Yoshi's build thread S52 on 1 bar... kinda

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dj Buttchug
    replied
    ^ actually heat soak is quite an issue in my bay. I had big problems on the dyno. Not so much actually driving because of more airflow but i still dont have the intake temps i would like. Water cooled turbos are better imo.

    Leave a comment:


  • SwiftE30
    replied
    great effin build man. Subscribed for sure. One question though, from what i have read, with the size of engine bay the e30's have, heat soaking shouldnt be an issue, so why are you set on water cooling your turbo?

    i only ask because i am starting my turbo build now on my s52 e30 and planned on going w/o water cooling.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    The intercooler is mounted with the end tanks resting on the frame rails. I had to cut the buckets of the head lights to get the 3 inch 90 degree bent couplers around. It's held in by the bumper and some crappy little metal tabs I fabbed in 2 seconds. I always meant to make it better but never got around to it lol.

    and I like plushies.

    Leave a comment:


  • goarmy
    replied
    great stuff!!! Do you have any pictures of where you mounted your intercooler??

    Leave a comment:


  • FunfGan
    replied
    Originally posted by shiboujin
    I'm... not used to approval.... so confused. Why aren't you making fun of me?
    Sorry, why is your valve cover purple and why do you have a stupid plush toy hanging from your tow hook? A little desperate for attention are we? :D
    Last edited by FunfGan; 01-28-2012, 09:13 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • ak-
    replied
    Originally posted by shiboujin
    I'm... not used to approval.... so confused. Why aren't you making fun of me?
    You car is blue. :p

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I'm... not used to approval.... so confused. Why aren't you making fun of me?

    Leave a comment:


  • FunfGan
    replied
    This is looking awesome Yoshi! Going to be awesome.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I just defiled it by having an elbow tigged onto it (90 degree bend).

    Leave a comment:


  • Dj Buttchug
    replied
    that turbo is glorious

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    Got a bunch of crap done today. Realized I had no hard line to the master cylinder so I have to order that. Somehow lost the air temp sensor so I'm ordering another one of those. The GTX needs coolant lines since it has provisions for it. No way in hell I'm running this turbo without it.

    Radiator is in. Both pusher and puller fans are in. I also managed to fab in a fan shroud. So hopefully I won't have anymore heating issues. Brake lines are finally hooked up. Aside from rotors the rear is done and aside from caliper bolts, the front suspension is done. I also finished putting on all the body panels. I've got a few things left but I see the end coming. I'm ecstatic!
    PIIIX!


    Under body shot. Nothing impressive but before I started the assembly process, nothing was there.


    Engine bay shot. Got the injectors in and bolted down a bunch of things. Still need to bolt down the intake mani but that will be one of the last steps.



    front suspension with some lovely overspray. Yay new suspension parts. You can see the parts of the front bumper that isn't "perfect" lol.



    I have quite a bit of clearance between the motor and radiator.


    Shiny manifold all bolted down tight.


    yay body panels. Car needs a wash.


    Note the spot behind the middle of the door. chipped off a bunch of paint redrilling the pop rivet holes. I'm probably going to be doing another 2 layers of paint eventually. I'm not really that worried anymore. The car already has lots of fg cracks, chips, and other crap. Eh, track car. Doesn't have to be perfect.


    You can see how the passenger's side sags a bit. def coming together though.


    So close.


    Looks good in pictures IMO. Can't tell where the big eater hole was or where the washer sprayer nossles were.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied



    What a great way to spend crap tons of cash. This is a GTX3576 with a 0.82 A/R turbine housing. It was suggested to me by a bud from motoiq/garrette. Kinda have to figure out how to run the coolant lines (all are on the other side of the engine bay). Sux the EFR didn't work out. This works though.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    The DB37s don't fit through the stock harness hole but they fit fine through the old AC line holes in the firewall. I'm gonna take my chances with the DB37 plugs. I'll keep that in mind though in case I have a change of heart.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    the DB37s don't really fit through the firewall, the wire gauges of the BMW harness are too big for the tiny pins to crimp well, it's a pain in the ass to connect it up and screw it down, etc.

    I've got an 88 pin end you could have. I can tell you the pn's for the pins from mouser.com, theyr'e cheap. then you could crimp the end of the 88 pin connector on your custom harness to whatever pins you'd like to use.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I have like 3 M50 harnesses. None of which have the original 88 pin connector lol. Why such a pain when it's directly wired? My harness is stripped of everything but the bare essentials. The relays are all of my design. The car never ran on an original M50 ECU and won't be reverse compatible.

    Leave a comment:

Working...