Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2mAn
    replied
    I get that, I bought another car to drive while Im building my motor also. Im glad I came across this as I have an aluminum block M52 that I wanted to paint soon, and yours came out great. Hope you dont mind me stealing your method and color choice as it looks amazing. oh, and I almost bought that M50 from Keith, small world.

Leave a comment:

• mdlimy
    replied
    Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
    Black, do 'em black.
    definetly thinking about it...

Originally posted by 2man View Post
    dope. love the fab work. any eta on when it might be done??
    Thanks man, honestly i have no idea, i kept setting my self goals but things happen and i would get stressed over it so i decided that it gets done when it gets done. Would like to have it driving in the next couple months.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    dope. love the fab work. any eta on when it might be done??

Leave a comment:

• Farbin Kaiber
    replied
    Black, do 'em black.

Leave a comment:

• mdlimy
    replied
    Finally finished up all my side jobs and got to paint the motor this weekend!

Cleaned the whole thing real well with scotch bright, tooth brush and brake clean. Then I did a two stage etching process to prep the aluminum for the paint. That process started with an acid wash which was mainly a phosphoric acid just to clean the aluminum then a chromic acid based chemical that causes a chrome conversion before the aluminum can oxidize and allows the paint to bond to.

I didnt snap any before and after pics but this is after the whole process was done, the motor was left to dry over night. Notice the gold color, thats the chromic layer that was formed.

One picture with flash and one without....

I am presented with a new problem, the whole motor is silver, will have blue R covers but i cant decide whether i should paint the accessories(alternator, intake, fuel rail, pulleys,etc) the same color as the motor or a different color. Im not feeling the gray i had planned, but i feel like i could easily end up with wayyyy to much silver....

Leave a comment:

• mdlimy
    replied
    Originally posted by benyen soljax View Post
    That engine bay makes my jealous. Mine is filthy. No brake booster?
    remote mounted, inside on the passenger firewall

Originally posted by Perry Wilson View Post
    Looks good man. You went a littke.more sterile than.im going though. I should be laying paint by next week
    Thanks dude! Cant wait to see yours! If you haven't already, plan to paint your motor. I wasn't going to until i saw my finished bay, it would be a crime to put even a remotely dirty motor in it.

Leave a comment:

• Perry Wilson
    replied
    Looks good man. You went a littke.more sterile than.im going though. I should be laying paint by next week

Leave a comment:

• benyen soljax
    replied
    That engine bay makes my jealous. Mine is filthy. No brake booster?

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    omg VOLVO SWAG

Leave a comment:

• ahriley91
    replied
    I love this thing. Keep it up man. Everything is looking great.

Leave a comment:

• mdlimy
    replied
    Car came home on sunday, pretty happy with it, couple spots that i'm disappointed with but for what i paid the painter i really cant complain, and its an engine bay anyways so once the motors in no one will notice.

Painted the master cylinder and stripped the motor to get ready to do a phosphoric etch before i painted it.

Leave a comment:

• mdlimy
    replied
    Originally posted by Perry Wilson View Post
    No I have sanded down the duraglass and redone it like 5 times because im anal and things have to be perfect. shot another coat of primer and found a dozen more spots I dont like. and no everything is going in car
    Good to hear man! I knew I would never be able to get mine perfect so I coughed up the money to have the finish work done and painted, best 500 bucks I've ever spent!
    Definetly keep your thread updated, we are headed in a very similar direction. I get my car back from paint tommorow so today I'm cleaning the garage and hopefully tommorow I get some time to wrap up a lot of the wiring inside and put the dash in.

Leave a comment:

• Perry Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by mdlimy View Post
    did you get any paint shot yet?
    are you leaving the fusebox in the bay?
    No I have sanded down the duraglass and redone it like 5 times because im anal and things have to be perfect. shot another coat of primer and found a dozen more spots I dont like. and no everything is going in car

Leave a comment:

• mdlimy
    replied
    did you get any paint shot yet?
    are you leaving the fusebox in the bay?

Leave a comment:

• Perry Wilson
    replied
    Originally posted by mdlimy View Post
    Actually in all honesty I haven't seen your bay I don't think, and I definetly haven't seen any other bays with plates in section at an angle, I just thought it would look good and went ahead and did it, really glad I did.
    Post some pics of your bay!
    what a cool coincidence http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=271107

Leave a comment:

Working...
X