euro early 318i - blew M10, swapped another one, M10B2035cc NA ITB build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mirek E. View Post
    Car is now much better, engine have nice throttle response and it sound totally different. My engine had lower compression from factory, because it's version with catalytic converter, this "new" engine is catless version with higher comp ratio.
    Complete swap costs me circa 300 bucks and it was very worth it. :)
    I am happy how it runs now.

So, car is in perfect working condition. :)
    This is a great thread. I will have to go through the entire thing soon. I look forward to the M10B20 build too... 2035cc could still be considered 2L IMO haha
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Oh yeah, first plan was 92mm bore, but lately I changed my mind and went only with 90mm. I want it as reliable as possible and don't built engine with short lifespan. 92mm bore and 144mm rods will be much better, but not now. Maybe next time. ;D

Alex18i: You mean horzintal baffle from Massive? Yeah, it's really worth it. Since I hooked up oil pressure gauge, I can see oil pressure drops in corners. With IE crank scrapper, horzintal and vertical baffle, I never had oil pressure drops/starvation anymore.
      Everyone with M10 in E30 should do this to prevent all problems due to oil starvation. Lower oil pan is empty, there is nothing to stop oil from flowing away from oil pickup. And weld two tabs and bolt in stock S14 baffle with rubber flap is job for 2 hours.

A few days ago I received the best message from my friend. My pistons from IE, together with coated bearings and chromoly retainers are on the way to Czech Republic. :)
      So, build will continue soon. With nice shiny parts.

318i M10 '87

Comment

Oh noo, it's almost a year from the last post. Time fly really fast... So, it's time for another update. Due to work and life changes, engine build isn't going as fast as I wanted, but it's still alive. :)

Season is ending, temps go down here in Europe. Made ~10k kms on "new" engine without any issues. Runs strong, no oil consumption, everything works nice. Scored nice M10B18 engine.

But more important thing. New engine have some updates. In the end of last year I received pistons from IE. A few weeks after New Year I brought it all to local engine builder and machinist.

Block is bored to 90mm. Crank and rods measured, all looks good and It's in spec. Bottom end is assembled.

Assembled bottom end. IE Ross Racing 90mm 11.5:1 pistons, FCP Engineering 135mm H-Beam rods, 2.0 crankshaft.

Crankshaft, front pulley, flywheel and pressure plate is together balanced to 1 gram. So engine should run smooth, no vibrations etc.

Aluminium pulley with trigger wheel.

Custom made exhaust header. Used on M10B20 with 10.5:1 compression, 292 cam and Weber carbs. Engine made 170hp.

And now the best.

Dbilas intake manifold, custom ITBs, AE86 stacks...

I already have new flanges for stacks, so they now fits perfectly.

I post more pics after get my Flickr account back. I can't log in because they have some problems with migration from Yahoo... So that's all for now. :)

318i M10 '87

Comment

That's going to look and sound awesome once together
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

did you use a crankshaft from a 2002?
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I've got my flanges done by local machine shop. Fits nicely. Now I need to visit my friend with TIG welder a get it spot welded just for securing it in place.

I also started conversion from drums to 325i rear end with brake discs. Got it almost done, everything is new.

And yes, crankshaft is from 2002. I bought it from guy from Estonia. It's in nice condition, STD bearings.

318i M10 '87

Comment

good to see some more NA builds. is that an alloy toothed wheel? do they need iron?
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

As I understand it, the pulley itself is alloy and the toothed wheel bolts on to the back of it utilizing some slotted holes for adjustment. Pictured 8, 9 and 10 in post #123 lead me to believe so.
                  OP, I really need to know where you got hold of this toothed wheel, or if you had it locally made, can you get 1 or 2 more?
                  '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Very cool, I can't recall seeing an ITB'd M10 on here before. Looking forward to more! 6.3.6

Comment

Loving this build, PM sent!
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I made some progress since last post and here are a few photos...

Firstly, I ran into a problem with my build.
                        I already ported and matched head with Dbilas intake. Here is everything okay. But when I was about to pack the head and send it to my machinist for new valve guides and cutting new angles on seats and valves, I found a problem with valves. Old guides are so much worn, that they destroyed valve stems too... So I am actually trying to source a new valves and also guides for continuing in build. I really like oversize intake and exhaust valves from Ireland Enginnering, but postage and import charges costs more than parts... (IE want's 167$ for postage, which is absolutely ridiculous. I bought heavier and bigger parts from USA and never paid so much for postage...) So I am actually waiting for reply from EU dealer of VAC parts, since they also offer oversize stainsless steel valves.

You can see the sharp edge on stem. You can feel it with nail, so garbage.

And here is some junk I bought. Heads locally, crank is from Finland. Another M10B20 crank in collection. :)

And lastly

That's all for now. See you next time. And also, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

318i M10 '87

Comment

Working...
                        X