• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers guys, I'm super stoked
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Whats your compression ratio?

Also, can you share a screenshot of your ignition map? Understandable if you don't as you paid for it!
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I am running CP 8.5:1 pistons and the copper head gasket is a little thick probably 2mm but I never measured the actual compression numbers.
        - Chris

Comment

You are running stock rods and crank? Congrates as well. Makes me want to go turbo and not N/A specially if I can pull 220+kw with stock rods and crank.
          sigpic

Comment

The stock crank is plenty strong. The stock rods are decently strong as well, but it is an area I would consider upgrading if you had the money.

In the bottom end, the factory pistons are the weak link.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

The stock M42 (not M44) crank and rods are forged. I am quite confident this setup will go close to 300kw once I wind the boost up more. I kind of wish I put rods in it, because my tuner was being a girl about revving it any harder :P
              - Chris

Comment

Made it through the first event not without drama but I made it!

-coming home from scrut Thursday night got a flat tyre on the trailer (not so fun)
                - Friday morning same wheel feel off trailer, broken stub axle!
                - Monday morning rip exhaust off car trying to get off borrowed trailer. Got it patched up just in time for first run.
                - Second run intercooler pipe comes off, hmmm did that on dyno, reassemble should be sweet.
                - Third run, nope off it goes again.
                - Fourth run all apples, rigged up some dodgy tie straps to the inlet.

Obviously this turbo setup was never going to be super awesome for a Hillclimb, add in that I had installed a 3.46 diff to suit Wakefield and Eastern Creek and it wasn't super pleasant. But I am pleased to have had a day out, simple easy to fix dramas and it came home straight and ready to go again, more than can be said for a number of cars that were competing also.

Got some sweet pics too :)

- Chris

Comment

Awesome pics!

Comment

That's intense! Keep sharing. Sharing is caring.
                    Turbo M50 4 Door Build thread here 4 Sale thread

Comment

Intense? Nah thats just me driving, was pretty average too! Amazing how much confidence you loose after a year out of the seat!

I booked some time off work so now I gotta get it prepped for Eastern Creek (same track as WTAC) on 25th of October.
                      - Chris

Comment

Car looks great!

Comment

You have a ZF trans I assume?

Would you want more gear or less?

I have 3.73 in my car with a ZF, but havent been able to drive it much to see if its too much gear.
                          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Nick,

It's a Getrag G260 and 3.46 rear. The car will do 160kph in 3rd gear. So yet it was a bit too tall for the smal tight Hillclimb. Bit should be perfect for holdi 4th gear at Wakefield and winding it out down the straight at Eastern Creek
                            - Chris

Comment

Gotcha, I didn't think about the 260. Yea that wouldnt be the best gearing for a hillclimb!

Unfortunately we dont really have much for hillclimbs here. I am jealous you have the opportunity to compete in one!

What class do you compete in? Is it based off engine displacement (plus multiplier for FI?)
                              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

this build wins all m42 boost builds, including mine. props

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                                Ig:ryno_pzk
                                I like the tuna here.
                                Originally posted by lambo
                                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                                X