan into the radiator, trans & motor mounts snapped. Rear subframe bent.
              If I had access to a frame machine maybe fixing the green car would have worked. But this is a super budget project and I'm working out of my garage.
              Last edited by Panici; 03-22-2024, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Step 9: Sunroof Cartridge & Headliner Swap. DIY Front Lip.

The sunroof only went back half way before binding up in the roof. The interior fabric on the retractable panel was missing, and the headliner was filthy.
                Nothing that couldn't be fixed with more parts swapping!

I also cut the bottom off my spare bumper, flipped it over, and trimmed to make a DIY front lip.

Last edited by Panici; 10-22-2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Haha, love the front lip! That’s some old skool DIY tech! Approved

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
                    Haha, love the front lip! That’s some old skool DIY tech! Approved
                    Thanks Matt! I'm pleased with how it looks, and the price of FREE is always great.

------------------------

Some updates:
                    Have been driving the E36 without any major issues for the past four months.
                    The car is quite LOUD on the highway commute (earplugs recommended) but I have something planned which should help take the edge off the volume.

I did have the exhaust brackets fail for the blast pipes. Used a dog leash to get me home.

Also installed a 12" MTX subwoofer for a little thump in the trunk. Compliments the OEM 10 speaker Hi-Fi system nicely.

The car is fine in light snow but with almost no ground clearance, open rear diff, and all-season tires, it can't handle much more then a few inches.
                    Had a huge snowstorm today and had to dig my Jeep out to get to work tomorrow.

Comment

The E36 has been doing such a great job, so I decided to throw a few mods at it!

I'm leaving for work at 6AM, so my morning commute is in the dark. Better headlights are really a safety item, and these make a big difference.

15mm rear wheel spacers help with the rear fitment, even on stock wheels.
                      Unfortunately the passenger side rear jacking point failed while installing the spacers. Crunched up what was left of the metal under the plastic side skirt, and shot the jack right out the side of the car.
                      Thankfully I had three lugs on the wheel when it let go, so the car didn't end up on the ground!

Also my front lip has taken a real beating plowing through snow and ice. It's now split right down the middle so some extra zipties were needed to hold it up.

Headlight specs:
                      • Euro DEPO ellipsoid/projector
                        • Aukee H1 6000K LED low beams
                        • Hella H1 Halogen high beams
                        • I made harnesses for plug & play install with the north american 9006/9005 connectors.
                      • Fog light delete blanking plates.
                      • Custom exhaust silencers to take the edge off the straight-piped system.
                        • Cut slots, wrapped in steel wool, then wrapped in fiberglass packing.

Comment

Still driving the E36 (As of mid-April 2022).
                        Works as a snowplow until it runs out of ground clearance.

Put on some used tires for the Style 42 wheels. Used the mint spare wheel as the driver's side front.
                        Style 42 specs for my reference:
                        205/55R16
                        7x16" ET46
                        Can run a 20mm spacer in the rear.

Bought an LTW replica wing from Aliexpress and went with the quick and dirty install method on the trunk.
                        Ended up using the high risers, and filling the wing with spray foam for stability.

The wing really draws your eye up and completes the look IMO.

Last edited by Panici; 03-22-2024, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Of all the threads that could make me want an e36, this is somehow the one.

Comment

Style 42 enjoyers truly are the kings of E36 owners. I've got 8, now 7, for my drift car. So light and also cheap
                            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Of all the threads that could make me want an e36, this is somehow the one.
                              Maybe it's the underdog factor; Take a couple beat and worn E36 and make one that is a driver.
                              Also there is something endearing about the multiple colours to me. They've grown on me and I'd be hard pressed to make everything match!

Originally posted by econti View Post
                              Style 42 enjoyers truly are the kings of E36 owners. I've got 8, now 7, for my drift car. So light and also cheap
                              I do think they fit the chassis well.
                              IMO they have design cues from the older Style 5s the same way the E36 has design elements from the E30.

Comment

^ Agree with both of those points. I also think the 4door/M52 contribute for me. Something about 4door sheetmetal availability after I considered resurrecting a rusty coupe, and I'm partial to OBD2 24V stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X