Kamotors E30-Turbo to ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bullet Ride View Post
    Well, my 2.8 build with a 284/272 cam and headers made 180whp 180wtq on a street tune with basically no porting (only exhaust gasket match) and stock intake manifold. I'd imagine a 2.8 with a ported head, these ITBs and a proper tune would easily be over 200whp.
    that's good to hear. finally got my other ITBs sync'd properly (dbilas not RHD), and my long tube headers just showed up... how's the idle with a 284/272 cam?
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 318aye View Post
      Lifting it did make it easier. I had to shim the driver's motor mount an eighth. Other than that I followed the guide.

Is that the master link/throttle cable setup yours came with?
      Ya it's a redesigned linkage much easier to setup and has a better return spring setup

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
        Ya it's a redesigned linkage much easier to setup and has a better return spring setup

I think I saw it on the 24V stuff...how will you mount the grommet for the cable?
        sigpic

Comment

I think I saw it on the 24V stuff...how will you mount the grommet for the cable?
          It's all there and working has that little center bracket that holds it

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
            It's all there and working has that little center bracket that holds it

Ahhh I see it now. In the pictures it just looks like it's sitting there. Good stuff!
            sigpic

Comment

I'm very interested in what the setup will make with a 274, more cubes and some top end porting ;D
              2.8 with a proper top end and 272 will make about 214whp/202wtq ;)
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

holy cr@p is that true? need to talk John..
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  2.8 with a proper top end and 272 will make about 214whp/202wtq ;)
                  [threadjack] Is there a reason the 2.8 route seems heavily favored over the 3.0 route? Is there something I'm missing aside from custom pistons that makes the cost astronomically higher? I feel like the 800 bucks to get whatever compression ratio you want and use 135mm rods would be worth it. Open question to you, digger and whoever else. [/threadjack]

sorry kam.
                  sigpic

Comment

My view is, as long as you use the proper piston shape, you are ahead of the game on an 885 head. This was done because parts were in house ready to go aside from some balancing. That, he just dumped a ton of money in the car, and we discovered his expensive head was cracked, so that had to be replaced. Long story, I made a thread about it.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

Once you go OVER an 84mm stroke with a 135mm rod length the wrist pin on a custom piston encroaches the lower oil control ring necessitating support rings. This creates an extra gap for oil to get by along with becoming a point of friction/wear during warmup. In short, power is gained but longevity decreases. Additionally that wear/blowby is exacerbated when using 2618 alloy pistons.

Going 3.0L and larger is fine on a race car or a very aggressive street car, it just will not last nearly as long as a proper 2.5-2.9L (when I say proper I mean NOT using ghetto-machined stock cast pistons or the use of 130mm rods). If you are shooting for high numbers and don't mind building a new engine in 50k then go big.

I've got a write up on it if you shoot me a PM (it's a word document). Since I don't work at IE IE anymore, I don't feel like a cheesy sales guy in saying this was the premise behind designing the IE/MahleMotorsport 2.9L street-stroker pistons.

Sorry Kameron, but to your regularly scheduled program. Great to see you back with an ITB setup.
                      Last edited by SkiFree; 05-17-2016, 09:57 AM.
                      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I dont mind at all, this is the kind information that should be shared and posted.

I need to get some distilled water, oil, and I'm wanting to try this kind of sync. tool but summit racing nor anywhere local seems to have one.

The newer rhd setup has huge vacuum lines for the supplied vacuum block setup so my motion pro sync tool would need huge adapters to work. The new vac line barbs are like fuel line sized now and the motion pro tool uses the smallest vac line.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Just fit a larger hose over the smaller one, as long as you aren't losing vacuum, size won't matter. That sync tool is available on eBay for ~$50. I use that style.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

I used an old UNI-SYNC from my VW dual Weber days, ~ $20 on ebay

The major difference in the style you use is if the plenum is on or off

My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              Just fit a larger hose over the smaller one, as long as you aren't losing vacuum, size won't matter.

Yes, done this a million times.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

What's the reliability like with ITBs? My e30 is my DD. Would this be a good idea or not?

Comment

Working...
                                X